Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2018, 10:15 AM   #1
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Do I really need baffles? - sump

I have a 40 gallon tank and plan to use a 20 gallon high as a sump. I have a reef octopus 1000 SSS cone skimmer which I understand is a tad overkill. The point is the skimmer takes up a huge amount of space and I'm wondering if baffles are even worth my time. I'm thinking I'll just use a filter sock, the skimmer and heater, and return pump.

Any issues here?

Unread 02/18/2018, 10:17 AM   #2
jamie1981
Registered Member

Baffles are used to reduce the chance of micro bubbles returning to the tank from the skimmer and other sources. Do you NEED them no. But I would recommend them.

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 10:18 AM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

It can be done, though you may have varying water level which could affect the skimmer and you'd probably have a ton of micro bubbles that would diminish water clarity.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 10:20 AM   #4
LeJeune981
Registered Member

I currently run a 46 bow front for a sump/fuge.. no baffles.. and honestly..it sucks... I don't have an ato so through out the day as water Evaps out of the system..the water level for my skimmer drops as well creating issues there.. I plan to build a new sump/fuge in the near future...WITH baffles to give me an area with a constant water height for my skimmer and other equipment

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 10:28 AM   #5
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Aaah yeah. Gotcha.

So a bubble wall right before the return pump would solve both of the above mentioned issues right? Would keep consistent water level for skimmer, and evap would only occur in the return chamber - micro bubbles would be much less of an issue... correct?

Unread 02/18/2018, 10:35 AM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

Correct, I'd still prefer a multi baffle, but sometimes we gotta make due w/ space limitations.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 02/18/2018, 10:47 AM   #7
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Do you think a 20g long would be a better sump? As far as space?

Unread 02/18/2018, 10:50 AM   #8
Bent
I got nothin'

Well I have no baffled in my sump. I’m using a Rubbermaid stock tank.

You really need the baffles. The biggest reason in my experience is because the detritus will trap itself in the sump where it can be easily removed, and not get pushed back up into the display.

My stock tank makes me have to vacuum sand and blow off my aquascape much more regularly that I would otherwise need to.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 10:52 AM   #9
davocean
Registered Member

If it allows room for skimmer, more baffles, and still gives volume for back siphon water then yes, most likely.
I would like at least 2 baffles, and really would prefer drain skimmer section to have one as well, and it's possible you may find that skimmer to be a little overkill, but again I understand you are making due of what you have.

Unread 02/18/2018, 10:55 AM   #10
~RuSh~
Registered Member

What is the issue of the skimmer being over kill exactly? If I don't keep corals like zoos or filter feeders is over skimming really a bad thing?

Unread 02/18/2018, 10:58 AM   #11
davocean
Registered Member

Well, that could be a lengthy convo, but basically it can be too efficient or stop producing skim, and also keep in mind watts equal heat, so I keep gear down to what is efficient as best as I can.

Unread 02/18/2018, 11:01 AM   #12
AlSimmons
Registered Member

FWIW I've been doing this for quite awhile and have never found the need for baffles. As long as your sump doesn't overflow during a power outage you should be good to go. Here's a picture of the 10 gallon sump I have underneath my standard 20 gallon tank when it was first set up. The skimmer has been upgraded, but everything else is pretty much the same. The water is kept at a constant level with the use of a Ultralife float switch. (that white stick attached to the back glass) When I had my old 60 gallon breeder set up I was using a Rubbermaid tote as a sump and it was designed almost exactly the same. (about the size of a 40 breeder)

Btw the micro bubbles in the DT were negligible, even with a sump as small as this.

Last edited by AlSimmons; 02/18/2018 at 11:09 AM.
AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 11:05 AM   #13
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Well, that could be a lengthy convo, but basically it can be too efficient or stop producing skim, and also keep in mind watts equal heat, so I keep gear down to what is efficient as best as I can.
What overall volume would you say I'd be out of the 'too efficient' zone? Right now I'm going to run a 40g display and 20g sump - probably around 50 gallons of water volume...

Unread 02/18/2018, 11:06 AM   #14
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
FWIW I've been doing this for quite awhile and have never found the need for baffles. As long as your sump doesn't overflow during a power outage you should be good to go. Here's a picture of the 10 gallon sump I have underneath my standard 20 gallon tank when it was first set up. The skimmer has been upgraded, but everything else is pretty much the same. The water is kept at a constant level with the use of a Ultralife float switch. (that white stick attached to the back glass) When I had my old 60 gallon breeder set up I was using a Rubbermaid tote as a sump and it was designed almost exactly the same. (about the size of a 40 breeder)

Btw the micro bubbles were negligible, even with a sump as small as this.
But you were running an ATO correct?

Unread 02/18/2018, 11:08 AM   #15
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Also - can someone remind me how to calculate the height of my baffles? Need to make sure I don't overflow sump in power outage?

Sorry for all the questions guys, and thanks for the help so far. It's appreciated.

Unread 02/18/2018, 11:10 AM   #16
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RuSh~ View Post
What overall volume would you say I'd be out of the 'too efficient' zone? Right now I'm going to run a 40g display and 20g sump - probably around 50 gallons of water volume...
I would post this question in the light and equipment forum, there are skimmer gurus that could guide you better than I on that size, and new skimmers are popping up

Unread 02/18/2018, 11:12 AM   #17
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RuSh~ View Post
But you were running an ATO correct?
Yes, the Ultralife float switch. Even if you don't have an ATO it can still work. Put it this way if you've got the time to feed your fish once, twice, maybe three times a day you've got the time to top off the tank too. Just put a piece of tape on the glass as an indicator and keep the water level as constant as you can. Piece of cake. It's real easy to OVERthink these things sometimes. GL.

Unread 02/18/2018, 11:13 AM   #18
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:

Btw the micro bubbles in the DT were negligible, even with a sump as small as this.
Sometimes people do land on a combo of gear and flow that kinda works for them, and that may be the case here, but sometimes people don't realize they are shorting themselves on clarity.
Sometimes we don't see the tiny micros and don't realize our display could be much more clear and sparkly, and for some that could make a big difference.
So again, yes, can be done, but may not be optimal or all it could be.

Unread 02/18/2018, 11:17 AM   #19
AlSimmons
Registered Member

I think you might be splitting hairs here, but ok. Me personally I kind of dig the micro bubbles. They remind me of some wave action. A lot of people are incorporating micro bubbles into their tank these days as a way of scrubbing, so there's that too. Also, doesn't the light reflect off the bubbles? I know when I throw a cup of water by the intake of my return pump and the micro bubbles come shooting out into the DT it seems to get brighter for a second or too. Would that be considered "sparkly?"

Last edited by AlSimmons; 02/18/2018 at 11:23 AM.
Unread 02/18/2018, 11:26 AM   #20
davocean
Registered Member

Well not bashing or anything by any means, and to each their own, and if it's working for you that's great.

I'm more so going off my own experience in my comment, having dealt w/ this issue long ago and once I saw the clarity difference it was a huge difference for me, in that oh, that's what I want for clear sparkly display, but again, everyone is different in what works and what they are trying to achieve, and what gear they have to work w/ based on what budget allows, believe me I get that too.

Unread 02/18/2018, 11:33 AM   #21
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, the Ultralife float switch. Even if you don't have an ATO it can still work. Put it this way if you've got the time to feed your fish once, twice, maybe three times a day you've got the time to top off the tank too. Just put a piece of tape on the glass as an indicator and keep the water level as constant as you can. Piece of cake. It's real easy to OVERthink these things sometimes. GL.
I definitely don't have the time to feed 3x a day, and sometimes 2x a day is tough. I work for a hospital and take quite a bit of call. So if the 30$ sheet of acrylic cut into a few baffles and some silicone will save me from having to adjust my water level just to make sure my overkill skimmer is skimming... I'll probably just go ahead and do it. Not that much work to save me potentially a lot of head ache. But I appreciate the insight.

Unread 02/18/2018, 11:40 AM   #22
davocean
Registered Member

Try your best to keep glass on glass, and acrylic to acrylic, this works best.
Also while I agree topping off best as you can, there still will be varying levels that can affect a skimmer, could even cause an overflow.

As to multiple feedings, should you feel the need I can't say enough good about the eheim feeders, though probably most people don't have to have one.
I have anthias, so I do.

keep in mind I'm answering what is optimal, not what is doable.

Unread 02/18/2018, 12:37 PM   #23
cprdnick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Try your best to keep glass on glass, and acrylic to acrylic, this works best.
I'm in the middle of building my first sump. Why is this exactly?

cprdnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 01:04 PM   #24
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprdnick View Post
I'm in the middle of building my first sump. Why is this exactly?
You will get a better bond for one, but also they will expand and contract at different rates, and you could even crack a glass sump if using acrylic baffles.

Acrylic adhere's best when joining w/ weldon, and glass adhere's best when using silicone, mixing the 2 is a compromised build.

Unread 02/19/2018, 07:34 AM   #25
Reef noob_
Registered Member

I currently run my 90g with a 65g baffle-less sump. My skimmer sits on a cement block in the sump which brings it to the right water level and my ATO keeps it constant. My fuge is actually a separate tank that drains back into my sump so if you want to add a fuge I’d say you’ll probably want baffles.

Imo baffles are not NEEDED but they would definitely be a welcome addition in my case and yours too probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Build in progress http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2528685
90 gallon DT, 65 Gallon Fuge, Chinese LEDs, LPS and Soft coral reef
Reef noob_ is offline   Reply With Quote