Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/24/2006, 09:56 AM   #561
mfinn
Registered Member

Snarkys, you may be right about the specs being off, but I do know one thing from handling a bunch of different "thickness's"
the thicker the neodymium magnet is the holding force goes up dramaticly.

1" thick acrylic is a lot to get magnets to hold through.
I made a friend a magnet holder for a tunze. I used 2- 2"x2"x1/2" thick neodymium magnets inclosed in acrylic. It was used on 3/4" glass and just to keep the two pieces apart, I used 1" thick wood and it was still difficult to move them.

I asked several different engineer types I know about the stronger magnet affecting the smaller magnets in the powerheads and it was alll the same answers,mostly stuff I didn't understand, but what I did get was the magnets have a magnetic field around them and when they are close to each other the magnetic field is the same and won't affect each other.

I'm sure the Tunze people aren't going to make a magnet holder that's going to fubar a $400 powerhead.

Unread 08/24/2006, 10:00 AM   #562
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mfinn

Oh, the magnets I used had a pulling power in the 37 lb range. I can't remember exactly.

oops, I just checked, the magnets I used for this one have a holding power of 32lbs each. They were the 1"x3/8"

http://www.magnet4less.com/ND033.html

Unread 08/24/2006, 10:06 AM   #563
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:

I'm sure the Tunze people aren't going to make a magnet holder that's going to fubar a $400 powerhead.
ya i dont know anything about magnetic fields and how they effect each other but it was/is worth coinsidering .

BTW the tunze ones separate the magnets from the pump by good distance rather that gluing it directly on the back of the pump.

again i have no idea if that would effect the pumps operation or lifespan but its worth bringing up and considering.

Unread 08/24/2006, 10:11 AM   #564
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Snarkys, you may be right about the specs being off, but I do know one thing from handling a bunch of different "thickness's"
the thicker the neodymium magnet is the holding force goes up dramaticly.

ya the one that people were just talking about using is the same diameter, only 1/4" thick and has a big hole in the center but claims be almost twice as strong as the one you used.

and i agree , id go thicker before i went bigger around.

Unread 08/24/2006, 10:17 AM   #565
MJAnderson
Premium Member

Snarky the benefit of those magnets were the fact they were already epoxy coated and salt water safe. Hmmm...now I'm wondering if superglue will eat through the epoxy? Drat. I'll let you know in a week.

Unread 08/24/2006, 10:19 AM   #566
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by MJAnderson
Snarky the benefit of those magnets were the fact they were already epoxy coated and salt water safe. Hmmm...now I'm wondering if superglue will eat through the epoxy? Drat. I'll let you know in a week.
ya, I'm with ya do they make them any bigger that way ?

should be noted that because they are not encased in anything like the acrylic ones it wont need to be as powerful . like mine have about 1/8" of material holding them in on both sides so 1/4" farther apart which is substantial.

Unread 08/24/2006, 10:23 AM   #567
MJAnderson
Premium Member

sadly no. Couldn't get one googled either. I've seen people make their own epoxy covered magnets but that's a DIY project in itself.

Unread 08/24/2006, 10:25 AM   #568
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
sadly no. Couldn't get one googled either. I've seen people make their own epoxy covered magnets but that's a DIY project in itself.
would it be possible to just encase a normal magnet in silicone to make it reef safe

Unread 08/24/2006, 10:34 AM   #569
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Tunze or us could develop a magnet holder that won't negatively impact the motor or the impeller. It takes a calculator, extra time, and extra smarts. I have a calculator if anyone wants to borrow it. I'm sure Tunze took the interaction between the fields into consideration when they designed their holder. I think the best bet would be to either emulate their design or just try to place the magnet perfectly centered with respect to the magnet in the motor so at least it can't pull the field to one side or the other.

Many people have used magnet holders with no apparent problems. I am just extra concerned with the long term reliability of my units. I travel a lot and leaving the tank in my wife's or someone else's hands is always a little frightening. My wife, bless her heart, wouldn't even realize if the lights didn't come on unless I called and asked.

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
Unread 08/24/2006, 10:42 AM   #570
Johnbob
Reefer

Yes to the silicone encasement Snarkys, but I doubt it would hold up to the pressure of the magnet's attraction. I think that is why folks have gone to acrylic and epoxy. It should not be too difficult a DIY to put a layer of epoxy on the MJ body, let it set, then add the magnet and a form around the magnet to finish the sealing of the magnet in epoxy. I am thinking either duct tape or for a finer finish, a plastic strip held in place with duct tape to make a casting wall around the magnet...add the magnet and then pour epoxy over and around it. Should be a 1-2 day wait is all.

Current Tank Info: Display tank is 55 gal reef with 330W VHO, 120 lbs LR, ~40 species of soft and LPS corals, and with a breeding pair of tomato clowns, TurboFlotor 1000 skimmer with a Caulerpa refugium.
Unread 08/24/2006, 10:47 AM   #571
MJAnderson
Premium Member

Found it! OK, it's a bit of overkill but it is a sharp looking DIY that doesn't have you glueing thing permanently. Plus these seem much more flush than the Algae Free Magnet holders or sticking it on a cleaner magnet.

http://www.cawanee.com/magnetmounts/magnetmounts1.htm

Unread 08/24/2006, 10:56 AM   #572
mfinn
Registered Member

That's funny, I did that too about a year ago. That's the first time I played with the neodymium magnets.
Now those work great in that application, with no sound outside the tank.

Last edited by mfinn; 08/24/2006 at 11:28 AM.
Unread 08/24/2006, 11:52 AM   #573
Rothie
Registered Member.

It looks like that first magnet site is doubling the strength of the magnets assuming you would always use two of the same magnets together,which is very misleading.

Unread 08/24/2006, 12:47 PM   #574
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rothie
It looks like that first magnet site is doubling the strength of the magnets assuming you would always use two of the same magnets together,which is very misleading.

that's what i thought but this is how they describe pull force on thier site.

Quote:
Pull Force - The force required to pull a magnet free from a flat steel plate using force perpendicular to the surface. The limit of the holding power of a magnet. The pull force listed is actual data acquired by testing using our state-of-the-art force test stand. A comprehensive table of the pull force for all of our stock magnets is available here: Pull Force Table.

Unread 08/24/2006, 12:49 PM   #575
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

MFinn - That's a nice looking holder. Nice tank too!

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Unread 08/24/2006, 12:55 PM   #576
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Found it! OK, it's a bit of overkill but it is a sharp looking DIY that doesn't have you glueing thing permanently. Plus these seem much more flush than the Algae Free Magnet holders or sticking it on a cleaner magnet.

http://www.cawanee.com/magnetmounts/magnetmounts1.htm

that really is slick : )

how much is epoxy ? I only googeled one site but it was $24 for the two part epoxy. I'm curious if the finished product with magnets and shipping is much cheaper than just buying one of the algae free magnets. Guess it polly depends on how many you want to make. sure one order of the epoxy will make a handful of them.

http://jgreer.com/index.htm

Last edited by Snarkys; 08/24/2006 at 01:22 PM.
Unread 08/24/2006, 01:16 PM   #577
MSIBWP
Moved On

Without going through the 200+ pages of this thread, could someone give me a list of the links to where I can buy these mods? Unfortunately, I do not have the tools available to make my own.

Thanks!

Unread 08/24/2006, 01:24 PM   #578
Johnbob
Reefer

I like that link for the Seio DIY mount...and you can machine the thing any way you want...I wonder if you can get the casting resin in a dark gray or black color rather than the white. It is cool with the wingnuts MFinn, nice touch!

Current Tank Info: Display tank is 55 gal reef with 330W VHO, 120 lbs LR, ~40 species of soft and LPS corals, and with a breeding pair of tomato clowns, TurboFlotor 1000 skimmer with a Caulerpa refugium.
Unread 08/24/2006, 01:29 PM   #579
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

MSIBWP - go here - MJMods.com

Unread 08/24/2006, 02:30 PM   #580
scumonkey
Moved On

and here....
http://www.reefchili.com/Simple1.html

Closed Thread