Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2017, 01:53 AM   #101
maxwell
Registered Member

Hi
I have just got a frag which they say is WD , its still settling but you can see the under lying colors I have taken a pic under blues last night to see.I have adjusted the saturation of the image and would like opinions as to if its a WD.
Bill

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC3145.jpg (38.7 KB, 121 views)
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 02:24 PM   #102
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Been over a year since I got it. (Countless of frags gone.)
This is a pretty coral. It seems that most people keeping it are led users.
I may have struck a deal to get my hands on a small piece.
I'll put it up high and give it good flow but I have mainly mh/t5. My Ai Primes only come on in mornings and evenings for a few hours and not above 10%.
I am very curious to get this coral growing a bit to see what it does.
I have found that most tenuis corals really only start to shine once they have reached a couple inches in diameter.
Also, I have to say, the newer radions, especially the G4 pros have an led mix that does absolutely crazy things to the coloration of corals. It is stunningly beautiful but I'm not sure how natural it is.... then again, if all you have is led and you look at your corals that way everyday, then, that's how they look to you and that is your reality. That's fine.
I am so very tempted to change over to G4 pros.. maybe with t5 supplement.. try to find a middle ground..

Bill, I can't help you for the id.. tenuis are just too variable..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 05:02 PM   #103
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Bill - if it did not come with known, traceable lineage from the source, then it is not True WD. The people who sold it to you should have been able to provide this. It is a cool coral, nonetheless.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 05:30 PM   #104
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Bill - if it did not come with known, traceable lineage from the source, then it is not True WD. The people who sold it to you should have been able to provide this. It is a cool coral, nonetheless.
What/who is the source for the Walt Disney?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/13/2017, 06:18 PM   #105
Arringar
Registered Member

At the risk of drawing the ire of the "named coral" elites... why can't a beautiful coral just be a beautiful coral? Does it really need a pedigree?

Arringar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 06:49 PM   #106
Sand Dollar
Registered Member

Originator is Mike B. https://www.bigrcorals.com/collectio...enuis-acropora

It really is a spectacular piece and morphs into different colors depending upon placement. I actually run it under a combination of radiums, T5s and LEDs.

Sand Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 06:56 PM   #107
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arringar View Post
At the risk of drawing the ire of the "named coral" elites... why can't a beautiful coral just be a beautiful coral? Does it really need a pedigree?
No, and I agree... but they people who pay the big dollar want the pedigree before they shell out the cash.

Unread 08/13/2017, 07:44 PM   #108
reefmutt
Registered Member

The named coral thing is a double edged sword..
With the originals like Oregon tort or even older, the garf bonsai, pink lemonade.. it was a way of making sure you were getting the coral you had in your mind's eye- even if it didn't look right to begin with. You put it in your tank and you had specific expectations for what the coral was doing to do. And generally speaking, the coral did that.. no colour morphs or odd shapes.
Nowadays, it's pretty much a money grab and half the time, the same coral is called 3 different things depending on if it came from a low nutrient tank or high, or a system with heavy lighting or heavy element dosing..
the tenuis group of corals is a prime example. They can look so completely different depending on the type of water they are in..
So, if the Walt Disney is in fact a unique coral, the only way to know that you are getting what you paid for (regardless of what you are paying) is if there is linneage..
Collectors want a specific thing- and they are entitled to get what they pay for, if they want to pay that. Collectors are collectors- heck I'm one..
I'm certainly guilty of paying a lot for a coral- when I know what I want.
I've also paid next to nothing for some fantastic no names as well..
So, yes I agree a nice coral should be able to just be a nice coral but some should have lineage.. it's the just plain nice corals that get baked under crazy conditions and then photographed under crazier conditions that should just remain nice corals..and not be given
5 different names by 5 different suppliers....
It's a bit of a conundrum, really..
Look at me.. I've said I thought the WD was one of the most overrated and boring acros I've seen..... yet.. I just traded a pink matrix, orange passion and a nice no name I named furiosa (yep.. I'm right in there..) for a frag of Walt Disney..
.. and I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do in my tank.. as for lineage.. well, it's pretty tough up here in Canada to really get that. There's certainly some trust involved. Unless you are talking some of the classic RR corals which originated here.. but even RR has its own techniques for colouring up corals that may or may not keep once the corals hit a different tank...
Phew ha.. I'm tired now..

Unread 08/13/2017, 08:42 PM   #109
afernandez
Never Quit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
The named coral thing is a double edged sword..
With the originals like Oregon tort or even older, the garf bonsai, pink lemonade.. it was a way of making sure you were getting the coral you had in your mind's eye- even if it didn't look right to begin with. You put it in your tank and you had specific expectations for what the coral was doing to do. And generally speaking, the coral did that.. no colour morphs or odd shapes.
Nowadays, it's pretty much a money grab and half the time, the same coral is called 3 different things depending on if it came from a low nutrient tank or high, or a system with heavy lighting or heavy element dosing..
the tenuis group of corals is a prime example. They can look so completely different depending on the type of water they are in..
So, if the Walt Disney is in fact a unique coral, the only way to know that you are getting what you paid for (regardless of what you are paying) is if there is linneage..
Collectors want a specific thing- and they are entitled to get what they pay for, if they want to pay that. Collectors are collectors- heck I'm one..
I'm certainly guilty of paying a lot for a coral- when I know what I want.
I've also paid next to nothing for some fantastic no names as well..
So, yes I agree a nice coral should be able to just be a nice coral but some should have lineage.. it's the just plain nice corals that get baked under crazy conditions and then photographed under crazier conditions that should just remain nice corals..and not be given
5 different names by 5 different suppliers....
It's a bit of a conundrum, really..
Look at me.. I've said I thought the WD was one of the most overrated and boring acros I've seen..... yet.. I just traded a pink matrix, orange passion and a nice no name I named furiosa (yep.. I'm right in there..) for a frag of Walt Disney..
.. and I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do in my tank.. as for lineage.. well, it's pretty tough up here in Canada to really get that. There's certainly some trust involved. Unless you are talking some of the classic RR corals which originated here.. but even RR has its own techniques for colouring up corals that may or may not keep once the corals hit a different tank...
Phew ha.. I'm tired now..
Ahhhhhh I don't get it

Jk I 100% agree with you Matt ... I just dint want to write it lol

Current Tank Info: 120g Apex controller, (2) mp40w Es ,(3) Mp10W Es, Alfa vertex 170, 8 bulb ATI Dimable Sunpower,REEFOCTOPUS-BB-10000, Tunze Ato . 21G MINI-Reef, 250w MH, Mp10Wes
afernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 09:00 PM   #110
Mr V
Registered Member

No blue it is.

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 09:55 PM   #111
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
No blue it is.
Then why are the white feelers on your cleaner shrimp glowing blue..........

Seriously, all you guys with WD know exactly what we mean when we ask to see a real white balanced photo of your pieces. If you don't want post such an image i have no problem but don't keep posting ridiculous dusk lit pics claiming they are anything like a full 12-14K daylight color representation.

There's no argument the acro looks crazy stunning under blue lighting and if you like to run blue dusk like spectrum all day good for you. The vast majority of reef keepers do not run such a spectrum and they would just like to see what the acro will look like under a much more common light spectrum.

Unread 08/13/2017, 10:07 PM   #112
Mr V
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post

Wow. People are amazing.

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 10:11 PM   #113
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow. People are amazing.
So are white feelers that glow blue under no blue lighting...... that's what i call amazing !

Unread 08/13/2017, 10:24 PM   #114
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:

Seriously, all you guys with WD know exactly what we mean when we ask to see a real white balanced photo of your pieces. If you don't want post such an image i have no problem but don't keep posting ridiculous dusk lit pics claiming they are anything like a full 12-14K daylight color representation.

There's no argument the acro looks crazy stunning under blue lighting and if you like to run blue dusk like spectrum all day good for you. The vast majority of reef keepers do not run such a spectrum and they would just like to see what the acro will look like under a much more common light spectrum.
I'll put it under radium and take a picture sometime this week. Here is a blue shot

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 01:17 PM   #115
Ebn
Registered Member

Here are both sides of my lineaged Mike B. piece. Both my cleaners don't hang out on the Tonga that piece is mounted on so no pics for reference, but I run my LEDs extremely white throughout the length of the day (78% whites compared to 84% blues).

The shaded side

The lighted side

Unread 08/14/2017, 02:40 PM   #116
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebn View Post
Here are both sides of my lineaged Mike B. piece. Both my cleaners don't hang out on the Tonga that piece is mounted on so no pics for reference, but I run my LEDs extremely white throughout the length of the day (78% whites compared to 84% blues).

The shaded side

The lighted side
Very nice even with the whiter lighting, that'll be fantastic looking once it grows in.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 05:13 PM   #117
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

The photo in post #79 gets it pretty well too.

Unread 08/15/2017, 02:58 AM   #118
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Quote:

A lot of people, specifically LED users, do run 20k + spectrum in their tanks so its going to be natural for photos to come out blue. The lack of easy white balance features on camera phones are to blame too.

tmantaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 03:41 AM   #119
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmantaylor18 View Post
A lot of people, specifically LED users, do run 20k + spectrum in their tanks so its going to be natural for photos to come out blue. The lack of easy white balance features on camera phones are to blame too.
I don't have a problem whatsoever with the overly blue pics most of our cameras capture mate, and i understand the problems trying to white balance them. I don't disagree with what you are saying at all but that's not what i was addressing. If you post a 20k pic no one minds a bit, everything looks way nicer under all blues, that's why most post pics that way.
Just don't claim your 20k pic was taken with no blue lighting.........

To do so is giving people who are considering spending a great deal of money on a WD a bum steer as to what they will get for that money.

I do feel bad about upsetting Mr V because he's obviously very proud of his WD colony and wants to show it off at it's very prettiest, just as we all do when we have nice pieces.

Eric's pics and the similar but overexposed one by Gmerek2 look like pretty faithful representations of what most of us will see in person in our displays during the majority of the lighting period. I would buy it to see if it turned into something crazy if i saw it at my LFS.

Unread 08/15/2017, 04:05 AM   #120
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't have a problem whatsoever with the overly blue pics most of our cameras capture mate, and i understand the problems trying to white balance them. I don't disagree with what you are saying at all but that's not what i was addressing. If you post a 20k pic no one minds a bit, everything looks way nicer under all blues, that's why most post pics that way.
Just don't claim your 20k pic was taken with no blue lighting.........

To do so is giving people who are considering spending a great deal of money on a WD a bum steer as to what they will get for that money.

I do feel bad about upsetting Mr V because he's obviously very proud of his WD colony and wants to show it off at it's very prettiest, just as we all do when we have nice pieces.

Eric's pics and the similar but overexposed one by Gmerek2 look like pretty faithful representations of what most of us will see in person in our displays during the majority of the lighting period. I would buy it to see if it turned into something crazy if i saw it at my LFS.
I can pretty easily tell when a photo is under heavy blue lights but I agree that this can be problematic for people. I guess its more of a problem with vendors using these pics to sell the corals. The tricky ones for hobbyists are the close up shots with the blacked out backgrounds so you have no reference as to how blue the lighting is.

People claiming photos that appear blue are all photoshopped is another pet peeve of mine. The good photographers will actually use photoshop to color correct the photos haha.

Anyways I think I had to get some frustration out somewhere and I subconsciously knew you would be handle my nonsense.

tmantaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 04:26 AM   #121
Donreefer
Registered Member

they all look like great pieces

Donreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 12:21 PM   #122
edwardwilliams
Registered Member

nice pieces!

Current Tank Info: 120 gal reef
edwardwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 07:01 AM   #123
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ok. Here's an initial iPhone shot of my supposed WD.
This is in air, under a pair of t5 over my work sink.
I think the t5 are a pink and 20k bulb. I've warmed up the pic

I'll get some in tank shots a little later.

Last edited by reefmutt; 09/21/2017 at 07:54 AM.
Unread 08/19/2017, 01:36 PM   #124
Bulldog88
Registered Member

These all look great!!!

Bulldog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 01:51 PM   #125
nashorn
Registered Member

I brought a small frag a few months ago
Not too impressed with it yet
https://flic.kr/p/WXccfx