Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Kaos
"Lurker"

Question New Porcillapora expelling white mucus looking stuff...

I just got a Porcillapora in yesterday along w/ some Zoo's and a Chalice frag. The bag the Porcillapora was in had cloudy water in it and smelled a little worse then the other bags. It was producing a little white mucus looking stuff on the edges of the branches while in the bag. I slow drip acclimated it to my tank for 1.5-2hrs before adding it (and the other corals). Last night it continued to produce the mucus and this morning the whole thing is almost coated in the white mucus looking stuff.

Is this frag ok? Is there anything I should do or is this normal? I have it on the sandbed of my tank in the highest flow area I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2007, 08:55 AM   #2
InLimbo87
Registered Member

SPS do this a lot when stressed. Just minimize handling it, and let the flow take away the mucus. Should settle down shortly...

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
InLimbo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2007, 08:57 AM   #3
Kaos
"Lurker"

Quote:
Originally posted by InLimbo87
SPS do this a lot when stressed. Just minimize handling it, and let the flow take away the mucus. Should settle down shortly...
That's what I was hoping to hear. How long before this should settle down?

Kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2007, 09:01 AM   #4
InLimbo87
Registered Member

I bought a frag yesterday, and after drip acclimating it and putting it in the tank last nite, all the mucus is gone this morning. (About 15 hrs later). Obviously yours could be different based on a lot of factors, but I would think it would settle down within a day or so.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
InLimbo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2007, 09:07 AM   #5
usmc121581
Where am I?

YEsterday I also bougt 3 frags. One did it up till this morning the other 2 never did it. Just let the current clean it off. Just dont point a PH directly at it to clean it off faster. It could damage the tissue.

Current Tank Info: I have a 180 gal mostly LPS corals, it contains 1 Val. Tang, 1 yellow striped clown fish, 3 percula clownfish, a blood shrimp, cleaner shrimp and a sand shifting goby, 5 pajama cardinals, 1 green chromis. Also a 75 gal. sump/fug.
usmc121581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2007, 09:42 AM   #6
Kaos
"Lurker"

I probably should have mentioned that this coral took 2 days shipping to get to me. From what I've read that's kinda long for an SPS especially since our temps are peaking in the 60's right now (and 30's at night).

Unread 11/17/2007, 10:10 AM   #7
usmc121581
Where am I?

Yeah that is inda a long time, most things max time should be 48 hrs in a bag lie that.

Current Tank Info: I have a 180 gal mostly LPS corals, it contains 1 Val. Tang, 1 yellow striped clown fish, 3 percula clownfish, a blood shrimp, cleaner shrimp and a sand shifting goby, 5 pajama cardinals, 1 green chromis. Also a 75 gal. sump/fug.
usmc121581 is offline   Reply With Quote