Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/23/2017, 12:53 PM   #26
chitown tom
Registered Member

I run the classic apex. I have no plans to upgrade it to the new one as this one works great.

Now if I were in the market for a controller I would without second thought get the newest model.

Like others have stated why buy a product that is already outdated?

chitown tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2017, 09:01 PM   #27
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
^^^
lol, no I did not miss the point.
so the feature does not actually work (measure watts), so you just use it as on/off indicator to salvage the feature to justify the money paid. If it actually works to show the ACTUAL power usage, then I'd say there is real value to the feature. Like I said, the real well tested kill-a-watt can do it very well, so apex must be able to do it. It is not a technology issue, but a lack of engineering skill issue. They should just call it an "on/off" tester instead of current measurement.
So what does a well tested kill-a-watt get you in real world benefits? Yes, it can get you 'better' (for simplicity's sake) results. And then what?

Can you pull up a graph to see any fluctuations?

I guess you can install a video camera and have it pointed at the 1 kill-a-watt meter to record the reading through out the day.

Can you attach a flow meter to monitor the flow of the return pump you have attached to the kill-a-watt meter?

Sure you can install an aftermarket flow meter, then have an other video camera pointed at it so you can review the flow through the day and note any fluctuations.

Will that setup notify you that your return just sucked up a snail and it is blocking the flow? And because of that, your sump is slowly getting full?

Getting side tracked.

So the kill-a-watt is more 'accurate' (just for simplicity so we don't have to argue about power factors). Yay, you can see exactly what your return (or whatever) is drawing! Congratulations! Now what!?! Pull it and throw it into your drawer till the next time you want to check the power draw is my guess.

Having a constant reading and further more a log of the reading is loads more info and much more useful. Lets not mention the apparently useless function of using that reading to alert you or change the way your tank behaves.

Would love to hear your insights on this.

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2017, 09:15 PM   #28
vhuang168
Registered Member

As for problems with the salinity probe issues. It is almost always EMI interfering with the readings.

Not convinced!?!

Check out this graph.

It is a salinity graph that is obviously bouncing all over the place. Overlay it with the graph from a light that is turning on and off and you can definitely see the correlation. It is not the only correlation, the return and skimmer graphs also show the same.

How many complaints about the salinity probe have you read? I bet a fair amount.

How many of those people complaining have come back and told you they contacted Neptune and they fixed it? Probably very little. Not because that never happened, but because it got fixed. Very rarely do people post to tell others that something works as intended.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SaltEMI.jpg (31.3 KB, 42 views)

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is online now   Reply With Quote