Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2018, 10:47 AM   #1
PeterBel
Registered Member

8020 Extruded Aluminium Stand and tank Build

Because there is few posts on building a Stand with 8020 or Extruded Aluminium, i decided to share my current build. Hopefully this would be helpful for some :-)

The stand is made of 8020 25 Series, the legs are 50mm by 50mm (5050), top and bottom frame are 25mm by 50mm (2550) and 2 transversal at the bottom 25mm by 25mm (2525)

I got it in Black anodized, which takes longer to process. I also decided to use the internal fastener type, which required some extra machining time. In my opinion, it makes the build a lot stronger and also looks better.

To overall dimension of the stand are: 64" Long x 24" wide x 36" High

I am planning to get a 64"x 24" x 18" tank to go on top of it

I ordered directly on the 8020 website after getting no follow-up from a local distributor! I had to figure out all the holes, cuts and hardware myself! By some miracles, everything came out as planned

Now that i have the frame done, i am planning to install the top and bottom shelves, some panels (doors), wire and tubing management tray, pull out shelf / tray, etc...

This will be a work in progress for a while, i will share more about the tank itself and equipment on a later post.

After 9 weeks of patience, i finally received my order from 8020!

Unpacking the Aluminium.

Building the top first, then legs and bottom.

120G shallow Build in Progress...

Current Tank Info: 100G, MarsAqua 165W x 2 Led, DCT-8000 Return, Curve 7 Bubble Magus Skimmer, Low Profile Overflow, Custom sump, BRS Reactors, Full APEX, Salt Station, ATO, Auto-water change, Kalc reactor, etc...
PeterBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2018, 11:02 AM   #2
spiritwalker
Registered Member

Looks clean. How much did it set you back?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

spiritwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2018, 11:12 AM   #3
PeterBel
Registered Member

The aluminium frame + All the hardware came up at ~$1300 shipped. The stand setup with the doors, and all accessories will probably cost ~$1800 total when done. I know it is expensive, but it will allow me to expend the stand fairly easy if i upgrade in the future, this should be my last stand build for life lol...It is also lightweight, easy to move and disassemble.

Because of the slotted frame, it is also very flexible in it's configuration, almost like Lego's lol, only your imagination could limit the possibilities!

I am always upgrading, moving stuff around, changing equipments, etc.. To me it was a really interesting solutions!

Current Tank Info: 100G, MarsAqua 165W x 2 Led, DCT-8000 Return, Curve 7 Bubble Magus Skimmer, Low Profile Overflow, Custom sump, BRS Reactors, Full APEX, Salt Station, ATO, Auto-water change, Kalc reactor, etc...
Unread 10/07/2018, 01:29 PM   #4
spiritwalker
Registered Member

That's not too bad. Heck I spent probably 600 or more and a month's time building a custom stand in cherry.

Looking forward to seeing updates.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

spiritwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2018, 04:42 PM   #5
drtrash
Registered Member

Loks good

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2018, 10:31 AM   #6
PeterBel
Registered Member

New Triton44 sump, slowly adding equipment to the build :-)

Unread 10/17/2018, 01:24 PM   #7
Justintegra
Registered Member

Where are you getting the tank from? I like that dimension you mentioned. How many gallons is that?

Justintegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 07:32 PM   #8
PeterBel
Registered Member

It will be a custom made SCA Aquarium.

The website: www.scaquariums.com

Unread 10/17/2018, 08:09 PM   #9
PeterBel
Registered Member

King StarBoard Stand Top!

Got my Stand Top today. I selected to go with a Marine Grade high-density polyethylene 1/2" Thick in black.

I am very happy with the result, also solid like a rock! Will never rot, warp or be affected by water :-)
The bottom of the stand will be from the same material, but in light gray!

Got it from Tap Plastic, here are the specs and pictures:

Quote:
King StarBoard® is the original marine-grade high-density polyethylene sheet and the industry standard. It is the product of a proprietary process called K-Stran™, the most advanced manufacturing process for superior flatness and consistency. King StarBoard® is environmentally stabilized to withstand the harshest marine conditions. It will not warp, rot, or delaminate when exposed to humidity or water. King StarBoard® is easy to fabricate with standard woodworking tools and requires little or no finishing.

The stuff on the right side is just dust that i didn't clean before taking the pictures

Last edited by PeterBel; 10/17/2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added details about it
Unread 10/18/2018, 09:57 AM   #10
McPuff
Registered Member

Very cool! Where did you get the polyethylene?

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 12:18 PM   #11
PeterBel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Very cool! Where did you get the polyethylene?
From "TAP Plastic", they do Cut-to-Size Plastic & Acrylic Sheets!

Unread 10/28/2018, 04:49 PM   #12
PeterBel
Registered Member

Started to build the panels, first panel done. I decided to try to use a white laminated panel that i cover on one side with a Self adhesive wood paper. I am pretty happy with the first result.

Now it is time to work on the 3 front doors and left side panel. The back will be open with some cable trays, manifold and pipe brackets attached directly to the 8020 frame.

Unread 11/11/2018, 01:06 PM   #13
PeterBel
Registered Member

Stand Done! Here is the final result! Now i will work on building a light fixture using 80/20 and the same finish. I am planning to have the Aquatic Hybrid T5 61" and 4 Kessil in the canopy.

Unread 11/11/2018, 08:55 PM   #14
ReefingHavoc
Registered Member

I’m actually looking at 80/20 for my lights as well and employing the same lighting system. Do you have a design in mind for the use of the 80/20? I’ve can’t seem to decide on how I want to use it (1 arm or 2, hanging wires from 80/20 or attach directly, add pivot or leave stationary)

ReefingHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2018, 11:07 PM   #15
PeterBel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefingHavoc View Post
I’m actually looking at 80/20 for my lights as well and employing the same lighting system. Do you have a design in mind for the use of the 80/20? I’ve can’t seem to decide on how I want to use it (1 arm or 2, hanging wires from 80/20 or attach directly, add pivot or leave stationary)

Yes, i have a very specific design, i didn't draw it yet but here is the idea.

Using the same 80/20 25 series, create a rectangle "box" using 25mmx50mm, probably 10" to 12" high x 24"W x 64"L that will fit the exact measurement of my stand. Same panel and faux wood between the 80/20 to give that nice finish look.The canopy support should be 2 x 25 series 25mmx50mm attache at the back of the stand and use flange to be able to move it up or down (not sure how far i will go up yet) and hinges to push it completely up for maintenance etc...

The light fixtures will be hidden in the canopy and i will install a few fan and a thermistor to activate them.

You got the idea :-) More to come in the next few weeks when i start to work on it! For now, i only have the Kessils and need to buy the T5 Hybrid 61", i am waiting hoping that it will be on sale this Black Friday

Unread 11/12/2018, 08:56 AM   #16
drtrash
Registered Member

Nice job

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 09:22 AM   #17
PeterBel
Registered Member

A picture with the door open.

Unread 11/12/2018, 11:35 AM   #18
gamjunior
Registered Member

Great job, was looking at using this material for the light set up on my new tank I'm about to start building and now after seeing this I think I will build the stand out of it also. I've been on the 80/20 website looking up parts and you are right about figuring out where all the counterbore holes need to be.

gamjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 12:55 PM   #19
PeterBel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjunior View Post
Great job, was looking at using this material for the light set up on my new tank I'm about to start building and now after seeing this I think I will build the stand out of it also. I've been on the 80/20 website looking up parts and you are right about figuring out where all the counterbore holes need to be.
I really suggest to get the 80/20 people look at your order before buying it. Especially if you are a newbie to 80/20 like i was. They will most likely prevent you to make any mistake on the locations of the counterbore holes, you can even send them your drawing with the dimension and they will create a BOM (bill of material) for you.

I say this because i didn't! I had to reorder 2 pieces that had the wrong counterbore holes location

Also, be ready to be hit by a train when looking at the price of the anchors / fastener and how many you need

The extruded aluminum by itself is not that expensive, it is the hardware that add up fast.

Unread 11/13/2018, 07:05 AM   #20
gamjunior
Registered Member

Thanks again for the info, I just sent them an email with my measurements.

gamjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 08:42 AM   #21
PeterBel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjunior View Post
Thanks again for the info, I just sent them an email with my measurements.
Nice, keep me posted on how it goes and what they are suggesting

Unread 11/15/2018, 11:13 AM   #22
BayBHuey
Registered Member

Hello there

Very nice cabinet you made...I think it looks fantastic...that sump looks sweet too

Im getting my popcorn ready for the show...looking forward to your updates

BayBHuey

BayBHuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 07:55 PM   #23
jffoley
Registered Member

Nice work! Really looks good.

I used the 8020 stuff for my light canopy. Versatile stuff fersure.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2463 - Copy.jpg (60.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2464 - Copy.jpg (73.5 KB, 29 views)
jffoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 02:13 PM   #24
PeterBel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jffoley View Post
Nice work! Really looks good.

I used the 8020 stuff for my light canopy. Versatile stuff fersure.
I'm about to do something similar for the Canopy, will post pictures when it is done :-)

Unread 12/09/2018, 05:42 PM   #25
coral2002
Registered Member

👍 Good job!

coral2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8020, aluminium, extruded, polyethylene, stand