Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/06/2017, 08:42 AM   #1
soulpatch
Registered Member

Vertex RC-6D pump replacement

Has anyone replaced the pump on the Vertex RX-6D?

I got my unit hooked up finally after sitting in its box for 3 months and the pump is dead I believe. It runs so hot it will almost burn you and makes a buzzing sound. I have looked at the internals and see no issues but I am guessing it is siezing on itself and generating immense heat as it is locked in place. At this point I still have not turned on the reactor due to this.

I have messaged Vertex (the California unit via FB to start before I try calling today) and am awaiting a response but at the same time I see this pump setup as a major weak point that I wish I had given more thought to before I purchased it.

As is has anyone figured out a way to sub in a new pump to the unit? I am assuming the main chamber is a simple 3/4 union (sizing needs to be determined) and could easily be swaped onto another pump. The main intake/gassing chamber though has a unique locking cap. I was thinking of cutting off the bottom elbow PVC fitting, replacing with another and using another type of union to connect to the pump.

But I am curious if anyone has done anything of the sort that would have pics OR and probably more importantly if someone thinks my idea has a bad step in it....

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 10:14 AM   #2
gcarroll
Registered Member

The pipe and fittings are most likely metric. I wouldn't start cutting on it. You may just have a faulty pump. It is nothing special. Just a Sicce. Are you sure the pump is not airlocked?

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 11:25 AM   #3
soulpatch
Registered Member

The pump is special in that it has been molded for the fittings on the reactor. I cant connect to those without the special vertex version of the sicce pump.

And yes pump is not airlocked and I have taken it off twice now to ensure its not clogged or such. I agree it sounds faulty pump but one must go through Vertex for a replacement since sicce doesnt sell one with the proper body mold. That is why I was considering making the edits so I could put any pump on the unit.

Unread 03/06/2017, 11:41 AM   #4
scuzy
Registered Member

Hmm I need to look again I didn't think it looks specially molded to a spare sicce 1.5 I had. But I'll need to double check and compare to my vertex pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 11:49 AM   #5
soulpatch
Registered Member

I could be mistaken but the intake looks specific to Vertex for the off gas chamber.

The connection to the left in this pic. The one to the right is standard union whether metric or standard so easily replaced but the other side looks unique...

Third pick here: http://www.finsaquaticsusa.com/Verte...or_p_3648.html

If I am wrong AWESOME and just point me to the correct pump to use and I will find the union but I am pretty sure from everywhere I have looked that the pump is unique to Vertex.

Unread 03/06/2017, 11:59 AM   #6
scuzy
Registered Member

I know the white parts are glued on. But the pump itself is same and you can take the pump out. Will double check when I have time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 01:37 PM   #7
gcarroll
Registered Member

It's 3 months old, still under warranty and we are discussing a Frankenstein fix? Just call support and talk with Adam.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 02:12 PM   #8
soulpatch
Registered Member

2 reasons really.

1 - Pump needs replaced and while doing so is typically time to make improvements to design.

2 - If you look at many reviews the largest downfall of the reactor is the locking nut for the gassing chamber. Many have had that fail and crack resulting in serious downtime for the reactor.

I dont care about spending $50 or so ona new pump and another few bucks for plumbing parts should it result in less downtime and the ability to avoid waiting on parts from a fairly notoriously slow to respond company...

Unread 03/07/2017, 10:50 AM   #9
redddogg69
Registered Member

I've contacted Vertex many times by email and phone, emails were answered within 10 min and the phone has even been answered on weekends in the evenings. Have you called or emailed them yet? If your attempting to contact support via FB that isn't really the best channel. Contact Adam as GCarroll suggested at adam@vertextechnologies.net 714-274-6544. I've noticed that most who complain about the response times aren't trying very hard or aren't looking in the right places.

redddogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 10:53 AM   #10
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddogg69 View Post
I've contacted Vertex many times by email and phone, emails were answered within 10 min and the phone has even been answered on weekends in the evenings. Have you called or emailed them yet? If your attempting to contact support via FB that isn't really the best channel. Contact Adam as GCarroll suggested at adam@vertextechnologies.net 714-274-6544. I've noticed that most who complain about the response times aren't trying very hard or aren't looking in the right places.
I have already talked to Adam and sent him the required info. That doesn't negate the desire to figure out replacement options. If a replacement pump via warranty takes say 2 weeks to get to me that is 2 weeks without a reactor going for my SPS.

I should ask Adam for a quote on a second pump for a backup and will do that now

Unread 12/03/2019, 09:45 PM   #11
alemone
Registered Member

Did you ever figure an off-the-shelf replacement option for the custom Sicce 1.5?

alemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 09:50 PM   #12
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemone View Post
Did you ever figure an off-the-shelf replacement option for the custom Sicce 1.5?
Yes. Though have not yet had to do it.

I got vertex to also send me metric to us unions. Then i can plumb 1/2 pvc to any pump. I've been running ever since I replaced pump BUT the last go took me forever to get the pump to actually seal so I'm assuming in my Feb reactor cleaning I'll have to replumb.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Unread 12/04/2019, 06:19 AM   #13
alemone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Yes. Though have not yet had to do it.

I got vertex to also send me metric to us unions. Then i can plumb 1/2 pvc to any pump. I've been running ever since I replaced pump BUT the last go took me forever to get the pump to actually seal so I'm assuming in my Feb reactor cleaning I'll have to replumb.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks. How do you connect the front end? It's not a simple union connection.

alemone is offline   Reply With Quote