Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2018, 02:41 PM   #1
frobnicate
Registered Member

Unhappy Brown algae huge outbreak one year in?

Has anyone seen this before? Pictures below. Seemingly out of nowhere this outbreak has occurred practically covering my substrate. I'm not 100% sure what it is. It's rusty and dusty like diatoms but it goes 100% away at night and comes back shortly after lights are on which would imply cyano. But I've had cyano before and it was completely different than this. No bubbles, at all.

Nitrates hang around 2ppm. Phosphates typically read 0. The tank's approaching one year old. Plenty of flow. Corals and fishies are all happy and healthy and growing. I do weekly 10% water changes using RODI, no tap.

I dose vodka (6ml/daily, this is a 120g Reefer 450) starting about five weeks ago. I use GFO sparingly, typically around 3 tbs sitting in a BRS reactor changed every couple weeks.

I keep calcium/alk/magnesium pretty solidly around 450/9/1400. I use dosers with BRS 2-part to maintain those levels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Images here (imgur)

frobnicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 04:38 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Looks like cyano from here..
Many have found that dosing vodka caused more issues with cyano vs using vinegar..

Unread 02/15/2018, 06:36 PM   #3
frobnicate
Registered Member

Hey there, I appreciate the reply. When I said vodka I meant Nopox -- although I'm sure what you mentioned is still relevant.

What's the appropriate course of action here? Stopping Nopox 100%? Or reducing the dosage?

Unread 02/15/2018, 06:58 PM   #4
ramseynb
Registered Member

Does it blow off like dust? It looks like diatoms to me. Have you checked your RO filters lately? Did you start using a different salt? I haven't used NoPox but overdosing a carbon source could certainly cause a bacteria bloom.

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 07:18 PM   #5
frobnicate
Registered Member

It does blow off like dust, not like mats when I've had cyano in the past. But it goes 100% away at night and comes back in the morning - isn't that typical cyano behavior? It's been too long since my tank cycled and I had the initial diatom bloom. I can't recall how it behaves with lights out.

My RO filters are good - swapped out about a month ago. Same salt as always (Red Sea Coral Pro).

I'm going to reduce the nopox dosage by half tomorrow and maintain that level for a while. I don't like the 'loosey-goosey'ness of changing this stuff. It feels like throwing a bunch of crap on the wall and seeing what sticks. But clearly something needs to change.

Unread 02/15/2018, 07:48 PM   #6
HBtank
Premium Member

Diatoms, yes they can dissipate overnight.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 08:15 PM   #7
ramseynb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobnicate View Post
It does blow off like dust, not like mats when I've had cyano in the past. But it goes 100% away at night and comes back in the morning - isn't that typical cyano behavior? It's been too long since my tank cycled and I had the initial diatom bloom. I can't recall how it behaves with lights out.

My RO filters are good - swapped out about a month ago. Same salt as always (Red Sea Coral Pro).

I'm going to reduce the nopox dosage by half tomorrow and maintain that level for a while. I don't like the 'loosey-goosey'ness of changing this stuff. It feels like throwing a bunch of crap on the wall and seeing what sticks. But clearly something needs to change.
Good call on reducing the dosing. Just do it slowly. I use Zeovit products and if I dose too much of one of their carbon sources, I'll get some diatoms and film algae.

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 08:20 PM   #8
frobnicate
Registered Member

Really appreciate the insight, guys.