Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2006, 12:39 PM   #1
sean04
Registered Member

Drilling holes in acrylic and pcv piping

Is there any special type of bits I should use to drill the holes on the back of my tank for the drain to the sump and return water?

Also how do you seal the hole so it will not leak once the pcv pipe is through it?

Does anyone have any links on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

sean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2006, 12:56 PM   #2
reign
Registered Member

Paddle bits are usually most widely used for acrylic...also many people use hole saw bits as well. you do not want use norm. bits cuz it will most likely crack acrylic especially anything 1/4" and under. if it is new acrylic it wil be soft and you should not have any worry about cracking it / older acrylic is usually very brittle so go slow and be careful.
I have an awesome adjustible ( 3 blade one center pilot)fly cutter bit that goes from 1" to 3" it is the best bit I have ever used I have drilled over 50 holes w/ it it has never cracked anyting and it came from sears years ago!

I hope you are aware of bullhead fittings that are made for that purpose they come in reg blk plastic(i think its abs or something similar) and sch 80 ( heavy duty). they have a gasket on them and are either slipxslip, slipxthread, fptxfpt the hole size is alot larger than the pvc pipe that you use ie for 1/2" bulkhead a 11/2, for 3/4" &1" bullhead a 13/4"hole so another words get your bulkheads first then drill a hole.... use either pipe tape for thread or pvc primer & cement for gluing

reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2006, 12:58 PM   #3
reign
Registered Member

duh bulkhead fittings sorry im not payin attention and eatin lunch :}

reign is offline   Reply With Quote