Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 09/07/2006, 01:10 PM   #701
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

BTW here is there product description of this type of plastic

Quote:
Strong and stable, is a nonmetallic material with high dimensional stability and good tensile strength. It won't chip, flake, or disintegrate under compression loads, and and makes an excellent electrical insulator.
I will report back in a few weeks : )

BRSTV & 52 Weeks of Reefing
Unread 09/07/2006, 01:32 PM   #702
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

just as a FYI . i just took a 900 with a 1435 i knew was not working and threw two of these washers in there and now it works flawlessly so it must remove a significant amount of friction.

might have to try it with a 1200/octura1440 i have laying around that works if ya jump start it by bringing it to the surface .

Last edited by Snarkys; 09/07/2006 at 01:52 PM.
Unread 09/07/2006, 03:05 PM   #703
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Has anyone tried this with a MJ600? I have a spare one kicking around.

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
Unread 09/07/2006, 03:54 PM   #704
ejmeier
Registered Member

Dang, thats a pretty small washer. I was thinking more along the lines of matching the OD of the magnet. More surface area that way I guess.

Hub hobby (and a lot of online hobby places too) actually stocks teflon washers over with the boat propellers. There's only one size though, they're made by Prather I believe.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDS25&P=7

Current Tank Info: 30g plywood/starphire pentagon
Unread 09/07/2006, 06:59 PM   #705
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Snarky, I'm interested in this...where should I stick that washer? (hmmm... careful with the response, pal!)

Seriously, where does it go relative to the impeller assembly?

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
Unread 09/07/2006, 07:08 PM   #706
Frunkster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow
Snarky, I'm interested in this...where should I stick that washer? (hmmm... careful with the response, pal!)

Just behind the magnet between magnet & pump housing b4 the red end cap, & as HM has stated it does reduce the noise/vibration considerably, I always add a bearing but have found through experimenting that in fact 3 work best -

One glued each end & a slip washer between, also seems to stop them from wearing out.

Don't forget to allow for them b4 you fit a stopper though

HTH

Current Tank Info: 500gl+
Unread 09/07/2006, 09:24 PM   #707
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by ejmeier
Dang, thats a pretty small washer. I was thinking more along the lines of matching the OD of the magnet. More surface area that way I guess.

[/url]
the ID is perfect for the CB rod or SS rod and the OD is prefect for the small round part on the bottem of the magnet/impeller. i dont think going bigger would make any real difference because nothing would be resting on it

Unread 09/07/2006, 09:26 PM   #708
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow

ya right between the impeller and the red cap

Unread 09/07/2006, 09:29 PM   #709
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Frunkster

Don't forget to allow for them b4 you fit a stopper though

HTH

the ones i used today are paper thin, doubt you would have to worry about that .

Unread 09/08/2006, 09:05 AM   #710
newtophish
Elite Lounger

MJ mod DIY gurus, Could one of you fantastic people start a new thread with just the DIY steps and lessons learned. I have read through the entire thread and I am going back and forth trying to find information. I hope I am not the only one who this would help.
Thanx

Unread 09/09/2006, 09:27 AM   #711
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkys
just as a FYI . i just took a 900 with a 1435 i knew was not working and threw two of these washers in there and now it works flawlessly so it must remove a significant amount of friction.

might have to try it with a 1200/octura1440 i have laying around that works if ya jump start it by bringing it to the surface .
well i have to say i really like these Kapton (Polyimide) washers

the 900 with the 1435 that didn't work previously hasn't hiccuped even once in two days and today i tried the 1200 with the 1440 that i previously had to jump start, it now starts underwater right away every time.

guess we will have to see how long they last , they are extremely thin but seem to be very durable .

*EDIT* i also stuck new red and black caps on these.

for size reference , the center hole is the exact same size as the SS or CF rod.

Last edited by Snarkys; 09/09/2006 at 09:45 AM.
Unread 09/09/2006, 11:52 AM   #712
dhnguyen
Moved On

So for all the people who don't like that ratchety startup noise of the mod when the propeller hits the stopper, I think I may have a solution to this.

I was browsing around the net the other day and saw some rubber fan bolts. I thought why not use those as stoppers for the mod.

http://www.xoxide.com/sharkoon-pc-vi...ening-kit.html

They're stiff enough to stop the propeller yet soft and pliable enough that they won't damage the prop blade nor make any noise.

Heck... Ya could probably even use those rubber roller rods for curling hair Hmmm.....

http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/page183.html

Or these even
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...name=77&Page=1

Any thoughts?

Unread 09/09/2006, 02:02 PM   #713
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

i think that sounds like a fantastic idea : )

Unread 09/09/2006, 02:07 PM   #714
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Sounds good to me too.

I have a question - I cut power to my mods last night during feeding and for some reason neither restarted. Both appeared to be stuck. I've been running them for 2 months (+/-) without a hiccup. Plugging them in again and again did not solve the problem. I then jabbed the props with a plastic stick and they started up and ran just fine. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a solution? Everything looks OK with the shaft and shroud. Any ideas?

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
Unread 09/09/2006, 02:08 PM   #715
Barto
Alleged Lounge Moron

Soon, I am actually going to take the time to build a few, I've enjoyed following this thread for many moons.

It's been fun watching this mod evolve with so many folks thinking so far outside the box....
Awesome work!
Thanks!

AUGUST 2009 TOTM!

Current Tank Info: no more fish tanks, nothing, nada, gone!
Unread 09/09/2006, 05:08 PM   #716
dhnguyen
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by miwoodar
Sounds good to me too.

I have a question - I cut power to my mods last night during feeding and for some reason neither restarted. Both appeared to be stuck. I've been running them for 2 months (+/-) without a hiccup. Plugging them in again and again did not solve the problem. I then jabbed the props with a plastic stick and they started up and ran just fine. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a solution? Everything looks OK with the shaft and shroud. Any ideas?
Sounds like they needed a good cleaning. Calcium deposit buildup will cause the magnet to bind and stop like that. I give minea 30 minute vinegar bath every few months or so to prevent this condition.

D.

Unread 09/09/2006, 06:42 PM   #717
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Thanks. I'll try it and see what happens.

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Unread 09/10/2006, 02:38 PM   #718
spazz
Awaiting Email Confirmation

i like the idea of using the rubber bolts. i want to try these for the eheim pumps. the regular stoppers just shatter the carbon fiber tube i used to extend the impellor. i think the soft rubber will be alot softer stop forthe prop and wont shatter the carbon fiber tube or damage the props. great find dhnguyen!

Unread 09/10/2006, 05:51 PM   #719
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Hey - what do you know - a vinegar bath fixed them right up.

Unread 09/11/2006, 02:18 AM   #720
elfa
Registered Member

What about just put some silicone tube around the stopper. That should make it much softer.

Vidar

Current Tank Info: 930 liter cube
Closed Thread