Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2011, 11:27 PM   #1
mistaflicksta
Registered Member

Booming Saltwater Hobby interest in El Paso

I don't know If anybody has realized how much the saltwater hobby has progressed in El Paso. When I started out in 2003 there where only two stores dedicated to the hobby, those where Coral reef which used to be on Lee Trevino and Sea creatures that has remained in the same spot for all of these years. There used to be a another pet store that used to special order livestock, Uno mas pets.

As of Today there are eight Saltwater dedicated dealers in El Paso that I can think off the top of my head. Those dealers are as follows, in no particular order:

Coral Reef
Sea Creatures
Salty Fin
Saltwater Heaven
Aquarium Concept
Aqua Life
Sea Universe
Eddie Diamos
Live Cargo (has a small saltwater section)

Las Cruces also has some dealers keeping up with the demand

Underwater Oasis
Sea Farmers
Petco

All I am posting are names as this is in no way advertisement for any of the dealers. I am just showing people how much this hobby has grown in the past eight years. If I left anybody out please forgive me, and please post the name of who I left out.

Erik Guzman

Current Tank Info: 150H(48LX24WX30H), 302 Aquatics sump w/ATS, NWB 200 reef octopus skimmer w/DC pump, 2× MP40W, Varios 6 return pump, RKE, Avast Marine Kalk reactor, Kessil AP700
mistaflicksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2011, 12:36 AM   #2
puffin04
S.T.A.R.S VICE P

I still dont think there is much of a demand in Cruces. Usually people look at me crazy when i say it is going to cost several thousand to get into this hobby. It is such an expensive hobby but i love it!

Steffen Sparks

puffin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2011, 02:06 AM   #3
deehz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin04 View Post
I still dont think there is much of a demand in Cruces. Usually people look at me crazy when i say it is going to cost several thousand to get into this hobby. It is such an expensive hobby but i love it!

Steffen Sparks
+1
Although, I am always shocked to see the live stock at Petco always gone. Bill, the fish mgr (incredibly nice and very knowledgeable guy) there tells me he has so many customers that buy his saltwater stock, that he himself is surprised that Cruces doesn't have an lfs just for saltwater. He gets all kinds of folks from Roswell to Lordsburg to T or C and north of it. He keeps telling me that if he could get better corals and inverts, that his fish stock would likely be sold out all the time.

Erik--is there a way to form a "sticky" to not only give the lfs names but also the addresses? The Phx club has a "sticky" on there forum page listing all the lfs', address, and rating of the stores. It is a very helpful tool to those that are from out of town and want to know which lfs' are the reputable ones to go checkout. Is Saltwater Heaven the store in central EP? Furthermore, I haven't heard of the last 3-4 stores. How are they?

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
deehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2011, 09:23 AM   #4
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehz View Post
+1
Bill, the fish mgr (incredibly nice and very knowledgeable guy) there tells me he has so many customers that buy his saltwater stock, that he himself is surprised that Cruces doesn't have an lfs just for saltwater. He gets all kinds of folks from Roswell to Lordsburg to T or C and north of it. He keeps telling me that if he could get better corals and inverts, that his fish stock would likely be sold out all the time.
Yes, he is a great guy! He will also special order things if you ask.

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
jmait769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2011, 09:25 AM   #5
mistaflicksta
Registered Member

I am not sure on how to make a sticky, if one of you knows hot to make a sticky, please guide me in the right direction. As far as posting the address and rating the dealer, I think that would be considered advertisement and the thread will probably be erased. I have been to all of these places and have all of their phone numbers with the exeptin of underwater oasis. two of the nine El Paso Dealers sell out of their homes so you would have to call them to arrange a meeting.

Coral Reef (915) 591-7051 East El Paso
Sea Creatures (915) 849-6767 East El Paso
Salty Fin (915) 845-7880 West El Paso
Saltwater Heaven (915) 543-3474 Central El Paso
Aquarium Concept (915) 239-3499 West El Paso
Aqua Life (915) 253-4277 West El Paso
Sea Universe (915) 383-3325 West El Paso
Eddie Diamos (915) 328-8716 West El Paso
Live Cargo (915) 755-7387 North East El Paso

Las Cruces

Underwater Oasis: sorry I havent been to Seth's if anybody has hi # please post it
Sea Farmers (918) 760-7249
Petco (575) 532-5200

Current Tank Info: 150H(48LX24WX30H), 302 Aquatics sump w/ATS, NWB 200 reef octopus skimmer w/DC pump, 2× MP40W, Varios 6 return pump, RKE, Avast Marine Kalk reactor, Kessil AP700
mistaflicksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2011, 03:55 PM   #6
puffin04
S.T.A.R.S VICE P

I still go to petco all the time to help people and there was one point i used to just come on and fix there poor pathetic skimmer because i felt so bad for the fish. I still dont know where there customer base is coming from but then again i have over heard an employee was selling a yellow tang to a women with a 55 FW tank. I have also seen a few tanks that Fish and Phipps have set up and he believes in under gravel filter with no skimmer, refuge, live rock, or even a simple hang on back filter.

What i try to push on people the most is quality equipment. There is no point on purchasing animals if you can properly keep them and as much as you spend on coral and fish you might as well have bought that nice skimmer or set up a refuge for more water stability. The key is not survival but thrival!!! Hehe i made a new word. lol

I remember i was helping this gentlemen and he was complaining for how expensive it is and it probably not needed. I told him to take up finger painting instead as a hobby. lol

Steffen Sparks

puffin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2014, 06:10 PM   #7
DanzReef
Registered Member

Came across this old thread and had to bump it. How do you guys think the hobbu popularity is going? I'm new to the hobby but always wanted a saltwater tank.

DanzReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2014, 12:09 AM   #8
TimGentry
Registered Member

Aqua Life? Never heard of it. Wait, Oh yeah, I went there once at 1:00 in the afternoon on a Saturday and the doors were locked. I think they went out of business.

Current Tank Info: 100g Mixed Reef
TimGentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2015, 10:33 AM   #9
joshfl83
Registered Member

Aqua life

I went into Aqua Life in October and they were actually open. Since then, they have never answered their phone or been open for business. I learned a few weeks ago that the store caught on fire. Probably not going to be up any time soon.

joshfl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2015, 02:45 PM   #10
wowkingjames
Registered Member

Yes crash and burned...lol, but so you'll all know Salty Fin has a new owner you all might want to check it out. David (son of owner) is a young enthused reefer.

wowkingjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2015, 09:36 PM   #11
TimGentry
Registered Member

Well as much as the store(Aqua Life) disappointed me in the past, I hope this is not true. Hope no one was hurt.

Current Tank Info: 100g Mixed Reef
TimGentry is offline   Reply With Quote