Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2018, 08:15 PM   #1
sbash
Registered Member

Fallow After Brook Outbreak

Hi Everybody,

I screwed up my QT protocol and caused a ridiculous brooklynella outbreak in my DT. My question is two part:

First, since a couple fish survived, how long should I wait before adding new fish? I.e. I would assume since there could still be a risk of them catching it, the fallow period should be extended based on the lifecycle of the parasite. My plan is to wait 4 weeks from the last death, then add the recommended 6 week 'fallow'; thus making it a 10 week waiting period in total.

Second, how are corals affected? For example, I have several which need to be fragged back, so I'll hang a frag rack, and they should be safe to move into other systems after the 10 week waiting period?

As a slight aside, I also need to move some corals INTO this tank, these corals have been in an isolated environment for at least 8-10 weeks (August 24 was the last time I brought a new coral into any of my tanks). Actually, having written this out, I'll wait until the 11 week mark (next Friday) just to play it super safe - although they are cohabiting with other fish right now...

Thanks!

sbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 08:23 PM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

For brook, you need to go completely fishless for 6 weeks, and treat any survivors in a QT. Even though they may not be showing any symptoms, those fish could be asymptomatic carriers capable of infecting any new fish you add. Especially clownfish.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote