Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2019, 10:30 PM   #1
OnyxReef
Registered Member

Splitting a single standpipe for emergency

Hello everyone, long time lerker, and finally having some trouble finding an answer to what maybe a very well stupid proposition I have dreamt up Sorry in advance, I wouldn’t ask if I could find the answer, and I haven’t been able to so it’s probably way out of left field.

I have a 180 Gallon Reef Ready setup, with 40 gallon sump. It’s a single corner overflow with two bulkheads, 1 drain 1 return.

Let me preface this by saying, the tank is empty and I can have it drilled, but wanted to ask a plumbing question.

As paranoid as we all are with risking a flood, I was wondering if I would be able to run an “emergency drain” off of the single drain standpipe/Durso? I do realize that the only way it would be effective is if any clog were in the “Durso” section and anything below the “T” would render the whole thing useless, but I like the odds.

The “emergency drain” would sit slightly above the Durso waterline and be open and kept dry unless the Durso either clogs or doesn’t drain fast enough, where the waterline would rise and hopefully drain through the open channel...again this would only work if nothing is clogging up the drain below the “T” which splits the drain pipe.

Any plumbing experts see anything wrong with this, excluding of course, what I said above? Primitive drawing attached.

Thoughts and opinions please...I know I can easily run a Herbie and drill a new return...just wanted thoughts on this contraption.

Thanks!

OnyxReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 10:37 PM   #2
OnyxReef
Registered Member

Link to my drawing;

https://imgshare.io/images/2019/08/1...90065F2D17.jpg

OnyxReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2019, 01:54 AM   #3
kcinnick
Registered Member

I have a single drain in my 315 and I was considering "splitting" the standpipe not for added safety but to make a quieter standpipe. I am drilled for a closed loop so I will probably run a smaller return pump than if I didn't have the closed loop available so limiting the capacity of the return line isn't too much of a concern for me. I might just stay the simple way and run a straight stand pipe. If I were to buy a tank new it would have had two drain holes.

kcinnick is offline   Reply With Quote