Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2019, 01:59 PM   #1
Aquaman101
Registered Member

Budget QT Tank Lighting - Help

I'm getting ready to get back into reefing after dinoflagellates knocked me out several years ago.

So, I'm committed to doing it right this time.

What's a good "budget" light to have over a 10 gallon QT tank that will support corals (lps and sps) for however long they are QT'd for?

Aquaman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 07:59 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Define "budget"...
AI Prime Hd $200?

Unread 02/13/2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I don't QT my corals but I do dip them in Revive (or similar) brush with toothbrush, inspect under magnification (especially any SPS) dip again, rinse twice and drop them in DT.

I only QT fish for as long as they require....an no longer....I have seen more fish die or get diease in overly long QT stays.

Example, last additions for me was a blue tang and yellow tang.
They were LFS bought (my LFS QT everything for a week in copper, then, another week without but in 1.020 salinity.
I put both on hold at the store to be picked up end of week...provided they still look good and eat.
Then I put them in my QT for another week...increased salinity 0.001 each day....then right to the DT.
I keep light low....just a 5 buck desk lamp works for me.

I see much of this min 30 day time limit. If I buy online, maybe that's best as we know nothing about care.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2019, 08:49 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

A black box LED, like a marsaqua, would be under 100$. You would have to turn the power way down, which is fine.

Another option would be a cheap T5 unit. Coralife sells a 2 bulb fixture that comes with 2 bulbs for 100$ on foster and smith.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote