Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2017, 02:29 PM   #1
term_paint
Registered Member

Temp and Salinity?

I have read so many articles that i am now confused. I want to have a seahorse tank with a few mild fish. I need someone with success to please let me know what is the best temperature and salinity to keep this tank at. Everyone has varing opinions so that is why i need to speak and take advice from someone who has the experience and success rate. Thanks so much.

term_paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 09:54 AM   #2
rayjay
Registered Member

Well even among experienced, successful keepers you will find a variety of opinions on many aspects of seahorse keeping.
For temperature though, the majority of seahorse tanks are kept at 74° or below, but, there are also some that range from 75° to 78° and I imagine even some a bit higher than that. When you get above 74° then the nasty bacteria tend to get out of hand unless you are extreme in your husbandry and water changing protocol which needs to be fairly excessive even at 74° or a bit below. Some use expensive filtration systems to aid in keeping the system healthy but still the mechanical filters should be cleaned every 5 to 10 days.
Also, there are tanks that have survived higher temps due to the fact the hobbyist isn't as informed as others but the seahorses they purchase just happen to have personal tolerance levels to pathogens higher than the average seahorse. I would estimate the numbers of such would be fairly low thought.
See Pledosophy's post #5 in the thread at http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274878
As for salinity, seahorses are being kept in a wide range from s.g. of 1.018 to 1.026 but most fall in the 1.023-24 range that I've seen.
Some seahorses come from waters that routinely have lowered salinity due to freshwater runoff so they experience not only a sometimes lower range, they live with a changing scenario but not usually exceeding 1.026.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote