Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2017, 05:20 PM   #1
Nickfishman
Registered Member

clown breeding

what would it take to breed mocha clowns?

Nickfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2017, 08:58 PM   #2
LiveRound69
Registered Member

It isnt an easy task to accomplish. I can tell you first hand. I have been trying to raise Maroons for several years now and have yet to get one larvae past metamorphosis which happens around day 5. Its really sad to see them starve and just plain disappear from the fry tank even though you try and try. Even though i havent had much success I still try cause i have seen improvements that i made from the last time caused the next ones to live a bit longer. Thus I persevere.

On to what you will need. You first need a separate tank setup with its own auto top off, heater, air pump and some sort of small light. You dont need a big one. Smaller is better where the fish fry are concerned. Then you need rotifers which are a microscopic creature that the baby clownfish eat for the first two weeks approximately. You also have to either purchase or culture nannochloropsis algae (phytoplankton) to feed to the rotifers. Rotifers are nutritionally lacking until you feed them the algae. Then around day 2 you start feeding TDO diet and stop rotifers around day 12 or so and continue the diet till day 75. TDO comes in several sizes to rotate thru during growth cycle.

If you are attempting to grow your own phytoplankton then you will have to purchase something called Guillard's F/2 fertilizer. It is sold by many different sellers and websites on the net including ebay. I was reading too that if you culture or grow you algae at the same salinity as the parents tank then when you add it to the fish fry's tank it will not cause osmotic shock and prematurely kill them.

Also i need to tell you that it is really easy to kill them so get used to death. They die for all kinds of reasons. Salinity off...they die, temperature fluctuates....they die, feed em too much...they die, feed em too little.....they die, shine too bright a light over their tank in the first week...they die, look at em the wrong way....they die.

It will get frustrating at times and very disappointing. The one thing to remember is that the mortality rate in the ocean is WAY higher than that of your aquarium. So if you even get a few to live every so often. Your doing a good thing. Be proud. And by the way dont think my success rate will reflect in yours. Maroons are much harder to raise. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon Reef

Last edited by LiveRound69; 12/26/2017 at 09:06 PM.
LiveRound69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Nickfishman
Registered Member

thanks for the advice. if i get fry i will try not to look at them the wrong way. :-) i will talk to my lfs to because they breed their own clowns quite succesfully. good luck to you on your maroon clown breeding.

Nickfishman is offline   Reply With Quote