Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tampa Bay Saltwater
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2014, 04:18 PM   #1
cubsFAN
Moved On

Fedex maybe?

Hi Richard. Been following your rock for a long time and I've always been interested in starting a tank with it. I moved far from civilization and broke down the old aquarium and life without a tank is already getting old. I've decided to set up a small aquarium to tide me over for the next year or so until I move again to a more final destination. I'm looking at the IM fusion nano 10 gallon. I'm thinking about 7-10 pounds of live rock or so should do the trick. I wouldn't need to go with the package. Your website mentions that you could do fedex although the cost would be quite a bit more. Any idea of how much to ship it to 96104? I'm pretty far away from any sort of major airport. Thanks.

cubsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2014, 05:12 PM   #2
cubsFAN
Moved On

I was just fiddling with the possible costs on the fed ex site. Not sure how much the total package would weigh, but the price might be too crazy. Still curious though. Thanks.

Unread 08/17/2014, 06:32 AM   #3
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsFAN View Post
I was just fiddling with the possible costs on the fed ex site. Not sure how much the total package would weigh, but the price might be too crazy. Still curious though. Thanks.

10 pounds of rock will weigh about 25 pounds with the water on it....Fed ex is crazy high these days..about $6 a pound.....compared to the airlines at .90 a pound....

...would be best to pick it up at SMF when you are down that way.....one day...

sea ya
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com
www.tbsaltwater.com

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2014, 10:47 AM   #4
chris.scang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
10 pounds of rock will weigh about 25 pounds with the water on it....Fed ex is crazy high these days..about $6 a pound.....compared to the airlines at .90 a pound....

...would be best to pick it up at SMF when you are down that way.....one day...

sea ya
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com
www.tbsaltwater.com
RNO could be another option too!

chris.scang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2014, 12:19 PM   #5
cubsFAN
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.scang View Post
RNO could be another option too!
Yup reno is probably the closest major airport. It takes me about three hours to drive there from where I'm at. I really want to get some of this tbs rock. I figure I could use it to seed dry rock when I start up a larger tank in a year or two. Comes to roughly 20 bucks for a pound of live rock. Of course I've spent money on way more useless stuff. I'll think it over. If I don't pull the trigger, I'm sure I'll regret it down the road.

Unread 08/17/2014, 04:15 PM   #6
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsFAN View Post
Yup reno is probably the closest major airport. It takes me about three hours to drive there from where I'm at. I really want to get some of this tbs rock. I figure I could use it to seed dry rock when I start up a larger tank in a year or two. Comes to roughly 20 bucks for a pound of live rock. Of course I've spent money on way more useless stuff. I'll think it over. If I don't pull the trigger, I'm sure I'll regret it down the road.
Where are you..I went to school in in Rocklin......and made may a trip to from SMF.....to Tahoe....was really neat back then in 1968......over the hump Donner's summit...on 1-80..in my 1965 volkswagon....was a neat time!

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2014, 10:54 PM   #7
cubsFAN
Moved On

Sounds like a blast Richard! Nothing like a good road trip. I lived in south Lake Tahoe the last 11 years, but moved to cedarville ca this summer for my job with the us forest service. Cedarville is about 30 minutes east of alturas and three hours north of reno. Eventually I plan to move back to the Tahoe area when my apprenticeship ends. It broke my heart to leave, but it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. It's not so bad up here, but I just don't feel like its home. Haven't been without a tank since I got into the hobby about 13 years ago and there isn't anyone in the hobby in this area that I'm aware of. I'm a big fan of donner and the north shore area. It's really the nicest part of Tahoe in my opinion.