Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/08/2017, 02:57 PM   #9501
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
That sounds so insane, I don't even know how to answer it!! Pics or it didn't happen....I mean....pics or I can't understand it at all lol
ok. this is just a quick sketch, but it should be explanatory for now. I'll make it clearer later.

photo 1_zpsr59a5zqj.jpg

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 04:29 PM   #9502
aiber
Registered Member

Quote:
I didn't realize until I posted that - same post as above, different lamp. But, the issue is still the same, the intensity is still too high. Can you remove any of the lenses from that lamp?

Not sure. I could try. What would removing the lenses do? How would I go about doing that?

Again, I don't get it because I followed everything as documented. 12w on each side.

What if I get bulbs that are 6w? Would that work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 50 Gall. Cube Reef Tank
aiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 05:57 PM   #9503
karimwassef
Registered Member

Here's a better (more accurate) representation.

photo 1_zpsteccflu4.jpg

so,, if I add a sheet in the back and a source of bubbles at the bottom, can the surge function as a scrubber?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 06/08/2017, 10:35 PM   #9504
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiber View Post
Not sure. I could try. What would removing the lenses do? How would I go about doing that?

Again, I don't get it because I followed everything as documented. 12w on each side.

What if I get bulbs that are 6w? Would that work?
You are correct in saying that you followed the recommendations, but the issue is that it's hard to say how a specific fixture is going to perform in a specific system. Most of the time, there's not too many issues. For some reason, you are having many.

regarding removing the lenses, see this from my 5/24 post

Quote:
4) remove the lenses from the lamp (it goes without saying that this option will generally void any warranty). Most of these PAR type lamps have a bezel that is screwed on, when you remove the screws the lenses can be removed. This allows the LED light to spread out, and the intensity is less focused. The flipside of that is that now you have essentially widened the "cone" of intensity of the light right in front of the lamp, and this can cause the light to spread out a lot more. So your position you have them in now might actually end up being a bit too far away after removing the lenses, but moving the lamp closer means exposing the circuit board to salt spray (actually, removing the lenses does that too). You can cut a thin sheet of plastic (1/16" or 1/32" lexan from home depot works) into a circle and glue that to the outside of the bezel after you remove the lenses and out it back on, the bezel will block some of the now non-focused light, but you can move the lamp closer. Or you could fashion a clear cover to replace the bezel.
Taking the lenses off allows the light to spread, eliminating the hotspot you are getting. Alternatively, you might move the fixtures even further away. Or diffuse. I don't think you want a lower wattage fixture, that would cover less area and you could have a different problem. The one you got looks decent, right spectrum, it's just a bit too much right now

If you look closely at the pic in the amazon link you posted, you can see there is what looks like a retaining ring around the face of the fixture. I haven't seen one like this in person but it appears that you could pop this off and the shield would come off, and probably the lenses too. My guess is that they are not glued in, they will probably just fall off. So be careful, because you don't want to damage the dome of the LED by bumping into them.

Once you get the screen to fill in, and as long as you don't clean it too vigorously, you might be able to put the fixture back like you have it now (lenses in, proximity, etc). It's just that right now it's too much intensity, so nothing can grow. Once you get growth, it can sustain. But right now, it can't get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
so,, if I add a sheet in the back and a source of bubbles at the bottom, can the surge function as a scrubber?
I don't see why not, how fast will it fill up?

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 10:53 PM   #9505
karimwassef
Registered Member

I haven't run the math but I'd say 10-15mins to fill but once full, it should stay full. The vacuum is only offsetting the bubbles injected.

Unread 06/09/2017, 05:36 AM   #9506
aiber
Registered Member

You are correct, sir! Thank you so much. The ring came off very easily with a flat head screwdriver. Hopefully, this will promote some more growth. Pictures are below in case anyone else could benefit from this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170609_070430645.jpg (41.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170609_070534265.jpg (33.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170609_070928343.jpg (65.3 KB, 39 views)

Unread 06/09/2017, 08:03 AM   #9507
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Nice! If you're handy, what you could do now is cut a circle in some thin lexan (anything from Lowes/Home Depot should work) and put that back in it's place.

If if you can't get a nice clean circle, if you look close on the fins there are 4 points where it is prepped for a screw, so you could rough cut something and drill a few holes to line up with those points and screw it in, but it would probably be better to have the circle thing...though there is no seal in there anyways, so moisture could easily get to the PCB no matter what.

You could also just drill out the lenses but then you have no lenses for the future if you need it

Unread 06/09/2017, 08:40 AM   #9508
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's a better (more accurate) representation.

photo 1_zpsteccflu4.jpg

Let me add one more variable... this scrubber is effectively open to the DT, including predation. This is intentional since I recycle all my algae today through my herbivores (no export).

Questions:

1. Is it large enough to compete with the solar radiation on the DT? The DT open surface is 10' x 8' = 80 sqft horizontal. The scrubber is 8' x 2' = 16 sqft vertical. I can't add more light but I'm hoping the extra flow due to the bubbles flowing up and water flowing down will result in an effective scrubbing action.

2. I am planning on using the surge functionality and bubble curtain to control fish access. So, purging the scrubber would remove predators but would it hurt the algae mass? Basically, the algae "carpet" would be in a humid enclosed box with the sun beating down on it (maybe I do this at night).

3. When it's "feeding time", the bubbles stop and the tank is fully flooded creating safe passage. Since the tank is inverted, no detritus can accumulate. When feeding time is over, the tank is purged slowly allowing the fish to exit. Then bubbles restart to create the "bubble gate", and the chamber is slowly flooded again.

4. During surges, the bubbles are off but the tank fills up in 10minutes and then purges in 5 seconds. So the algae carpet may be exposed for up to 10minutes at a time. I can probably maintain a waterfall flow on the algae carpet (if needed or beneficial).

5. I don't plan on removing the screens (ever). So the tank will not be "serviceable". This concerns me. I don't think I'll need a scraper on the glass since the water purging should eliminate coralline & bacterial mass cant grow when it's exposed to air (in theory?). Making an airtight resealable tank 8ft up in the air is difficult. Any ideas on risk or better design options to this scrubber?

By the way, this can be done on a small scale too. I just happen to start big.

Unread 06/09/2017, 06:14 PM   #9509
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

I have a quick question for the experts, as I'm not too sure why this is happening. Set my ATS up just under a week ago, and I'm already seeing growth. However, I'm only seeing growth on the bottom half of the screen. Anyone have any ideas?
[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks! I'm hoping this will eradicate the little tufts of GHA I have left..

Unread 06/09/2017, 10:10 PM   #9510
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I had to tap the link in the email for that pic (doesn't show in tapatalk) and got a bunch of spammy pop ups about a virus, etc...seems like Photobucket has been hacked

Anyways that looks like photosaturation also. Pics of scrubber with lights on, off, etc? Need more info

Unread 06/10/2017, 03:47 PM   #9511
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Karim's idea will work basically. It might growth thicker dark brown turf, which can survive longer time out of the water.

Unread 06/10/2017, 04:14 PM   #9512
karimwassef
Registered Member

Thanks SM.
I'm thinking of adapting it for waterfall and upflow by having new water pumped in from above the sheet against the wall. Basically, it's an acrylic box that's exposed to sunlight with a sheet of algae. It can be flooded or dry or intermittently both. It can have bubbles or not.

Biggest worries (in order) are

1. Bacterial growth winning over algae.
2. Acrylic box misting over to block sunlight.
3. Acrylic box developing algae on inside to block sunlight.
4. Growing inedible macro.
5. Insufficient growth due to inadequate flow or bubbles.

By the way, one inspiration for this was my 12' protein skimmer where 2' in the middle got halide light, upflow of bubbles and downflow of water = algae chunk. Always figured my fish would go nuts over that stuff if they could get in there.

Unread 06/12/2017, 01:30 PM   #9513
Horace
Registered Member

Hey folks, Sorry I cant read 400 pages before asking

I am considering building a ATS, but was curious about changing up the design some.

How would it work to use a design like Floyd's, but instead of dripping from the top, filling the unit from the bottom and letting the water overflow out the ends (not the sides where the light is passing through). This would make this more of an upflow setup (but not using air like Santa Montica's design). It seems to me you would get more uniform water flow....and it would keep the algae suspended for better light penetration to the lower layers of algae as opposed to it just laying flat.

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 02:37 PM   #9514
karimwassef
Registered Member

Horace. You need air somewhere. How are you getting the air to water interface against the algae?

Unread 06/12/2017, 03:18 PM   #9515
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Horace. You need air somewhere. How are you getting the air to water interface against the algae?
Bah, I knew I was missing something! Didn't know about the algae growing faster with the added air interface (more co2). Certainly the algae would grow, but not nearly as well. Bummer!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Horace; 06/12/2017 at 03:36 PM.
Unread 06/13/2017, 10:33 AM   #9516
Horace
Registered Member

So assuming for a moment I continued with my current plan, and either fed air similar to the way Santa Montica does, or used a skimmer pump, do you think the bubbles (especially with a skimmer pump) would interfere with light penetration???

Unread 06/13/2017, 10:46 AM   #9517
Horace
Registered Member

Another design thought I have been considering is doing similar to what a fellow reefer here in Atlanta has done. He has a similar design to Floyd, but instead of dripping water from the center, he has two spray bars that spray the algae with several small streams of water instead (one on each side of the canvas). The advantage of this is it allows the center algae strip to be removed w/out disconnecting any water and it makes maintenance a breeze.

Where I am thinking of changing that up a bit more is to build laminar waterfall streams from both sides, rather than spray bars. I don't don't know if that will work any better/worse, but it sure would look cool :P. I think it may also limit splashing a bit.

For reference, this is a laminar waterfall (though mine would have to be substantially lower flow)

Unread 06/13/2017, 12:32 PM   #9518
karimwassef
Registered Member

I tried the laminar stream. Couldn't get it right. Post lots of pics if you try.

Bubbles disperse light but if an updraft ATS works in general, it should work for you too.

If I were to try a waterfall again, I'd create a lip and have water fill a small space behind it and then overflow the lip. No slots or holes or pipes.

Unread 06/13/2017, 01:09 PM   #9519
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
I tried the laminar stream. Couldn't get it right. Post lots of pics if you try.

Bubbles disperse light but if an updraft ATS works in general, it should work for you too.

If I were to try a waterfall again, I'd create a lip and have water fill a small space behind it and then overflow the lip. No slots or holes or pipes.
Yeah one way would be to have it flow down a V shaped glass panels, rather than shooting out via pressure by cutting a long narrow slit. I agree it will be challenging to get a perfect "slit" waterfall. If you look at how complex the inside of those Laminar jets are (hundreds of small straws, scrubber material, etc), that would be hard to do in this environment. The material would get clogged with garbage and need cleaning frequently etc. It would be far less maint to have a means to get a nice even waterflow over a lip like you mentioned.

However, the question is, is it really worth it? My buddy's spray bar(s) design works pretty damn well too, and is a very very simple/cheap design to build.

Unread 06/13/2017, 03:17 PM   #9520
karimwassef
Registered Member

perfection is the enemy of the good.

Unread 06/14/2017, 05:12 PM   #9521
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Quote:
2. Acrylic box misting over to block sunlight.
3. Acrylic box developing algae on inside to block sunlight.
If you use strings which can rub the acrylic, they will help wipe growth off of it.

Unread 06/17/2017, 10:34 AM   #9522
aiber
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice! If you're handy, what you could do now is cut a circle in some thin lexan (anything from Lowes/Home Depot should work) and put that back in it's place.

If if you can't get a nice clean circle, if you look close on the fins there are 4 points where it is prepped for a screw, so you could rough cut something and drill a few holes to line up with those points and screw it in, but it would probably be better to have the circle thing...though there is no seal in there anyways, so moisture could easily get to the PCB no matter what.

You could also just drill out the lenses but then you have no lenses for the future if you need it
I owe you a beer Turbo!!! Check the pictures below. You were right. Now the light is more spread out and the growth is more consistent. Very dark green with a little red. Is this good? Is this typical? I just added a couple of clowns so I am feeding more.

Any comments or advise is welcomed!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATS3.jpg (66.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg ATS4.jpg (71.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg ATS5.jpg (34.4 KB, 64 views)

Unread 06/17/2017, 12:32 PM   #9523
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Looks good!! happy to help, thanks for posting the "after" pics

Unread 06/21/2017, 05:38 PM   #9524
Horace
Registered Member

I'll give you 3 guesses what I'm building