Macropharyngodon meleagris 78 33.05%
Macropharyngodon negrosensis 29 12.29%
Other 26 11.02%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2018, 08:59 AM   #3776
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

In my case it is essentially a mini reef. Live rock, sand, SPS caliber light, small wave pump and a skimmer.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 03:12 PM   #3777
Sailfin11
Registered Member

I have an absolutely crazy story about my new bipartus leopard wrasse! It arrived yesterday from LA and was acclimated into my 29 gallon QT. After a few hours of dimmed light, I fed some frozen food for the other fish and to see if she would be interested. She actually started to pick at some food! I went to sleep confident that she would do well but woke up the next morning to an upside-down fish. Surprisingly, she was not dead and started to swim upside-down much to my surprise. I turned off all the pumps and the HOB and went to work. I came back expecting her to be dead, but when I got back she was nowhere to be seen. I looked for her and saw her perched on the powerhead. When I put my finger in the water she started to swim and has been for the last few hours. Do you know what happened? I originally thought that she had a swim bladder issue. Any ideas?

Sailfin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 04:51 PM   #3778
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailfin11 View Post
I have an absolutely crazy story about my new bipartus leopard wrasse! It arrived yesterday from LA and was acclimated into my 29 gallon QT. After a few hours of dimmed light, I fed some frozen food for the other fish and to see if she would be interested. She actually started to pick at some food! I went to sleep confident that she would do well but woke up the next morning to an upside-down fish. Surprisingly, she was not dead and started to swim upside-down much to my surprise. I turned off all the pumps and the HOB and went to work. I came back expecting her to be dead, but when I got back she was nowhere to be seen. I looked for her and saw her perched on the powerhead. When I put my finger in the water she started to swim and has been for the last few hours. Do you know what happened? I originally thought that she had a swim bladder issue. Any ideas?
Do you have sand in the QT?

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 05:54 PM   #3779
Sailfin11
Registered Member

Yes, I have about 2.5" of sand in a large container on the bottom of the QT. He seems to be interested in it and currently swimming over the sandy area.

Sailfin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 06:17 PM   #3780
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailfin11 View Post
Yes, I have about 2.5" of sand in a large container on the bottom of the QT. He seems to be interested in it and currently swimming over the sandy area.
At this point I’d try just putting the sand a couple inches deep directly on the bottom. It’s definitely not a good sign if it won’t burrow.

Unread 10/21/2018, 01:07 AM   #3781
OrionN
Moved on

We need to change this poll. We certainly can keep multiple species of Leopard Wrasses. We should be able to vote multiple times.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2018, 07:59 PM   #3782
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
We need to change this poll. We certainly can keep multiple species of Leopard Wrasses. We should be able to vote multiple times.
Yup, and there are a bunch of species missing. Lapillus, Moyer, Vivienne, Kuiters, pakako, ornate .... just off the top of my head.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 11/03/2018, 08:26 PM   #3783
Smokey Stover
Registered Member

Has anyone had a Melagris turn male lately/yet? My pair of females are doing great, 6 months in the DT now.

Smokey Stover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2018, 07:11 PM   #3784
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have two pairs in separate tanks. In both cases the larger has mostly turned male. Seems to get stuck, perhaps the fish version of a cross dresser

Unread 11/06/2018, 01:10 PM   #3785
Jstn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I have two pairs in separate tanks. In both cases the larger has mostly turned male. Seems to get stuck, perhaps the fish version of a cross dresser
So i had two melagris, one became male in a month, then died 18 months later, my female is still female 4 years later.

I had three blue star, the LFS had 4 tiny (1.5" babies), i bough two, then bough two more 3 days later. Only 3 survived (the first 2 and 1 of the second), but the larger of the first two became male, and the third one in a matter of days of being separated from the group was pre-male, as the male would pick on him. I sold off the larger male and one of the females after 2-3 years so number 3 was left and once the big male was gone she changed and has been male for the last year or so

I also have a potters leopard around 4 years, he has taken his time going make and you can only tell as the colors deepened.

All these fish still live together, so there is little rhyme or reason IME

Jstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 12:49 AM   #3786
FDAWG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Yup, and there are a bunch of species missing. Lapillus, Moyer, Vivienne, Kuiters, pakako, ornate .... just off the top of my head.
Pakako? Got some info or a link? Never heard of this one 😃

FDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 10:52 AM   #3787
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

That’s because I mis-spelled it. Pakoko .... I suspect it’s probably just a regional variant of meleagris.

Unread 12/04/2018, 08:01 AM   #3788
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

So after having a failed attempt at purchasing through LA, I decided to go through my LFS for 2 wrasses. I've had good success with other fish from this store. He happened to have an ornate and a meleagris, both females I think.

The mel was definitely eating frozen mysis in the store and has since I got her home. The other wasn't, but both looked in very good health, so I took both.

My QT is set up with live rock, a bit of cheato I took from the DT sump to help bring in some pods, and a 2" sand bed. I did not TTM, afraid it would be too much stress.

My plan is to use the QT for 3 to 4 weeks, and provided they remain healthy and there are no signs of ick, I'll move them to the DT. I have dosed Prazi this week (got them Friday) and will likely do that one more time at least.

I've ordered some more pods to make sure I keep the population up in the QT for the ornate. Should be here by Friday. In the meantime I'm shaking a bit of cheato over the QT, and feeding a bit of mysis when I see them out.

Few questions:

1. How should I handle lighting or day/night cycles? Should I worry about that too much? They get some light from my DT, but I'm mostly running blues to help combat algae right now. I turn the overhead room light on when I get home, but timing isn't very consistent.

2. How much/often do y'all dose prazi in just a QT setting? (I'm used to twice during TTM).

3. Is there any concern if they're staying in the sand for a couple days in a row?

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 09:06 AM   #3789
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
So after having a failed attempt at purchasing through LA, I decided to go through my LFS for 2 wrasses. I've had good success with other fish from this store. He happened to have an ornate and a meleagris, both females I think.

The mel was definitely eating frozen mysis in the store and has since I got her home. The other wasn't, but both looked in very good health, so I took both.

My QT is set up with live rock, a bit of cheato I took from the DT sump to help bring in some pods, and a 2" sand bed. I did not TTM, afraid it would be too much stress.

My plan is to use the QT for 3 to 4 weeks, and provided they remain healthy and there are no signs of ick, I'll move them to the DT. I have dosed Prazi this week (got them Friday) and will likely do that one more time at least.

I've ordered some more pods to make sure I keep the population up in the QT for the ornate. Should be here by Friday. In the meantime I'm shaking a bit of cheato over the QT, and feeding a bit of mysis when I see them out.

Few questions:

1. How should I handle lighting or day/night cycles? Should I worry about that too much? They get some light from my DT, but I'm mostly running blues to help combat algae right now. I turn the overhead room light on when I get home, but timing isn't very consistent.

2. How much/often do y'all dose prazi in just a QT setting? (I'm used to twice during TTM).

3. Is there any concern if they're staying in the sand for a couple days in a row?
I’d just get a cheap shop light and clip it on the QT set to the same time as your display.

I’ve never had much luck with prazi and leopards. I’ve done much better injecting flagyl into the mysis they were eating every 3 days for a total of 4 treatments. When I just used prazi I’ve have quite a few just waste away even while eating well.

Unread 12/04/2018, 09:16 AM   #3790
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
I’d just get a cheap shop light and clip it on the QT set to the same time as your display.

I’ve never had much luck with prazi and leopards. I’ve done much better injecting flagyl into the mysis they were eating every 3 days for a total of 4 treatments. When I just used prazi I’ve have quite a few just waste away even while eating well.
From intern parasites right? Not the prazi, itself?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Unread 12/04/2018, 09:33 AM   #3791
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
From intern parasites right? Not the prazi, itself?

Right

Unread 12/04/2018, 09:45 AM   #3792
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Right
Is there a fish product for Flagyl like prazi that your using or can point me too? I tried a quick Amazon search.

Unread 12/04/2018, 10:30 AM   #3793
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Is there a fish product for Flagyl like prazi that your using or can point me too? I tried a quick Amazon search.

Not sure. I’ve bought it from SeahorseSource in the past but now I just go to the feed store and thin it with water.

Unread 12/19/2018, 12:53 PM   #3794
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

So update. I lost the ornate a day after posting. I think it was just lack of eating (should have left at LFS), but I did dose prazi the day before. Had been hiding in the sand for a couple of days, and was on top dead one morning.

The other is still alive and well. Eating frozen, and pods I've tried to keep in the QT.

If she stays good this week, it'll be about 30 days come Sunday, so I'm thinking of dosing Prazi one more time and then moving her to the DT shortly after.

Then I get to decide if I want to try for another leopard or 2 or just go straight to a mandarin in a few months.

Unread 12/20/2018, 07:06 AM   #3795
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Ugggghhhhhhh

Came to check this morning and found her dead. I may just have to forgo leopards for awhile.

Tried to politely get her out of the sand last night as I hadn't seen her in over 48 hours. She was alive then, but reburied. Not sure what happened over night.

Unread 01/05/2019, 08:40 AM   #3796
OrionN
Moved on

I wanted to have just one species of Leopard Wrasse in my 360, but ended up with 2 species. All doing well now.
2 negrosensis (juvi.), 1 meleagris (juvi.) and 1 potter (male). I hope my Negrosensis mature and turn female then male. The coloration of adult Negrosensis are stunning, both female and male.
I think I eventually will remove the Potter and Meleagris.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 01/05/2019, 12:40 PM   #3797
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
I wanted to have just one species of Leopard Wrasse in my 360, but ended up with 2 species. All doing well now.
2 negrosensis (juvi.), 1 meleagris (juvi.) and 1 potter (male). I hope my Negrosensis mature and turn female then male. The coloration of adult Negrosensis are stunning, both female and male.
I think I eventually will remove the Potter and Meleagris.

How long have you had the Potter’s? I’ve actually had much better luck with Choati than Potter’s. All I want in my 210g for wrasses is a Choati and Potter’s but so far I’m 0/3 with the Potter’s. They will be doing great one day and then I suddenly never see them again.

Unread 01/05/2019, 01:41 PM   #3798
OrionN
Moved on

I had him since June 2018. The only survivor of the 4 I ordered from LA. in 6/2018.
1 of the 4 was DOA and the two female died shortly after that.

Unread 01/05/2019, 02:45 PM   #3799
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
I had him since June 2018. The only survivor of the 4 I ordered from LA. in 6/2018.
1 of the 4 was DOA and the two female died shortly after that.
Gives me at least a little hope. I just ordered 2 more but one came with a damaged mouth. Both are eating though. I ordered a few thousand amphipods so I’m hoping those will get at least one of these to survive. They were a bit expensive for Potter’s but I don’t see they very often anymore.

Unread 01/05/2019, 02:55 PM   #3800
Cliving1
Registered Member

I didn't know you can mix. Thoughts on a female meleagris and a female blue star in a 75?

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote