Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/03/2017, 10:16 AM   #1
griffithimage
Registered Member

Tunze 5017

Hi, my tnze is using pure RO water, and the optical sensor doesn't seem to be reading when the water level goes low. If I pick up my sensor and move it around the pump will come on for a short time then turn off. Suggestions?

(the pump has been used for approximately 6 months)

griffithimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 10:22 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It sounds like a sensor issue and not a pump issue, after 6 months there is a fair probability of enough mineral deposits on the sensor to render it blind, a couple hours in vinegar followed by a wipe with a soft cloth should get it back to normal operation.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 10:32 AM   #3
griffithimage
Registered Member

thanks will try it

Unread 11/04/2017, 10:37 AM   #4
griffithimage
Registered Member

Hi, I soaked my sensor in vinegar for 3 hours and gave it a wipe- no improvement. The sensor seems to have a mind of its own- sometimes will work if a remove it from its bracket.

Unread 11/06/2017, 03:27 PM   #5
griffithimage
Registered Member

pump is now pumping water about the level of the sensor and the too high alarm is going off- sensor issue?

Unread 11/06/2017, 04:09 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

A dirty sensor will typically result in no fill, an overfill is usually due to bubbles accumulating on the sensor. Can you give me more background as to the age of the unit and size set up and with or without sump that it is being used on?

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 11/09/2017, 02:11 PM   #7
griffithimage
Registered Member

Hi, the unit is 6 years old but was only used for about 6 months (I just restarted my tank after a long layoff). It is being used in the return chamber of my sump but once it started malfunctioning, I tried in the other 2 compartments as well. I have had a combination of not coming on when the water was too low and also it has filled above the water line as well. I scared at this point to leave it unattended.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tunze.jpg (50.0 KB, 5 views)
Unread 11/09/2017, 03:40 PM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It could well be a bad optic sensor, it is a replaceable part. I don't do the repair service for Canada but Phil at Xenia should be able to do this repair, the part US is $28.80. If the pump is the original one, this can also be a problem area, they usually last 2-3 years and a long time sitting dry after being used could cause the seal to fail. Typically though a bad pump will not pump and after 10 minutes the too low red light comes on, if it is a constant green level light this is an optic sensor issue.

Unread 11/09/2017, 04:41 PM   #9
griffithimage
Registered Member

Thanks, do you have Phil's contact info?

Unread 11/10/2017, 09:54 AM   #10
rvitko
RC Sponsor

www.xeniainc.com

Unread 11/22/2017, 04:08 PM   #11
tlackey
Registered Member

Hi Roger, I have the original Osmolator, several years old and a few months ago after replacing the pump the 5017 controller stopped operating the pump. The level sensor works, the led comes on and usually if I tap on the controller the pump will start running. I thought it had to be the relay contacts so I ordered a couple and replaced it but it didn't correct the issue. Any ideas on this one? Thanks.

tlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 08:54 AM   #12
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Most likely if it is a pre 2009 production model the problem is the board 2008 and before was only designed for an 800mA pump load and the pumps starting in 2009 need about 1000mA as a second seal ring was added to increase durability. The only way an old controller can run a new pump is if the wiring and connectors are corrosion free, the power supply is the original which was switchable 9-12V and switched to 9V and the head pressure is higher, this will bring the load below 800mA. The PTC is overheating and causing the pump to shut off, it acts as a circuit breaker for pump overload protection. If this has happened many times the PTC or the transistor next to it could be damaged.

Unread 11/30/2017, 02:01 PM   #13
tlackey
Registered Member

Thanks Roger. I'll take a look at these suggestions, shotgun the PTC ( If I can identify it) and transistor. It is pre 2009 and has gone through a few pumps but been a great ATO for my 180 reef. Power supply is a Tunze 04151-110160 11V 1600ma.

tlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2017, 02:05 PM   #14
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It may work if it just had the original power supply, the power supply would have been replaced at some point as pre 2009 the power supplies were a big old fashioned wall wart with a switch and 9, 12V settings 800mA. 9V would be needed to get it running.