Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/29/2018, 03:59 PM   #1
Schnertzel
Registered Member

Unhappy nem

I would love some help with my nem. Its a green bubble tip, and I've had it in my 65 gallon tank for about 7 months. It is surviving, but certainly not thriving. Here are the details of my setup:

Lighting: 36" Current USA Marine Orbit LED fixture, sitting on its legs on the top of the tank (approx 2" above surface of water)
White lights on from 9a-5p at 65%
Blue lights on from 7a-7p at 80%, and from 7p-10p at 20%

My water chemistry stays pretty consistent around (according to an API master test kit that has, admittedly, expired):
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Kh 9
Calcium 400-420
Phospate 0

I don't know if it is related, but I am battling hair algae in my tank. I know that means I probably have masked nitrate and phospate, but my RO/DI tests clean, I'm doing regular water changes and vacuuming out as much of the algae as I can.

A photo of the tank, and a close up of the nem are attached. The nem is located halfway up the tallest rock, which leans against the back of the tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0609.jpg (32.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0607.jpg (38.7 KB, 30 views)
Schnertzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2018, 04:30 PM   #2
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Is it shrinking? It looks very small.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2018, 04:41 PM   #3
Schnertzel
Registered Member

It is quite small. Perhaps 1.5" across and 2" tall? It was much larger when I purchased it, but it has never been very happy in my tank and has stayed small. Sometimes the fronds extend a bit further, but never like you'd expect from a nem.

Schnertzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2018, 09:10 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I am not familiar with your light but light is one of the most common causes for unhappy Nems. In a 65, you need to be pushing 165w min, say 200-300 ish PAR
Also, yes from the pic, you likely have a bit to much phosphate (lower this with GFO or LC) and nitrate a bit high (maybe dose NoPox) better at 2-5ppm in a mixed reef.

The nem uses light for its phosynthetic process creating sugars and amino acids for metabolic growth.

You don't mention feeding, this is beneficial once a week, just a squirt if Mysis if brine is fine.

Also make sure your salinity stays at 1.025-1.026, and temp 76-79, both these very important.

Maybe some of this will help you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Uncle99; 12/29/2018 at 09:24 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote