Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2019, 08:19 PM   #1
Subillbo
Registered Member

2nd try refugium

Hey peeps.....
I've had my evo 13.5 going for 10 months now and everything has been running smoothly (knock on wood) I have 6 zoas, pulsing xenia,frog spawn, GSP and just added a small candy... all are frags, and are doing great.... I have 2 clowns and 2 shrimp, a cleaner and a peppermint (peppermint for some aiptasia and have destroyed them). So all is well... I tried to do a refugium in my center sump when I first got it but didn't have much success, so I scraped it..... I am trying again but with a better light.... I just bought the innovative marine cheato light and a small ball of cheato. Rlly want this mini refugium to work this time to take up some extra nutrients.... any advice would be great! How long should I keep light on? How often should I clean/trim cheato? And should I get copepods for the area because it's so small? I also have a small piece of live rock there also. Thanks as always!

"Hey... where do these stairs go?" "They go up!"
- Ghostbusters 1984

Current Tank Info: 16 gal
Subillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2019, 05:45 AM   #2
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

I have been running an algae scrubber in the center chamber for over 3 months with recognizable success. I initially tried cheato but pieces got into the display area and I am still pulling pieces of it out of the rocks. I switched to a vertical screen lit by a 12” 8 watt bar light laid up to the glass outside the chamber. A small air pump feed large bubbles to the screen base. My tank is an temp tank holding hurricane survivors, a large montipora, Duncan, and a 4” clown. My “test” screen is 1.5 x 11 inches and clean it every 9-12 days. NO3 and PO4 are 0 and 4 PPB respectively. No skimmer. A 100 micron filter screen made from a filter sock and plastic frame in chamber 1 and a Scicce 0.5 in the return. Working on an upgraded ATS with a slightly larger screen. Just having fun!

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2019, 08:20 AM   #3
hipertec
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusinjimbo View Post
I have been running an algae scrubber in the center chamber for over 3 months with recognizable success. I initially tried cheato but pieces got into the display area and I am still pulling pieces of it out of the rocks. I switched to a vertical screen lit by a 12” 8 watt bar light laid up to the glass outside the chamber. A small air pump feed large bubbles to the screen base. My tank is an temp tank holding hurricane survivors, a large montipora, Duncan, and a 4” clown. My “test” screen is 1.5 x 11 inches and clean it every 9-12 days. NO3 and PO4 are 0 and 4 PPB respectively. No skimmer. A 100 micron filter screen made from a filter sock and plastic frame in chamber 1 and a Scicce 0.5 in the return. Working on an upgraded ATS with a slightly larger screen. Just having fun!
Do you have a Pic you can post of the scrubber? Where did you get the light.. Link?

hipertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Subillbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusinjimbo View Post
That sounds great.... if I fail again at my refugium I will definitely give that a try.... Thanks

"Hey... where do these stairs go?" "They go up!"
- Ghostbusters 1984

Current Tank Info: 16 gal
Subillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2019, 05:53 AM   #5
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

Hi-wretch, I can’t post pics here. The light is from Expressons LTD and I have had 4 of them in uses for years on various scrubbers. Pic are difficult here but I’ll make an attempt.

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote