Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2009, 10:05 PM   #101
dtech
Registered Member

Almost can't go wrong with that plan, we all have learned a bit that way I'm sure me for sure

dtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2009, 09:35 AM   #102
troylee
Moved On

well the tank is offically 100% done just needs a good cleaning from all the wax and stuff from polishing....i got the 5ft calflo overflow installed and all three 1.5" durso's for the bean animals dead silent failsafe operation..thanks bean, and jim "uncleof6"for sticking with me and helping out.......
almost there........it should be filled in less than 3 weeks...SWEET!!!!!!

troylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2009, 10:26 AM   #103
dantimdad
Registered Member

Very nice!

What are the final dimensions?

dantimdad

Current Tank Info: 50 reef (dry docked after vandalism...long story), 46 reef and getting ready to setup 300+ shark tank
dantimdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2009, 11:36 AM   #104
troylee
Moved On

it turned out to be 30w 22t and 96l......i know its a funky size but my material came a little oversized and i utilized as much as i could get out of it. turned out to be a 275 but it's close enough to 300 to make me happy...... my current display is only a 160 so this will be nice and give me room for stuff......
here is one more i couldnt edit the above post with the pics

Last edited by troylee; 06/09/2009 at 12:03 PM.
Unread 06/10/2009, 12:55 PM   #105
sunsetSPS
Registered Member

Very nice tank.
How did you choose to have overflow on half side of the tank but not at the center or both ends?

sunsetSPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 01:27 PM   #106
troylee
Moved On

"thanks"just the way i plan on setting it up.......pretty much guessed since not very many people have exp. in the design i guess i asked around for awhile....... my plan was to have all the power heads on the left side and push everything to the right side......the overflow actually covers more than half the back of the tank i think it will be fine.......i hope anyways......those famous last words.lol. well soon found out.......

Unread 06/11/2009, 03:27 PM   #107
troylee
Moved On

well the steel arrived finally for the stand so i got it all cut and degreased and tacked the top frame together.......hopefully tomorrow it will be ready to go.

Unread 06/11/2009, 04:49 PM   #108
Zack33
Registered Member

nice progress i love your build so far

Can't wait to see more progress

Zack

Zack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 06:19 PM   #109
dtech
Registered Member

Looks great, the tank looks very nice. Are you adding adjusters to the stand for leveling?

Unread 06/11/2009, 11:54 PM   #110
gooyferret
Registered Member

Troylee that tank is looking great! Wish I was good using acrylic and could build my own tank!

Current Tank Info: 180gal Mixed Reef
gooyferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 07:55 AM   #111
FFrankie
Registered Member

What a beauty!! Well done TroyLee!

FFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 08:51 AM   #112
troylee
Moved On

Thanks for the kind words frankie and ferret and d-tech.....almost got the stand done will post pics in a little while....can we say over kill?????lol...my co-workers think I'm nuts there like man you could park a russian tank on that thing......it don't really look overkill to me but the material is a real heavy gauge..and the stand is heavy its self around 3or 400lbs......the only thing it 's gonns hurt is my back moving it in lol.....

Unread 06/12/2009, 01:45 PM   #113
troylee
Moved On

well i finished up the stand the frame anyways.still gonna skin it with wood down the road, real nice after momma pics out some wood she likes..........so here is some pics as promised and the tank loaded in my truck coming home today for a leak test over the weekend........WHICH BRINGS ME TO THE SCARIEST PART OF THE BUILD SO FAR INTRODUCING THE WIFE TO THE NEW TANK!!!!!!!! she is gonna kill me lol......i told it her it was just a tad bigger than the one i have now which it is it's only a foot wider and 2ft longer lol.........it sounded good..... so time to pay the price and get it off my shoulders.she will be fine by monday....i got back up shes getting a new bigger house so there is no arguing lol.......

Unread 06/12/2009, 04:41 PM   #114
troylee
Moved On

well the introduction went well the wife won't speak to me..her last words were "well im done packing my stuff have fun in your new house with your new tank......lol. she will get over it....and more good news the leak test passed and 2 out of my 3 curious little ones joining in on the fun.... more pics to come.....

Unread 06/12/2009, 08:22 PM   #115
FFrankie
Registered Member

That's awesome
Well worth a week or two in the dog house

FFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 09:34 PM   #116
dtech
Registered Member

Worth it I say too Looks good with H2O in there.

Unread 06/12/2009, 11:14 PM   #117
uncleof6
Registered Member

I think the kids want to go swimming in it Troylee. When it is done balancing out, get them all a little Nemo.

Jim

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2009, 10:08 AM   #118
troylee
Moved On

Now jim.....come on man we all know the picture is coming you know the tradtional one on tank builds this large.....I already promised them they could go swimming in it...lol....just needs to warm up... heck I was already in it before I filled it with water its pretty big inside there.....

Unread 06/15/2009, 03:17 PM   #119
troylee
Moved On

well after a break for the week end i hit it hard again today and got all my material cut out and the first of 4 d.i.y. lumenarcs done.....

Unread 06/17/2009, 02:19 PM   #120
troylee
Moved On

ok the lumenarcs are done the frame is rhino lined and the power/breaker box is wired and ready for install......my darn labeler ran out so not all the switches and plugs are labeled but they will be please forgive me.....lol.....i got five 20amp gfi plugs all wired ind. with a switch to kill each one and a master switch that will kill all 5 if your wandering why there is 6 switches and 5 plugs........
QUICK RECAPP......
diy tank
diy sump
diy stand
diy rhino line on stand...
diy lumenarcs
diy breaker box.....
all thats left is the wood for the frame and canopy but thats later after shes up and running.....

Unread 06/17/2009, 02:54 PM   #121
grallster
Registered Member

Looking good!

grallster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2009, 05:22 PM   #122
Lawnsharks
Registered Member

Wow man nice job. Ill be watching from here on out. Really like the DIY lumenarc, and the outlet box.

Current Tank Info: 15 is running, filling the 125 now!
Lawnsharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2009, 05:27 PM   #123
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

Just a suggestion, get a double pole switch for the master and run 2 circuits. That way if one trips (the circuit breaker, not the GFI), you dont kill the whole tank.

Your boss may want you to start building tanks out of your shop now, lol. Plus, you may be living there unless your wife comes around, so you will have lots of time

H20ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2009, 05:34 PM   #124
jejton
Registered Member

I just skimmed through this thread and its great. I really love what you've done so far. I dont know if you already are planning on it but if not, make sure to have a proper quarantine, for your fish and corals. It be terrible to spend all this time and money on such a beautiful tank ( even a small one but its a real PITA with one this size ) only to have to tear it down to catch one little fish with ich or introduce a pest with a frag and have to treat the whole tank.

jejton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2009, 05:39 PM   #125
troylee
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
Just a suggestion, get a double pole switch for the master and run 2 circuits. That way if one trips (the circuit breaker, not the GFI), you dont kill the whole tank.

Your boss may want you to start building tanks out of your shop now, lol. Plus, you may be living there unless your wife comes around, so you will have lots of time
good thinking i just might have to do this........didnt think about it...thanks.....and thanks to everyone for stopping bye and all the kind words.... as for building tanks at my shop lol.......thats what the general manger said were in the wrong buisness lol....