Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2017, 09:10 PM   #1
GardenVariety
Registered Member

Help me stock my 210 reef.

I'm looking for a non aggressive community tank with smaller inhabitants. Must be completely reef safe. What would you choose and in what order? Tank is 7x2x2. No Tangs please.

GardenVariety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 01:17 AM   #2
HidingReefer
Registered Member

I would try fairy wrasses, pretty, active, colorful, and peaceful. Make sure you have a lid though
If you are willing to feed extra, a school of anthias would be stunning.
Leopard wrasses are also beautiful additions to reef tanks, although they are a bit more challenging

HidingReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 02:52 AM   #3
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidingReefer View Post
I would try fairy wrasses, pretty, active, colorful, and peaceful. Make sure you have a lid though
Leopard wrasses are also beautiful additions to reef tanks, although they are a bit more challenging
Yeah I have a single anthia and I have to feed several times a day. It has such a ferocious appetite and tries to eat ALL the food (everyone's)

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

I would pick big schools of colorful fish like anthias and chromis always swimming in the front and adding lots of color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blizzard 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 12:00 AM   #5
mikem101
Registered Member

I would throw an adult Midas Blenny in there!

mikem101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 08:25 AM   #6
GardenVariety
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidingReefer View Post
I'm definitely looking into fairy wrasses as well as a few others. It seems that very few wrasses are completely reef safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard 123 View Post
I would pick big schools of colorful fish like anthias and chromis always swimming in the front and adding lots of color

Chromis are another possible addition. I think my tank is large enough to house a small school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem101 View Post
I would throw an adult Midas Blenny in there!
Definitely on my list.

Unread 08/16/2017, 07:54 PM   #7
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Yeah you could do quite a big school of blue reef chromis. They are much better looking then your average blue/green chromis if you happen to find any.

Blizzard 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 08:07 PM   #8
Joe0813
Registered Member

chromis will eventually just kill each other off. Id do some fairy/flasher wrasse. watchman goby with pistol shrimp. Midas blenny is cool. flamehawk if you don't have shrimp. Lawnmower blenny, might not be the prettiest of fish but they have a ton of personality. Lyretail anthias is also a nice choice...

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 11:37 PM   #9
954Reef
Registered Member

Magnificent foxface, kole tang

954Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 07:25 AM   #10
MarkW64
Registered Member

I'm slowly stocking my 230g mixed reef. I also prefer smaller fish. I largely plan to have pairs, trios, and small groups. I already have a group of 6 threadfin (blue-eyed, or glass) cardinals which are fun. I'm trying to get a group of red spotted gobies (only about one inch.) Definitely planning an anthias group. I've also come to realize, mostly from posts on this forum, that some species are dismissed to quickly as over aggressive -- especially in a tank as large as ours. A number of people report good results with a small group of Chrysiptera damsels -- less aggressive than other damsels, and any aggression tends to be focused towards other members of their group. Same with a trio of orchid dotybacks, which are reported to be mellower than other dotys. I also have a pair of blue stripe pipefish which add some cool variety.

Unread 08/17/2017, 07:49 AM   #11
GardenVariety
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
chromis will eventually just kill each other off. Id do some fairy/flasher wrasse. watchman goby with pistol shrimp. Midas blenny is cool. flamehawk if you don't have shrimp. Lawnmower blenny, might not be the prettiest of fish but they have a ton of personality. Lyretail anthias is also a nice choice...
Very good suggestions. These along with a pair of Frostbite Clowns and a few others are my main choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Reef View Post
Magnificent foxface, kole tang
Funny Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW64 View Post
I'm slowly stocking my 230g mixed reef. I also prefer smaller fish. I largely plan to have pairs, trios, and small groups. I already have a group of 6 threadfin (blue-eyed, or glass) cardinals which are fun. I'm trying to get a group of red spotted gobies (only about one inch.) Definitely planning an anthias group. I've also come to realize, mostly from posts on this forum, that some species are dismissed to quickly as over aggressive -- especially in a tank as large as ours. A number of people report good results with a small group of Chrysiptera damsels -- less aggressive than other damsels, and any aggression tends to be focused towards other members of their group. Same with a trio of orchid dotybacks, which are reported to be mellower than other dotys. I also have a pair of blue stripe pipefish which add some cool variety.
Some good suggestions. I was thinking of a few Longfin's and Pajama's as well.