Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2018, 09:36 AM   #1
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Heavy Metals in Tank

How dangerous is Tin in the tank? In July I got a triton test that indicated I had high levels of aluminium and zinc. The recommendation was to do 6X 15% water changes and to switch FROM Red Sea Black bucket TO Red Sea BLUE bucket. I did 7 changes with the BLUE bucket (because I can't count) and retested. The Al and Zn are way down in green range, but now I have high Tin. Because the only thing I changed was the salt (and added a duncan frag and Monti Cap) I'm assuming that the blue bucket salt has Tin? How dangerous is this? Triton now suggests 6 more water changes. I'd prefer not to do because 1) water changes are a hassle and I'm lazy and 2) the whole reason I went with this Triton method was to not do water changes. Everything in my tank looks pretty good, the Monti Cap is starting to grow pretty nicely. I'm still new to reefing, but I know not to chase numbers and I have a pretty "let nature take it's course" kinda attitude. I don't want to worry about something I don't need. to.
July Report
https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroo...icp-oes/60832/

Oct Report
https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroo...icp-oes/60827/

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
cjpitt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2018, 08:47 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

You are the second person to report a high tin level from a Triton test lately.

I might run a PolyFilter if I were worried. I think that's about all that you can do. The salt product might have some tin in it, but the alternative wasn't any better. Are any animals showing signs of trouble?

Unread 10/08/2018, 12:19 PM   #3
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Everything looks ok. My Monti Cap is really starting to take off. Euphyllia look okay, that aren't growing wild, but they look healthy. I've had a two Flashers die, but I'm pretty sure they are just weak. I had another batch die in my QT. I'm thinking it has to be salt since there was none before. I'll run a little Polyfilter and see how it goes

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
Unread 10/08/2018, 03:27 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay, as long as the animals are doing well enough, I wouldn't worry all that much.

Unread 10/08/2018, 10:27 PM   #5
OzIA
Registered Member

Hmmmm...
I recently received results with Tin (6.0 ug/l), Antimony (6.378 ug/l), Zinc (35 ug/l) and slightly elevated aluminum (8.0 ug/l).

I figured I dropped a screw in the tank somewhere but haven't found it.

OzIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 09:42 PM   #6
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I've always been of the opinion that old tank syndrome was caused in part by metal buildup. So as long as you are exporting metals faster than you are importing by salt etc, it should be ok.

Unread 10/15/2018, 06:00 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

A PolyFilter can help remove at least most toxic metals. That might be worth trying if animals are having problems.

Unread 10/17/2018, 01:42 PM   #8
cjpitt80
Registered Member

I have some PolyFilter I can throw in there. I originally got it when I had the aluminum in. It made my skimmer go crazy so I removed it and did the water changes

Unread 10/17/2018, 06:38 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

I didn't know that PolyFilters could cause skimmer problems. How many times have you used one? Did they always cause problems?

Unread 10/18/2018, 10:26 AM   #10
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I didn't know that PolyFilters could cause skimmer problems. How many times have you used one? Did they always cause problems?
Used it 1 time for about a day. Certainly not the biggest sample number, I know. I'll try again

Unread 10/18/2018, 09:04 PM   #11
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay, I'd be interested in whether it causes problems again.