Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2019, 12:44 AM   #951
Wally.B
Registered Member

Oopps.

THis is an OLD THREAD.

I will continue posting my Water CHanger Project, and beyond in THE NEWER THREAD

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...669007&page=24

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2019, 03:14 PM   #952
2mk
Registered Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Well I actually have 2 Main Display Tank TANKS (the 90 Gallon LPS tank) and the (110 Gallon SPS) Tank.

the 3rd TANK (In between Tank is a DIY 35 Gallon Frag Tank made from a OLD 35 I got from Thrift Store).
It has a built in Sump.

The 65 Gallon Tank under the Frag Tank is the New Salt Water Reservoir.
It's about 12 years old, slightly scratched. Tried to sell it when I upgrade to 110, but nobody wanted it.
REALLY GLAD nobody bought it, since It's perfect for Water Reservoir. I never consciously realized it's same width,length as Frag Tank till only a week ago.

Just Shot this VIDEO to Make things a bit obvious for my Whole setup.
What's missing in this Video is the 90 Gallon LPS tank is UPSTAIR, Directly above the SUMP ROOM.
The Pumbing to the Sump (Under the 110 Gallon Tank) is in those white Deck Post Columns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGCgo9b-xWo

THE WATER CHANGER is Finished, and I setup this TEST LAB on my Desk to develop the code to run it. (Code will go fairly Fast, since I will be re-using Code from my DIY Doser, and the DIY Tank Minder)

Must be tested, since it will be HOOKED up to 2 Live Tanks.
Wally. Thanks for the video. I see see what you mean. I wish I have space for a sump room like you do. I am now in the process of combining my 55g (almost 30yrs old recently resealed) and my red sea 35g (6yrs old with build in sump) by draining into a 20g (water content) Sump and returning to the 55g and 35g using one return pump. My piping are ready. They will be connected this coming Saturday. Everything is a mess and all over the floor now (Including Apex, AWC, ATO, EB832, Break Out Box, Cable, .... etc). Once the returns are combined, then my project will be to create a cabinet to house all of the Apex gears. I am looking forward to have it finished and post a picture here.

Current Tank Info: 35G + 55G Combined By 30G Sump, Alexa, Apex, 2x EB832, 1x DOS, 2x FMM, 3x Flow Sensors, Neptune ATK ATO, 1x WRX, 3x Radion XR15 G4 Pro, 1x Kessil AH80, Teco Chiller, Octo Essence 130 & Red Sea Skimmers, 6x Hydor Koralias, 2x MaxiJets, Danner Pump
2mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2019, 04:40 PM   #953
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mk View Post
Wally. Thanks for the video. I see see what you mean. I wish I have space for a sump room like you do. I am now in the process of combining my 55g (almost 30yrs old recently resealed) and my red sea 35g (6yrs old with build in sump) by draining into a 20g (water content) Sump and returning to the 55g and 35g using one return pump. My piping are ready. They will be connected this coming Saturday. Everything is a mess and all over the floor now (Including Apex, AWC, ATO, EB832, Break Out Box, Cable, .... etc). Once the returns are combined, then my project will be to create a cabinet to house all of the Apex gears. I am looking forward to have it finished and post a picture here.
Cool. Nice project you got going.
I too wanted to hook up my Frag tank to DT with Overflow and return. but it's a nightmare challenge. Not sure if anyone has done what I will be doing with just water change cascading down. Might work, might not well see.
In your case....Nothing better than re-using old stuff, to save money, and be eco friendly too.
Have you got a thread so I can follow along with your future build?
If not, share a photo since there is always room to learn and get good ideas.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Unread 05/16/2019, 11:01 PM   #954
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:

I too wanted to hook up my Frag tank to DT with Overflow and return. but it's a nightmare challenge. Not sure if anyone has done what I will be doing with just water change cascading down. Might work, might not well see.

In your case....Nothing better than re-using old stuff, to save money, and be eco friendly too.

Thanks for the comment on reusing old stuff. Just hate to see old stuff going to the dump. That 30yr old tank was bought new for freshwater fish back in 1989. Did I just say 1989? It's been that long. They don't make those cheap tanks like that anymore with 1/4 glass.

I don't have a thread. Maybe I should start one. I will have some photos once the combined thanks work. Reason for combining is to safe money on gear costs such as Apex, chiller, return pumps, skimmer, an so forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 35G + 55G Combined By 30G Sump, Alexa, Apex, 2x EB832, 1x DOS, 2x FMM, 3x Flow Sensors, Neptune ATK ATO, 1x WRX, 3x Radion XR15 G4 Pro, 1x Kessil AH80, Teco Chiller, Octo Essence 130 & Red Sea Skimmers, 6x Hydor Koralias, 2x MaxiJets, Danner Pump
Unread 07/03/2019, 03:28 PM   #955
2mk
Registered Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Hi wally. it's me again. I the combined my 2 tanks draining into one sump. So far so good. Created a small in sump DIY algae scrubber all running from the same return pump. Now half way through building my Apex gear mount to hide under my cabinet. Thinking about sharing some pics here.

You suggested that I create a thread. How do you do that?

Unread 07/20/2019, 09:39 PM   #956
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi wally. it's me again. I the combined my 2 tanks draining into one sump. So far so good. Created a small in sump DIY algae scrubber all running from the same return pump. Now half way through building my Apex gear mount to hide under my cabinet. Thinking about sharing some pics here.

You suggested that I create a thread. How do you do that?
Hey there.
I just noticed this post. Been super busy.
I hope you have moved along and things well.
Share your pics here, and I can certainly help you get your own thread going.

Unread 09/28/2019, 12:07 AM   #957
Wally.B
Registered Member

Big Announcement Coming Soon.

Another DIY Project Almost Finished.

Biggest Project so far, Most Advanced and Best Ever (for my goals of SPS Tank Stability).

Hint. DIY Alkalinity Monitor

(Like No Other. Should work, and if it does as designed/tested so far, I'll be close to Total Automation since I dose 2 Part, so I don't need Calc/Mag via automaton).

Unread 10/01/2019, 03:48 PM   #958
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:
Big Announcement Coming Soon.

Another DIY Project Almost Finished.

Biggest Project so far, Most Advanced and Best Ever (for my goals of SPS Tank Stability).

Hint. DIY Alkalinity Monitor

(Like No Other. Should work, and if it does as designed/tested so far, I'll be close to Total Automation since I dose 2 Part, so I don't need Calc/Mag via automaton).
Hi Wally,

It's been a while that I was in RC. I have not forgotten about posting some pics here. I have actually finished my Apex Gear Mount and just about to finishing up the rest of the mounting my dos and hiding my three 8 gallons reservoir buckets. I the process of re-finishing an old aquarium tank table to house these buckets. hopefully I should be done in the next couple of weeks due to time constraints. Then I will have to dig up the pics of the progress That I have taken all this time while doing it and have them posted. Hopefully again that I can find them in my phone.

Unread 10/02/2019, 01:11 PM   #959
2mk
Registered Member

Apex Gear Mount

Quote:
Hey there.
I just noticed this post. Been super busy.
I hope you have moved along and things well.
Share your pics here, and I can certainly help you get your own thread going.
Here are pics of the first Step in Making the Apex Gears Mount that goes inside my Red Sea 35 Cabinet. Pictures of the finished product has yet to be taken. There will be more pics of my plumbing and others that is still in progress.

Unread 10/02/2019, 01:18 PM   #960
2mk
Registered Member

my pics did not go in. How do you do that?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1406.jpg (84.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1408.jpg (62.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1420.jpg (70.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1449.jpg (52.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1453.jpg (55.5 KB, 30 views)

Unread 10/02/2019, 01:19 PM   #961
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:
The 6th pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1454.jpg (59.3 KB, 39 views)

Unread 10/02/2019, 09:00 PM   #962
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
I can see your PICS. However you are attaching them. It does work that way.

If you want to show your pic directly, then you need to post them on a hosting site like FLICR (which is free to a 2000 Photos). Once you post on Flickr you can just like the Photo to a Thread Post.

So you Apex Mounting box looks good. I do appreciate that you are using spare wood (which is what I do). We need to be more Eco Friendly these days for the Environment.

Obviously your cabinet will look more complete once the Apex components are mounted and you make holes for cables etc.

Do you plan on painting your cabinet?

Unread 10/03/2019, 11:28 AM   #963
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:
I can see your PICS. However you are attaching them. It does work that way.

If you want to show your pic directly, then you need to post them on a hosting site like FLICR (which is free to a 2000 Photos). Once you post on Flickr you can just like the Photo to a Thread Post.

So you Apex Mounting box looks good. I do appreciate that you are using spare wood (which is what I do). We need to be more Eco Friendly these days for the Environment.

Obviously your cabinet will look more complete once the Apex components are mounted and you make holes for cables etc.

Do you plan on painting your cabinet?
So that's how you put pics in there instead of the the way I did it. I thought I was missing something, and indeed I do.

Thanks Wally for the complements. I though no one will catch me using repurposed wood.

If you look closely to the last 3 pics, there are "slits" in the wood box. They are actually my cable "holes". These "slits" are cut by having mounting templates sheets taped to the box (green background pic) and cut along its guidelines. The last 2 pics are the cut box surface.

As we speak, the box was finished some four weeks ago and just properly mounted inside my Read Sea Cabinet all the way pushed to the back leaving space up front for storage. An Amazon Echo is used to take advantage of voice command.

Here are the finished product. (I forgot take any pics of it before mounting it)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1788.jpg (93.3 KB, 28 views)

Unread 10/03/2019, 11:48 AM   #964
2mk
Registered Member

My DOS does not fit in the cabinet. It's also a challenge to route the tubing out without drilling my cabinet. Besides, it's logistically not feasible inside the cabinet. I wind up mounting it under my other combined 55g Tank's steel frame just above my chiller where I also put my sump. It works out. That part is still a work in progress. I will show pics at a later point. The steel frame's front will be covered with a removable black plastic panel to hide my sump and chiller as well as shielding off the reverse on Chaeto light at night.

Unread 10/31/2019, 01:09 AM   #965
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
My DOS does not fit in the cabinet. It's also a challenge to route the tubing out without drilling my cabinet. Besides, it's logistically not feasible inside the cabinet. I wind up mounting it under my other combined 55g Tank's steel frame just above my chiller where I also put my sump. It works out. That part is still a work in progress. I will show pics at a later point. The steel frame's front will be covered with a removable black plastic panel to hide my sump and chiller as well as shielding off the reverse on Chaeto light at night.

Strange. I never got a notice that you posted.
So did you get your project finished. Issues solved?

Unread 11/01/2019, 12:48 PM   #966
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:
Strange. I never got a notice that you posted.
So did you get your project finished. Issues solved?
Hi wally. So far everything is running well along the combined tanks thru one sump. As shown before, the Apex mount is finished and installed as shown in the picture. I have completed a very simple Tank frame cover last week for my 55g to cover the exposed sump area, but have not taken a picture of it yet.

Here is a few of pictures of the sump area under the 55g tank. Its still a mess. White Tube with color labels is used to hide and route DOS tubing for AWC.

Close up picture above sump is showing tubing of return pump output passing thru chiller first, then splitting into 3, 2 to 2 separate tanks, while the third supplies the DIY Algae Scrubber on the left.

I still not put my new DIY Overflow Box into commission yet.

What missing from picture is sump area cover. Just imagine a black plastic panel with wooded rim (in all black) hinging all that you see in the picture.

P.S. cloudy DT due to supplement addition to water.

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

Unread 11/02/2019, 01:23 AM   #967
Wally.B
Registered Member

Good to hear that you've been busy.
Great Progress.
Looks very tidy and Clean.

I see a hint of your Display Tank in the Photo. What's it look like and what corals do you have?

I too had two tanks to One Sump years ago. Positive is bigger water volume less maintenance, shared nutrients, one water change.
Downside, is if something goes wrong (both tank affected), but that really never happened to me.
I can't do that without a major complex plumbing job, and almost impossible with height of tanks, sump.

As far as where I'm at now....
I actually did some cleaning myself and tidied up the SPS Tank. Starting another Batch of Frags. Destroyed most of the last New Frags. Weird the Vetran Frag (Originals are still alive. Must be aclimatized to abuse,or bad supplier)

The DIY ALk Monitor I'm building is almost done.

Got sick of waiting for a Neptune Trident, so made a better than Neptune Trident (Just Alk monitoring, but I dose ESV two part, so Alk is all I need), and It will monitor all 3 of my TANKS (one Controller).
OOPS I never mentioned (much about the Alk Monitor) . Last update I had was the DIY Water Changer. That's been running perfectly.

Last edited by Wally.B; 11/02/2019 at 01:37 AM.
Unread 11/04/2019, 03:09 PM   #968
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:
Good to hear that you've been busy.
Great Progress.
Looks very tidy and Clean.

I see a hint of your Display Tank in the Photo. What's it look like and what corals do you have?

I too had two tanks to One Sump years ago. Positive is bigger water volume less maintenance, shared nutrients, one water change.
Downside, is if something goes wrong (both tank affected), but that really never happened to me.
I can't do that without a major complex plumbing job, and almost impossible with height of tanks, sump.

As far as where I'm at now....
I actually did some cleaning myself and tidied up the SPS Tank. Starting another Batch of Frags. Destroyed most of the last New Frags. Weird the Vetran Frag (Originals are still alive. Must be aclimatized to abuse,or bad supplier)

The DIY ALk Monitor I'm building is almost done.

Got sick of waiting for a Neptune Trident, so made a better than Neptune Trident (Just Alk monitoring, but I dose ESV two part, so Alk is all I need), and It will monitor all 3 of my TANKS (one Controller).
OOPS I never mentioned (much about the Alk Monitor) . Last update I had was the DIY Water Changer. That's been running perfectly.

Hi wally,

What's it look like and what corals do you have?

Well what you see there in that 55g tank are only Metallic Neon Green Hammers. Towards the left site are about 5 mid size Green/Purple Frog Spawns. Toward the right its "I have no clue what it's called" coral that was a one pollyp hitchhiker on something I bought years ago that grew into a huge chunk that's about a 1'x1' section of that coral.

The Hammers was on frag that had about 8 pollyps about 5 years ago and grew into all of that. So to speak, most all I have are things that did not die after a lot of the stuff I bought. Gave up buying at one point since everything I bought did not survive. What remained exploded in growth, and that's what I have.

These things are about 2/3 of all the same coral in my other tank.

In my 35g I have the same stuff, and leather corals, Mushrooms, one acan frag, a some other stuff.

Reason I put my 55g into commission again (used to be a fowlr tank that crashed) is because of the grow and running out of space. The corals were diying due to crowding. Technically that tanks looks really like a mess. There is no aestethics involved now until I have to time to work on it. As you noticed, progress was really slow just to have to tank set up the way I have them now.

I will pose some pics when I have them.

You said: " Destroyed most of the last New Frags" You mean you just wnet ahead and killed off your frags as a clean up process???

You mad a trident??? I wonder if you would be willing to share with me the technology you build. I am sick and tired of buying over priced but good Apex stuff.

Unread 11/05/2019, 12:43 AM   #969
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi wally,

What's it look like and what corals do you have?

Well what you see there in that 55g tank are only Metallic Neon Green Hammers. Towards the left site are about 5 mid size Green/Purple Frog Spawns. Toward the right its "I have no clue what it's called" coral that was a one pollyp hitchhiker on something I bought years ago that grew into a huge chunk that's about a 1'x1' section of that coral.

The Hammers was on frag that had about 8 pollyps about 5 years ago and grew into all of that. So to speak, most all I have are things that did not die after a lot of the stuff I bought. Gave up buying at one point since everything I bought did not survive. What remained exploded in growth, and that's what I have.

These things are about 2/3 of all the same coral in my other tank.

In my 35g I have the same stuff, and leather corals, Mushrooms, one acan frag, a some other stuff.

Reason I put my 55g into commission again (used to be a fowlr tank that crashed) is because of the grow and running out of space. The corals were diying due to crowding. Technically that tanks looks really like a mess. There is no aestethics involved now until I have to time to work on it. As you noticed, progress was really slow just to have to tank set up the way I have them now.

I will pose some pics when I have them.

You said: " Destroyed most of the last New Frags" You mean you just wnet ahead and killed off your frags as a clean up process???

You mad a trident??? I wonder if you would be willing to share with me the technology you build. I am sick and tired of buying over priced but good Apex stuff.
So you have two tanks. 55G is close to what I started with in my Basement In-Wall Office. Was a 65 Gal.

I found it bit tight for Rocks, Coral Placement and getting good Flow.
But It was easy to maintain, and I miss the 65 over the 110 I have (Hard to reach into it).

I didn't destroy my Frags purpose. They self destructed themselves. I just helped by messing around (instability, over feeding, Additives). And in general I get into very good grow/Colors for a few months. Get busy/distracted and things slip. SPS are unforgiving.
I did remove the damaged frags. About 5. Kept the good ones. Brown now, but alive, and hoping to bring live back into them. Color too.

I didn't make a Trident, I made something better.

At least (better) for my specific needs. 3 Tanks for one.
Even if I wanted to replace my two older Apex Controllers, I couldn't/won't spend to buy 3 Tridents.

I looked at other controllers. Probe Calibration, Replacements, etc.

I actually like my Apex Controllers. The Old Ones appear to be more reliable then the new Plastic and Cheaper parts. Metal Apex Jr, EB8's.
I have the Apex PH Probes, use the 0-10 Volt to Control my Gyre with a Icecap module. I use the I/O breakout input for all kind of things.
Why replace something that has done the job for over a decade.

I don't need Mag/Calcium Monitoring since I dose ESV two Part. If Alk is good, Mag/Calcium is Balanced Dead on.

About 3 months ago I decided to build my own ALK Monitor.
Thought it might be a crazy idea, but it grew, and grew, and evolved.
Biggest DIY project Ever!!

In Past, I made a TANK MATE (Advanced Doser), (3 Tank Water Changer,) a (Maintenance Minder) and (Auto Top ups). So I built up some good code.

I call all my DIY projects (Tank Mate), it's kind of a product line.

This one is called TANK MATE (AquaMon Lab+), Aqua=Water, Mon=Monitor.

Hardware is finished. Fine tuning the Aesthetic Programming.

Above is A Sneak Peek of the one of the Most Advanced Standalone, DIY Alk Monitor Controllers ever made.
For now Alk, but the Lab is designed for other possible measurements (Phosphate next on my wish list)

-> Standalone, Web Based, Internet accessible , Dual Controller, 3 Displays, 1 Touch Screen.
-> It works 100% (tested). 3 Tanks. ( Accuracy 0.1 dKh ). A-La Carte Scheduled Monitoring.
-> Very Reasonable Cost Single Regent. No probes to calibrate/replace. Self Cleaning. No distance limit.
-> Uses some clever tricks, Robotics, and AI Computer Vision. (A dozen Computer Languages, on 2 Operating Systems)
-> Even integrates with Apex Fusion (if you wish) for additional Integration/Control

ECO FRIENDLY: Made from Mostly Spare Electronics I had lying around, INCLUDING a Broken All in one HP Printer for the Housing (a ton of parts inside. Re-used).

When I finished up the Fine Touch Programming (ie Graphs, Doser Control, Custom Configs, Lighting, ALERTS, etc)...

I'll post a DEMO Video. It's fun to watch it run, and quite the show (since it moves, whirls, and I added LEDS all over the place for Effects).

Unread 11/05/2019, 01:13 AM   #970
Wally.B
Registered Member

I do plan on getting more involved in Running a Tank Thread here on Reef Central. I may actually switch over 100%.
I grew up on ReefCentral. Like the community More. Difted off for bit, but after a feel for the other forum, want to come back here.

However I've been posting till now everything here.

h t t p s://www.r e e f 2 r e e f.com/threads/%E2%98%85-110-gallon-in-wall-office-dream-sps-reef-tank-%E2%98%85-project-genesis-total-automation-diy-more-%E2%98%85.395704/

Just copy the URL above.... remove the spaces from "h t t p s" and "r e e f 2 r e e f" and put that URL into your WEB browser.

They don't allow to point any urls to their competition.

Unread 11/05/2019, 09:25 AM   #971
2mk
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
So you have two tanks. 55G is close to what I started with in my Basement In-Wall Office. Was a 65 Gal.

I found it bit tight for Rocks, Coral Placement and getting good Flow.
But It was easy to maintain, and I miss the 65 over the 110 I have (Hard to reach into it).

I didn't destroy my Frags purpose. They self destructed themselves. I just helped by messing around (instability, over feeding, Additives). And in general I get into very good grow/Colors for a few months. Get busy/distracted and things slip. SPS are unforgiving.
I did remove the damaged frags. About 5. Kept the good ones. Brown now, but alive, and hoping to bring live back into them. Color too.

I didn't make a Trident, I made something better.

At least (better) for my specific needs. 3 Tanks for one.
Even if I wanted to replace my two older Apex Controllers, I couldn't/won't spend to buy 3 Tridents.

I looked at other controllers. Probe Calibration, Replacements, etc.

I actually like my Apex Controllers. The Old Ones appear to be more reliable then the new Plastic and Cheaper parts. Metal Apex Jr, EB8's.
I have the Apex PH Probes, use the 0-10 Volt to Control my Gyre with a Icecap module. I use the I/O breakout input for all kind of things.
Why replace something that has done the job for over a decade.

I don't need Mag/Calcium Monitoring since I dose ESV two Part. If Alk is good, Mag/Calcium is Balanced Dead on.

About 3 months ago I decided to build my own ALK Monitor.
Thought it might be a crazy idea, but it grew, and grew, and evolved.
Biggest DIY project Ever!!

In Past, I made a TANK MATE (Advanced Doser), (3 Tank Water Changer,) a (Maintenance Minder) and (Auto Top ups). So I built up some good code.

I call all my DIY projects (Tank Mate), it's kind of a product line.

This one is called TANK MATE (AquaMon Lab+), Aqua=Water, Mon=Monitor.

Hardware is finished. Fine tuning the Aesthetic Programming.

Above is A Sneak Peek of the one of the Most Advanced Standalone, DIY Alk Monitor Controllers ever made.
For now Alk, but the Lab is designed for other possible measurements (Phosphate next on my wish list)

-> Standalone, Web Based, Internet accessible , Dual Controller, 3 Displays, 1 Touch Screen.
-> It works 100% (tested). 3 Tanks. ( Accuracy 0.1 dKh ). A-La Carte Scheduled Monitoring.
-> Very Reasonable Cost Single Regent. No probes to calibrate/replace. Self Cleaning. No distance limit.
-> Uses some clever tricks, Robotics, and AI Computer Vision. (A dozen Computer Languages, on 2 Operating Systems)
-> Even integrates with Apex Fusion (if you wish) for additional Integration/Control

ECO FRIENDLY: Made from Mostly Spare Electronics I had lying around, INCLUDING a Broken All in one HP Printer for the Housing (a ton of parts inside. Re-used).

When I finished up the Fine Touch Programming (ie Graphs, Doser Control, Custom Configs, Lighting, ALERTS, etc)...

I'll post a DEMO Video. It's fun to watch it run, and quite the show (since it moves, whirls, and I added LEDS all over the place for Effects).

Very impressive Wally.. I can't wait for you to post that video demonstrating your device. Maybe even have one thread introducing all the Tank Mates you have invented so far. You should be getting patents for you inventions and start selling them. The ways you recycle toss away products is very impressive.

I remember you said that you are a programmer. May I asked what programming languages you use for all you projects? And what are the hardware "brains" behind all of your inventions? Are they based on some short of traditional computer? Or some short of Raspberry Pies or the likes?

My dad keeps his Koi(s) in above ground big fiberglass/plastic tubs instead of an underground small pond ever since we moved. It tends to leak and he can't fix the problem no matter what we do, even replacing the tubs. The only salvation to it is run a timer to refill it blindly, which causes a lot of overfilling and associated mess, since water loss is unpredictable due to leaks and evaporation. I always wish I can make something that will alert him when water level is dangerously low, but I am not a programmer. (I am trying really hard to learn Java. Programming is something I always wanted to know but without much success due to time constraints and life).

Buying an Apex does not serve the purpose since that is the only function needed. Besides, the pumps and equipments involved are beyond what Apex can handle due to higher amps and voltages compared to indoor equipments.

Any advice you can offer me where to start so that I may be able to do some of what you can do "some day"?

Unread 11/05/2019, 09:52 AM   #972
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:
I do plan on getting more involved in Running a Tank Thread here on Reef Central. I may actually switch over 100%.
I grew up on ReefCentral. Like the community More. Difted off for bit, but after a feel for the other forum, want to come back here.

However I've been posting till now everything here.

h t t p s://www.r e e f 2 r e e f.com/threads/%E2%98%85-110-gallon-in-wall-office-dream-sps-reef-tank-%E2%98%85-project-genesis-total-automation-diy-more-%E2%98%85.395704/

Just copy the URL above.... remove the spaces from "h t t p s" and "r e e f 2 r e e f" and put that URL into your WEB browser.

They don't allow to point any urls to their competition.

The 2 tanks thing. 55g is really tight and not designed for reefing. It's actually already filled to capacity after I put in my stuff. No room to work with as you described earlier.

Bought a 75g Aqueon 3/8" glass (same width and height but deeper) and returned it after noticing the silicone seams are splitting apart when water was filled in for the first time. I freaked out when I saw what was happening with thoughts of 75g of salt water on the living room floor! (Strange thing I notice is even my current 55G with 1/2" glass "buckles" when filled. I notice this after recently making a snug fitting egg crate partial cover to fit on the top. After water is filled, it's no longer snug fitting and has a gap of more than 1/2 centimeter at one tank corner between the tanks top rim and its snug fitting egg crate.)

(The current 55g was going to be turned into a all inclusive sump, fuge, ATO and water change reservoir. Plans got derailed and all ambitions was lost)

Unread 11/06/2019, 03:18 PM   #973
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:
the 2 tanks thing. 55g is really tight and not designed for reefing. It's actually already filled to capacity after i put in my stuff. No room to work with as you described earlier.

Bought a 75g aqueon 3/8" glass (same width and height but deeper) and returned it after noticing the silicone seams are splitting apart when water was filled in for the first time. I freaked out when i saw what was happening with thoughts of 75g of salt water on the living room floor! (strange thing i notice is even my current 55g with 1/2" glass "buckles" when filled. I notice this after recently making a snug fitting egg crate partial cover to fit on the top. After water is filled, it's no longer snug fitting and has a gap of more than 1/2 centimeter at one tank corner between the tanks top rim and its snug fitting egg crate.)

(the current 55g was going to be turned into a all inclusive sump, fuge, ato and water change reservoir. Plans got derailed and all ambitions was lost)
correction on the 1/2" glass. It is 1/4" glass instead

Unread 11/06/2019, 03:20 PM   #974
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:
correction on the 1/2" glass. It is 1/4" glass instead

CORRECTION AGAIN. i WAS RIGHT IN THE FIRST TIME. IT WAS 4/8" = 1/2" GLASS

Unread 11/07/2019, 01:34 AM   #975
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Very impressive Wally.. I can't wait for you to post that video demonstrating your device. Maybe even have one thread introducing all the Tank Mates you have invented so far. You should be getting patents for you inventions and start selling them. The ways you recycle toss away products is very impressive.
To be honest. I'm getting tired of this project. I get really excited when I researching or solving a problem. Or building and modifying.
All that is behind me, and I just got to write all the Human Interface Software. I would actually be more motivated if I was writing the Inteface for others. Like you. But for myself it tough, to just say Good Enough.
But I have learned that if I cut corners, then I regret it later.
So REALLY CLOSE to finished. Really close means probably two weeks, or maybe 4 days.
THEN THE VIDEO WILL BE OUT. I can't wait myself.

Quote:
I remember you said that you are a programmer. May I asked what programming languages you use for all you projects? And what are the hardware "brains" behind all of your inventions?
Are they based on some short of traditional computer? Or some short of Raspberry Pies or the likes?
You got one of the Brains!!

The Alk Monitor Lab is two brains. A Raspberry PI that does the "Do this" "Do that" "Do this next" and "Time to do this" and also is the "Touch screen Interface" that's a Web Page. One one more important thing. It runs the Camera that does the Measurement.

The 2nd Controller is a "Ardiuno". It's super fast to run the motors, the pumps, INSTANTLY. Something a Raspberry Pi can kind of do, but can be sometime busy doing other stuff since it has a operating system like Windows (called Linux)

As Far as Software.....
The Ariduno is Pure "C" Compiler. Very bits and bytes.
The PI is a "Linux Operating System", and Web Servers, Open CV Computer vision, C code for fast stuff, Perl for Scripts and sequencing, Other modules too.

Quote:
My dad keeps his Koi(s) in above ground big fiberglass/plastic tubs instead of an underground small pond ever since we moved. It tends to leak and he can't fix the problem no matter what we do, even replacing the tubs. The only salvation to it is run a timer to refill it blindly, which causes a lot of overfilling and associated mess, since water loss is unpredictable due to leaks and evaporation. I always wish I can make something that will alert him when water level is dangerously low, but I am not a programmer. (I am trying really hard to learn Java. Programming is something I always wanted to know but without much success due to time constraints and life).
You Dad sounds productive. And you could probably help him with some automation.

Forget Java. I tried to learn it. Too Cryptic.
For starters, get a Raspberry PI, and learn Maybe (Python). And if you do, you can learn about (GPIO), which is connections on the Raspberry PI to turn on LEDS, Turn on a Pump, listen for a Push-Button.
I hate Python since it kind of for beginners (Easy to start and read), and kind of for Experts (Cryptic for me compare to other Languages).

Quote:
Buying an Apex does not serve the purpose since that is the only function needed. Besides, the pumps and equipments involved are beyond what Apex can handle due to higher amps and voltages compared to indoor equipments.

Any advice you can offer me where to start so that I may be able to do some of what you can do "some day"?
I already metioned Raspberry PI.
Maybe look into a Project Called ReefPI, which is a ready to go Aquarium COntroller, that someone designed and built, and give you the Code to Run on the PI computer, and you then customize. When you customize you can learn. There are forum group that help each other. The ReefPI can run lights, outlets, sensors like Temp or PH, pumps, has a touch display like mine, etc, etc

OR

Get this kit.... (Which can build a ReefPI and more)
https://www.amazon.com/Freenove-Rasp...3111995&sr=8-4

Great way to learn C, Python, or Java. Comes with Lessons and a ton of part to do all kind of projects. Plenty of Raspberry Pi books with Projects out there (I get myProgramming Books from Public Library...Too expensive to buy).

*** BUT don't get into controlling High Voltage/Current Stuff like you dad's outdoor AC pump *** Not for beginners and can kill you. Especially around water.
I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and still don't like High Voltage. I rather do all my stuff with Low Voltage DC stuff.

But if you are Young, and Eager to Learn, get into Stuff like Raspberry PI, or Ardiuno.
I learned it all myself (as Hobby, not school, not job). SLOWLY. Small projects (Like push a button and turn on LED) and got better and better. Took 4 years to really get into more complex stuff.

The best way to get into it is Having a Purpose. Not just doing copycat projects.
I would suggest you goal is to Make you own Auto Top Up, with a Float Switch and a DC Pump.
[Float UP, Pump OFF] [Float down, Pump on]. Then do more, like add a display to show how much water gets added. Add features like a Auto Top up Limit to prevent flood. Etc. You get my point. Start Small, work up.

Last edited by Wally.B; 11/07/2019 at 01:58 AM.

Tags
automation, dosing, sump