Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2006, 01:06 PM   #1
NoCarrier
Registered Member

Adding An Internal Overflow

I have a 90 gallon glass tank on which I'm currently using a CPR hang-on overflow. I am exploring the possibility of switching to an internal overflow. So, three questions:

1) Is there somewhere you can buy pre-made black acrylic overflows, either trapezoidal or square?

2) How is acrylic bonded to glass? I remember reading that silicone doesn't bond to acrylic.

3) In regards to drilling the glass tank, I read that you can't drill tempered glass. What are the chances that mine is tempered, and how can I find out?

NoCarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2006, 01:35 PM   #2
newnano
Registered Member

1)dont know
2)i would forget an acrylic overflow and just have a local glass shop cut a few pieces of glass for you and then silicone them together. that is what i did and it was easy and is very solid.
3) if you are talking about drilling the bottom of the tank it is more than likely tempered. find out who manufactured and go from there. i made a horizontal overflow and drilled the back instead. normally the sides are not tempered. also the horizontal overflow takes up MUCH less room in your tank

newnano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2006, 01:38 PM   #3
NoCarrier
Registered Member

How does a horizontal overflow work?

Unread 11/07/2006, 01:59 PM   #4
newnano
Registered Member

same way but the plumbing is just behind the tank instead of in a large overflow box that takes up tank space

http://www.wetwebmedia.com and then do a search on that website for horizontal overflow and you will find lots of info. there is also a thread on this website somewhere.

newnano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2006, 02:06 PM   #5
NewSchool04
Registered Member

Here are a couple pics of mine. It's in a 30 Cube with two 1" drains.
Click the picture for a larger view.

NewSchool04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2006, 02:08 PM   #6
RichConley
Registered Member

For the purposes of overflows, acrylic bonds to glass via silicone just fine. You'll break the tank before you get the overflow out.

Just make sure the silicon is between the glass and the acrylic... dont just smear it along the corners.

Unread 11/07/2006, 02:24 PM   #7
calvin415
Registered Member

PM me if you're interested in doing this... Here's one I did for someone else this week.

CAD Rendering

Finished Box

"The problem with America is stupidity. Why don't we just take the
safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself"

Current Tank Info: ADA 60-P

Last edited by calvin415; 11/07/2006 at 02:37 PM.
calvin415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2006, 03:27 PM   #8
NoCarrier
Registered Member

Great info. Thanks folks. I would ideally like to do a full-height overflow so that I can plumb through the bottom just to get the tank as close to the wall as possible. I'll have to see what I can find out about the tank (it was a hand-me-down) as to whether or not the bottom is tempered. If that's the case, I'm definitely going to go with a horizontal overflow.

Unread 11/07/2006, 03:44 PM   #9
sjm817
On Yer left!

The bottoms are often tempered. Sides, rarely.

Unread 11/07/2006, 03:46 PM   #10
manderx
Registered Member

if the tank is less than a few years old i'll bet anything the bottom is tempered.

here's one i made for my current tank. i like to make them a complete box with a backside so that you just pass the bulkhead through a hole in it to clamp itself to the glass rather than deal with silicone. trim the bulkhead length to fit and run it backwards.

http://www.foresters-inc.com/mander/face.jpg
http://www.foresters-inc.com/mander/profile.jpg
http://www.foresters-inc.com/mander/3x3.jpg

manderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2006, 04:00 PM   #11
NoCarrier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by manderx
[B]if the tank is less than a few years old i'll bet anything the bottom is tempered.

here's one i made for my current tank. i like to make them a complete box with a backside so that you just pass the bulkhead through a hole in it to clamp itself to the glass rather than deal with silicone. trim the bulkhead length to fit and run it backwards.
Looks slick. That's an interesting idea. Did you put the gasket between the overflow box and the back of the tank?

Unread 11/07/2006, 04:50 PM   #12
msp2673
Registered Member

This guy makes them:

www.wetdryfilter.com

Current Tank Info: 75g
msp2673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2006, 05:01 PM   #13
polaraligned
Registered Member

Here is a nice pre-made overflow.

http://barraquatic.com/overflows.php

Scott

polaraligned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2006, 05:21 PM   #14
joshuaroot
Registered Member

on my 120....

joshuaroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2006, 06:14 PM   #15
NoCarrier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joshuaroot
on my 120....
Nice work. I take it the extra plumbing on the outlets is for noise reduction. Is that Durso style?

Unread 11/07/2006, 07:14 PM   #16
joshuaroot
Registered Member

thanks, yeah it is i hope it works altight 4 me.

joshuaroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2006, 10:05 AM   #17
manderx
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks slick. That's an interesting idea. Did you put the gasket between the overflow box and the back of the tank?
nope, gasket goes between the outer glass and the flange. always on the flange whether it's wet or dry. because of this water could theoretically leak from between the glass/box into the box, then down the plumbing to the sump, draining the tank to the bottom edge of the bulkhead. but i've made several of these for several people and the box fits flush to the glass well enough that it doesn't do this (easpecially since it's up so close to the surface and not really under any pressure). though if you're worried, and extra gasket or just a dab of silicone would do the trick.

i'm personally not convinced the whole 'wide horizontal overflow' is worth the real estate or effort. theory is that it skims the dirtiest water (where the water surface acts like a pre-skimmer to aggregate junk), but i think that only matters in tanks with huge relative surface areas (like commercial grow-out trays) with low turnovers and undersized skimmers (again, commercial setups). anyway, if you surface skim at 1/2 the rate, that only just means that the water you are surface skimming is about twice as dirty, so it's really pretty much the same thing either way.

for noise reduction, there's no need for down-elbows inside the box. just have the plumbing angle upwards outside the tank just a little before venting and dropping down to the sump. i have mine angle up at ~30 degrees then loop down, though i think you do need to use 1.5" plumbing to pull this off. a friend tried it with 1" and he said it couldn't keep up. with mine i can dump a bucket right in without regard, plus the return pump going and it keeps up no problem. no clue what he was trying to push through it though. huge waste of space making the box big enough for elbows and/or being able to install/remove the bulkheads with the flange on the inside.

Unread 11/08/2006, 11:22 AM   #18
NoCarrier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by manderx
i have mine angle up at ~30 degrees then loop down, though i think you do need to use 1.5" plumbing to pull this off.
Is this with flexible plumbing? Thanks for all the details.

Unread 11/08/2006, 01:34 PM   #19
manderx
Registered Member

no, just a 90 degree elbow that is rotated on it's side a bit. then use a tee to vent and some sweep 90s and/or 45s to point down towards the sump. fiddle with the actual up angle so that the box stays mostly full of water, that way it doesn't suck any air, and water doesn't fall far into the box. i love 1.5" fittings, so many more choices over 1", and they move so much more water. plus if a snail ever does make it past your defenses into your plumbing it won't hurt anything, while just about any snail will restrict 1" enough to probably cause a flood.

Unread 11/09/2006, 09:06 AM   #20
murraycamp
Registered Member

manderx

Manderx, I need an overflow for a gravity fed refugium. I really like your concept. Do you have the bandwidth to make me one and what do you charge?

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 65 gal. E. Quadricolor/A. Barberi system (VCV/inoculant); 60 gal. gorgonian/mixed scleratinian (VCV/ inoculant/solid polymers); 30 gal. Oxymonacanthus longirostris/octocoral system (VCV/inoculant); 80 gal Acropora (Zeovit); 27 gal. jellyfish system
murraycamp is offline   Reply With Quote