Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/02/2012, 10:55 AM   #76
OrionN
Moved on

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2012, 03:57 PM   #77
schprock
Premium Member

Week 5. Gigantea walked to the base of my main rockwork. Hope the anemone doesn't get any ideas of climbing up to the sps level.
One of my anthias dissapeared. I have a nagging suspicion that the gigantea may have made a meal of the fish.
The smaller brown carpet is on the bottom left of the picture. The bigger blue anemone walked right on top of the brown carpet.
Minh, I didn't try cutting the tentacles off the brown carpet. Very small anemone and I didn't want to traumatize the anemone.
I am still feeding fairly regularly with frozen rods, krill, and mysis.

schprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2012, 06:32 PM   #78
OrionN
Moved on

I tried really hard but cannot see that brown anemone. Your blue Gigantea is doing well, looks great

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 10/29/2012, 08:15 PM   #79
schprock
Premium Member

My Blue Gigantea at week 9

Video from Waikiki Aquarium taken last week. This blue gigantea is about 3' across. Link to the video below - surprisingly lack of flow. There is a surge device(Carlson?), but even with the surge the anemone does not receive a lot of flow. Anemone seems to do well under this condition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kzF_3XaLnfs

Unread 10/29/2012, 09:47 PM   #80
OrionN
Moved on

schprock,
You are sure that it was a Gigantea? Certainly not a lot of flow for him. From the video, it could be a Haddoni. Not likely but possible.

Here is my other Gigantea. It changed from bleached yellow to darker yellow now with green tinted to it. It is a lot greener today than last week when it was kinda mustard yellow.

Unread 10/29/2012, 09:48 PM   #81
Rippinfrags
Registered Member

That looks to be an S. Hadonni in the video you linked, which would explain why it enjoys the lower flow.

Rippinfrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2012, 10:11 PM   #82
schprock
Premium Member

Yep, its a gigantea

Here is a bigger picture. For size reference, the scopas is an adult tang.

Unread 10/29/2012, 10:13 PM   #83
schprock
Premium Member

Both your giganteas are looking really good Minh. The small one I have turned a bit brown. The big blue one is still a bit bleached. Might try the zooxanthellae transfer if the bleached anemone does not improve.

Unread 10/30/2012, 04:40 AM   #84
OrionN
Moved on

Are those BTA all around him? How big is an adult Scopas tang form head to end of tail fin? When the surge fire, is there a lit of water flow over him?

I can see you small brown Gigantea in your last picture. He is also a little blue in that picture.

Unread 10/30/2012, 10:48 AM   #85
schprock
Premium Member

The scopas is about 4-5". When the surge kicks on, there are flow around other areas of the tank but not where the gigantea is located.

Yeah, you can see the small brown anemone in the background. He is pretty brown, just the lighting is blue. I can't figure out the white balance on the camera yet. It has an aquarium setting but still not enough to take out the blue.

Unread 11/01/2012, 11:38 AM   #86
OrionN
Moved on

Here is a picture of my Yellow/green Gigantea from today. She was having a war with my male H. malu so I have to but a wall between the two. You can see she really ravage the Xenia near by. Over all she is doing really well. With the rate she is growing, I will have to get her out of this 65 gal tank pretty soon.

Unread 11/02/2012, 12:22 AM   #87
reeferpueblo
Registered Member

I know just common carpet, But when i got her from lfs she was pure white and may be an inch. paid only 5.00 should have taken pics. but six months old and 8",pic is old she was about 6" cant get new pic she moved 2 the back after i took this pic camera shy i guess LOL. [IMG][/IMG]

reeferpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2012, 05:14 AM   #88
OrionN
Moved on

This is a S. tapetum the Maxi variety, not a S. gigantea. You are in a wrong place. There is a huge thread to show off all carpets but this is not it.

Unread 11/02/2012, 05:33 AM   #89
OrionN
Moved on

schprock,
How are you doing up there in NYC. Hope you, your wife (and your tank not as important) are all OK. Let us know.
A prayer for all those affected, and a special prayer to all those tanks that are affected by this storm.

Unread 11/02/2012, 04:24 PM   #90
schprock
Premium Member

Minh,
I am doing ok up here. A lot of people still don't have power. One of the best reef tank here(mgny) lost power and had to get rid of his livestock.
I have a DYI battery backup on one of the tunze 6055 that runs for about 2 days on battery. I have power and hot water that makes us luckier than most. Events like this makes me think of moving back to Texas when I get done up here.
Your anemone is looking great. All these years we have been trying to find a gigantea, now you hear more and more people having success keeping them. I wonder what changed - new source, better shipping method, better technology?

Unread 11/02/2012, 07:28 PM   #91
OrionN
Moved on

I am glad that you guys are OK

Unread 11/03/2012, 10:23 PM   #92
reeferpueblo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionn View Post
this is a s. Tapetum the maxi variety, not a s. Gigantea. You are in a wrong place. There is a huge thread to show off all carpets but this is not it.
so sorry!

reeferpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2012, 10:34 PM   #93
Gadgets
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by schprock View Post
My Blue Gigantea at week 9

Video from Waikiki Aquarium taken last week. This blue gigantea is about 3' across. Link to the video below - surprisingly lack of flow. There is a surge device(Carlson?), but even with the surge the anemone does not receive a lot of flow. Anemone seems to do well under this condition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kzF_3XaLnfs
AMAZING pair of clowns. Awesome nem too! Have more pics?

Gadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2012, 06:13 PM   #94
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferpueblo View Post
so sorry!
This is the thread I was looking for, an excellent thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=201498

Unread 11/07/2012, 05:26 PM   #95
joker205
Registered Member

Just and update on my gig it's not coloring up as fast as I hoped it would but its slowly getting there

joker205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2012, 04:04 PM   #96
RoastReef
Registered Member

Here's mine.

RoastReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2012, 04:11 PM   #97
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastReef View Post
Here's mine.

Looking good Matt! Looks like your patience paid off. Congrats!

Unread 11/10/2012, 06:50 PM   #98
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madean View Post
So is anybody keeping these nems under leds or is everyone pretty much t5 or mh?
I've had my blue Gig for about a year now and have had it under nothing but LED's. I feed it a couple times a week (salmon soaked in selcon or Brightwell's AminOmega). Its doing fabulous !!

now

Here is when i got it back in March

Last edited by cali9dub; 11/10/2012 at 07:20 PM.
cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2012, 07:02 PM   #99
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali9dub View Post
I've had my blue Gig for about a year now and have had it under nothing but LED's. I feed it a couple times a week (salmon soaked in selcon or Brightwell's AminOmega). Its doing fabulous !!
If you don't have picture of it here, then you don't have it.

Unread 11/10/2012, 07:03 PM   #100
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
If you don't have picture of it here, then you don't have it.
oh I have it.....

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote