Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/04/2020, 02:04 PM   #1
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

Bubble Tip Anemones randomly swell up in sync

I have these two otherwise happy BTAs (was originally just one that split a month ago) that randomly swell up. their base/foot looks like it just puffs as much as physically possible with loads of water, and the base of the tentacles seem to constricted like there's some invisible rubber band around them. The weirdest part is that this only lasts for around 2-3 minutes, but happens to both my anemones at the exact same time. I don't dose anything and I just happened to occasional see it happen when i'm just staring at the tank. After those few minutes are up, the anemones both go to looking perfectly normal again. Is this something I should be concerned about?

First picture is about 30 seconds after anemones began swellings, 2nd one is one in further detail, and 3rd is both after around 3 minutes and returning back to normal.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1431.jpg (72.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1432.jpg (67.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1433.jpg (75.6 KB, 22 views)
Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2020, 02:22 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Mine (unsplit, but new) goes through gymnastics during the day, reverts by night to a little ball. My guess is that your set are just going through a growing process. They at least look healthy.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Misled
RC Mod

They are fine. When you get to twenty and they all do the same thing, just smile. They are funny little creatures.