Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2018, 09:31 AM   #1
JohnDavis
Registered Member

Is my Sebae Anenome Dying?

I received this Sebae Anenome 2 days ago and its starting to shrivel up. Is this normal? This is my first anemone so I'm sure what to expect as the acclimate to a new tank. Thanks for any advice.

Water chemistry seems to be normal.

John

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sebae Anenome 1.jpg (60.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Sebae Anenome 2.jpg (44.2 KB, 73 views)
JohnDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2018, 12:37 PM   #2
WatDatThing
Registered Member

It would be easier to see with no blue light

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2018, 02:09 PM   #3
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Looks like a very unhappy anemone. If it’s been two days then something is off because (from my experience) my anemones attached themselves fairly fast after I introduced them into my tank, either rock or sand anemones.

Tell us more about your settings? Light, tank age, animals, and water presenters would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2018, 05:52 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

I agree natural light and more clear pic would really help us see what's up

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2018, 08:29 PM   #5
JohnDavis
Registered Member

I have a 65 Gallon tank that's about 4 months old. In the tank are 2 Clowns, 2 Cleaner Wrasse, 1 Diamond Goby, 4 Shrimp, snails and hermit crabs. I added the sebae anemone on Thursday.

Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia all 0; PH 8.2, Calcium 400, Salinity 1.025. The only thing that seems low is Magnesium at about 300.

Any thoughts on how to save this anemone? Thanks for any help!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sebae Anenome 3.jpg (54.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Sebae Anenome 4.jpg (54.0 KB, 41 views)
Unread 10/14/2018, 08:40 AM   #6
humphreyhh
Registered Member

If it’s healthy you can put it near rocks to help it get attached. Or dig a hole on the sandbed to let its foot touch the glass of the tank. It needs hard substance to attach. It can’t just attach to the surface of the sandbed.

If it’s not healthy all you can do might be the cipro treatment but I never done it before.

From the picture I think it doesn’t look unhealthy. The foot might have been slightly torn. In that case it will be hard to take care of it. I hope it will get better.

Unread 10/14/2018, 09:33 AM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

Big difference in pics, so now I can see you have a very bleached nem, and it is an H.crispa.

If it has not set it's foot yet, in sand snug up closer to rocks would be better placement.
It will want a lot of light once it regains health and color, but it may not tolerate as strong in it's present condition.

Best way to regain health and color would be squirt mysis towards it a couple times a week, it should begin to turn more of a beige color w/ possible hints of color highlights.

Your tank is on the newer side, we usually advise 6mo min for stability, but you may get lucky.

If your lighting is really strong you may want to shade over the nems area for a while till you see color coming back in.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 03:53 PM   #8
JohnDavis
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice! I moved it closer to the rocks and it really started looking better. But it seems to keep falling over and hasn't attached to the rocks. Should I leave it alone or keep moving it back to the rocks?

I've also been feeding it mysis every other day. Would low magnesium in my tank cause problems? Do you have a recommended supplement to increase the level. I can't get it over 300-400 in my tank. Thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sebae Anenome 5.jpg (67.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Sebae Anenome 6.jpg (66.3 KB, 36 views)
Unread 10/15/2018, 03:59 PM   #9
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Looked a little better than before. But I would not suggest to feed anemone when it’s not completely settled. As for why its still not attached I really can’t help much. I hope its foot is not torn. Did you check it?

Unread 10/15/2018, 04:36 PM   #10
JohnDavis
Registered Member

The foot looks fine. What exactly should I look for to determine if its torn?

Unread 10/15/2018, 04:37 PM   #11
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDavis View Post
The foot looks fine. What exactly should I look for to determine if its torn?

It should look round and smooth. If there is flesh hanging or scars showing then It’s torn.

Unread 10/16/2018, 12:37 PM   #12
pfan151
Registered Member

If you have any rocks that are kind of cup shaped or that have a crevice in them try placing it there. If it’s a crispa it will want to be in the rocks.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 07:23 PM   #13
JohnDavis
Registered Member

So, my Anenome seems to have found a spot in the corner of two rocks in my tank. He’s looms a lot better. My concern now is that I have a fire shrimp that will walk over him and pick at him. Will a fire shrimp hurt an Anenome?

Unread 10/16/2018, 07:24 PM   #14
JohnDavis
Registered Member

looks, not looms

Unread 10/16/2018, 07:31 PM   #15
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
So, my Anenome seems to have found a spot in the corner of two rocks in my tank. He’s looms a lot better. My concern now is that I have a fire shrimp that will walk over him and pick at him. Will a fire shrimp hurt an Anenome?

Shrimp and anemone (especially weaker ones such as btas, lta and crispa) can be troublesome together. My cleaner shrimp would harass my anemone badly if he is not fed first. I personally have no experience with fire shrimp. Though I would suggest separation until the anemone fully settles (but not definitely necessary. It depends on the seriousness of your situation). When it gets bigger and stronger it should be able to fend itself off from most of other animals.

Unread 10/17/2018, 06:41 AM   #16
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
What you are experiencing is exactly why I didnt go with any shrimp this time. I knew I wanted lps and a anemone and shrimp have a bad habit of stealing food right out of their mouths. I had a cleaner shrimp in the last and while he was very cool and friendly he would dig right into any lps or the anemone that had food.

As suggested if your going to feed try feeding the shrimp first to keep it occupied.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 09:01 PM   #17
JohnDavis
Registered Member

Update: 2 months later and my Sebae Anemone seems to have found it's spot and is looking really good.

I now have a couple of questions about getting a clownfish to host the anemone.

1) Is there certain types of clownfish that are more likely to host a Sebae Anemone?

2) Can I mix clownfish types (i.e. 1 Ocellaris and 1 True Percula)?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sebea Anenome 7.jpg (103.6 KB, 40 views)
Unread 12/19/2018, 10:01 PM   #18
tonysi
Registered Member

Leathery Sea Anemone
Heteractis crispa will host:

A. chrysopterus - Orange Fin Clownfish
A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish
A. melanopus - Red and Black Clownfish
A. percula - Percula Clownfish
A. perideraion - Pink Skunk Clownfish
A. polymnus - Saddleback Clownfish

tonysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 08:27 PM   #19
garygb
Registered Member

Your crispa is looking pretty good. It might darken up a bit with more time. The list tonysi gave is good. However, Fautin and Allen (authors of the field guide on anemone fish and their hosts) added percula to the list, when in fact, it's very possibly a mistake that percs are hosted by crispa--I've never seen a wild pic of a perc in a crispa.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote