Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2019, 07:28 PM   #1
Anemonee
Registered Member

protein skimmer pump question

So the pump on my protein skimmer is making a loud humming noise. Any clue what it could be?

It’s a SCA 301 and I’ve had it and it’s been running since November. Just developed this hum. It’s on egg crate at the moment and is under about 7inch of water.

Another odd question while I’m at it.. can I replace a protein skimmer pump with a regular pump or is it a special kind of pump?

Thanks for any feedback!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anemonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2019, 08:13 PM   #2
FishAndPhysics
Registered Member

1) I would pull out the pump and clean the impeller. What brand is the pump? Skimmer pumps are working in a truly terrible environment (mixed air and water) which is very corrosive to metal parts, and often the shaft is metal in larger skimmer pumps. I've had a large skimmer (Warner Marine, I think the brand is out of business now) with a rather pricey Sicce skimmer pump, and the pump only lasted 3 years. They certainly are not "lifetime" items, however 3 months is certainly a bit short!

2) I've never heard of SCA-301. However, I found it on amazon. Since the air line is entering the water flow before the pump, it is likely a needlewheel style skimmer. This means that the air is pulled into the water stream by the venturi effect, and then a specially modified impeller chops the bubbles up to increase surface area. This is in contrast to normal pump impellers, which instead look like a star (many flat fins joined to the central shaft). Therefore, they are not interchangeable with normal pumps. It is important to get a similarly sized pump, as the water level adjustment has a finite range and either too strong or too weak of a pump will result in the skimmer not working.

There are other styles of protein skimmers which use more traditional pumps, really inexpensive skimmers or very small units are often simple venturis, meaning the venturi is after the pump (no needlewheel chopping the bubbles); additionally there are jet skimmers (like the AquaC EV series) and in ye-olde times people used air-powered skimmers. But needlewheel skimmers are by far dominant in the 50g and up skimmers. Once you get to commercial skimmers other technologies are used, but that is beside the point.

Unread 02/14/2019, 10:25 PM   #3
ajoe
Registered Member

Likely a build up of Ca. I would take out the impeller and then soak both the pump and the impeller in 100% white vinegar for no less than 6 hours. Some people dilute he vinegar but it only adds to the length of time it takes to disolve the Ca. You can keep the used vinegar in a container and reuse for future needs. I make it a habit of doing this once every 6-8 weeks. As previously mentioned it is a really harsh environment and with all the water and air passing through 24/7 it will develop Ca deposits and start to propel slower and also heat up and possibly shut down as it is designed to. Just another chore for the hobby.

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 03:42 AM   #4
homer1475
Registered Member

It's the ottman pump, complete garbage. It will not shut down, it will likely burn up. lol

My 302 did the same thing after about 4 months. Then it would fail to start, or take it's sweet *** time with it rattling the whole time until the motor would finally start.

It did of course last 3 more years like that. Only when the impeller shaft broke did I replace it. Not a bad skimmer, just uses cheap Chinese knockoff pumps.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 06:59 AM   #5
Anemonee
Registered Member

Wow!! Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all your info!!

Well, I guess I know what I’m doing this weekend... pump cleaning! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anemonee is offline   Reply With Quote