Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2018, 10:41 AM   #1
DrDNA
Registered Member

Gigas may be coming back

Like some of you folks, I had a gigas clam years ago. It grew from about 6" to 24"+ in about 6 years until I lost it during a tank crash. Several years ago, the importation of them has halted because no one was farm raising them again. I've seen rumors that Biota has started aquaculturing them again so I emailed Liveaquaria to find out more info, and it looks tentatively hopeful that we might actually see them for sale in the US again. Here is their response - make sure you read all the way down and let them know you're interested in Liveaquaria bringing them into the US for sale:

-----------
Thank you for your email. Yes it does look like Biota is culturing Tridacna gigas. Per there website this is what they have to say. "Traditionally giant clams have been a secure source of food for the Pacific Islands, however in more recent times a new demand was born in the ornamental market for these beautiful animals. These CITES listed species from the Tridacnae family include several varieties, with cultured T. maxima, T. squamosa, and T. derasa already available at Biota this year. For next year we expect to harvest our first batch of T. crocea and T. gigas, the ever-elusive True Giant Clam. Our interest in the Tridacnae family is not limited to their culture as a product for export, but it extends towards conservation efforts in Palau and throughout the Pacific."

As for us carrying the specimen in the future we suggest submitting a suggestion to our Diver's Den for the specimen at the link provided below.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/suggestions.cfm

Thank you for choosing LiveAquaria for your live aquatic needs. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you in the future.

If we can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact our LiveAquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at customerservice@liveaquaria.com. We will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have.

You will also find over 1500 articles full of helpful information on our PetCoach website! Your question(s) may already be answered there.
https://www.petcoach.co/

Sincerely,

LiveAquaria

Shari H.

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff

Current Tank Info: 300g and 540g on one system, 165g sump, lifereef VS3-72 skimmer, LED lighting
DrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 02:16 PM   #2
Softhammer
Registered Member

Cool! I had one years ago and left it in the care of a friend with a 2500 gallon system when I moved to Europe. Came home to a pair of shells. Was the last one I ever saw for sale. Think I got it for 50 bucks too. I currently have room for one next to my 14” derasa and 10” Squamosa. Only wish there was some way to ‘vet’ the buyers, to make sure they have a prayer in keeping it alive.

Unread 06/06/2018, 02:26 PM   #3
DrDNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhammer View Post
Cool! I had one years ago and left it in the care of a friend with a 2500 gallon system when I moved to Europe. Came home to a pair of shells. Was the last one I ever saw for sale. Think I got it for 50 bucks too. I currently have room for one next to my 14” derasa and 10” Squamosa. Only wish there was some way to ‘vet’ the buyers, to make sure they have a prayer in keeping it alive.
I agree. I had mine in a 300g and it barely fit. Currently I have both a 540 and 300 running on the same system, so hopefully they will actually be for sale again. Yeah, I think I spent somewhere between $50-75 for mine (I had two at one time, but sold one years ago). They do grow amazingly fast when happy.

Jeff

Current Tank Info: 300g and 540g on one system, 165g sump, lifereef VS3-72 skimmer, LED lighting
Unread 06/15/2018, 09:09 PM   #4
David MC Lee
Registered Member

Form filled out. I hope to get another.

David MC Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Softhammer
Registered Member

My public service announcement..In the event these do become available, I think I can speak for all the past owners in saying please please don’t even attempt to get one unless you have a monster system. I have seen far too many of these needlessly die in nano tanks. If they do thrive the growth rate and calcium demand is staggering and there simply is no way a system under several hundred gallons can sustain these creatures for any suitable period of time. There, stepping down off my soapbox..

Unread 06/16/2018, 11:37 AM   #6
David MC Lee
Registered Member

Quote:
My public service announcement..In the event these do become available, I think I can speak for all the past owners in saying please please don’t even attempt to get one unless you have a monster system. I have seen far too many of these needlessly die in nano tanks. If they do thrive the growth rate and calcium demand is staggering and there simply is no way a system under several hundred gallons can sustain these creatures for any suitable period of time. There, stepping down off my soapbox..
Agreed my tank is 800G

David MC Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 05:57 PM   #7
Greg 45
Registered Member

Are there any updates on this .

Greg 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 05:14 PM   #8
DrDNA
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree as well. I have both a 300g and 540g - both on the same water system.

Jeff

Unread 08/16/2018, 05:15 PM   #9
DrDNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 45 View Post
Are there any updates on this .
Haven't seen or heard anything new. Like a lot of folks, I get Liveaquaria's daily stock emails. Based on the limited info, I don't expect we'll see any until maybe late this year or next spring-ish sometime.

Jeff

Unread 07/30/2019, 07:05 PM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

T. gigas are available for 139.99 at Live Aquaria, from ORA.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2019, 11:53 PM   #11
DrDNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
T. gigas are available for 139.99 at Live Aquaria, from ORA.

Sweet thanks! I almost missed this. Just ordered one!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jeff