Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2016, 10:08 PM   #1
Freds
Registered Member

Tunze 9012 microbubbles

I'm really trying to love this skimmer. I've had it for four or five weeks and it is just cranking out microbubbles. I've raised it as high as it can possibly be raised in my tank. I've tried lowering the water level. I've tried it with the air wide open as is recommended here, I've tried it with the air dialed way back as Tunze recommends on UK sites, (I'm in the US). Please see photo and video below. I'm not sure how to proceed in alleviating this. There's nothing funny being added to the tank. Literally no chemicals have been added to the tank other than salt mix. It is in a basement, there are no fumes or chemicals in the air or nearby. Please let me know how to proceed.

Here is a photo showing the skimmer's height in the tank:
https://goo.gl/photos/UgHMdGEm8Z6eXaXJ9

Again it is as high up as can be placed. The tank is an Aqueon 90 gallon. Here is a link showing the microbubbles:

https://youtu.be/K0gEq41z4fc

Freds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Griffter18
Registered Member

I'd be inclined to strip the skimmer and check nothing has become disconnected or blocked.

Griffter18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Darryl Hey
Registered Member

you need to take skimmer out and properly seat the two half of the skimmer tightly
the video shows it is not tight .
Also get in touch with Roger on this sight

Darryl Hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Freds
Registered Member

Ah, thanks Darryl. I knew something was wrong I just couldn't figure out what. I tried to take it out and field strip it to see what might be wrong. I couldn't find the "latch hook (2) of the skimmer panel" and didn't want to force anything.

Unread 05/08/2016, 09:58 PM   #5
Freds
Registered Member

Yeah I was hoping Roger would jump in here. I've read every 9012 post in the Tunze forum, both here and abroad as I had mentioned. The advice seems to be: Raise the skimmer, lower the water, make sure the pump didn't come loose in shipping.

I took the skimmer apart, couldn't even find a youtube video on how to take the front off. The directions are awful. For the next revision a photo of what the clips look like and where they're located would be awesome. It's a simple and ingenious design that looks as low maintenance as can be but if you need to take the cover off those directions aren't going to help.

In any event, I took it apart. Everything looked great, I wiped everything off and made sure everything was seated right. I started it back up and the side bubbles are definitely better but I'm getting microbubbles from the bottom now. My water line is halfway down the grill as is recommended. Updated video below. Am I supposed to PM Roger or does he check here?

Unread 05/09/2016, 08:43 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Try squeezing the two halves together firmly and raise the skimmer slightly, about 1/4", when the depth is spot on no bubbles will exit the top intake grate and a waterfall will form of water being pulled in.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Freds
Registered Member

Thanks Roger. I'll try lowering the water level a 1/4". It's as high as can be with the Aqueon frame. I may need the 6105.515 but can't seem to find them online (in stock). Any leads?

Fred

Unread 05/09/2016, 11:18 AM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

You can order the magnets on Tunze.com. I would try just lowering the water level to see if we are on the right track.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 05/09/2016, 11:19 AM   #9
Freds
Registered Member

Will do, thanks Roger.

Unread 05/09/2016, 04:22 PM   #10
Freds
Registered Member

I dropped the water level closer to a half inch. It is arguably worse but certainly no better. Only the bottom 1/2" of the grill in under water, the rest is above the water line.

Unread 05/10/2016, 09:29 AM   #11
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Something is off with how the front and back half fit together. I will make a video today of some things to check. If after that, we haven't solved it I will send a new body.

Unread 05/10/2016, 02:35 PM   #12
rvitko
RC Sponsor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cldgitxgRs

Unread 05/10/2016, 02:36 PM   #13
Freds
Registered Member

I'm getting "This video is private ".

Unread 05/10/2016, 02:42 PM   #14
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is still uploading, just wanted to link before I lost track of time today.

Unread 05/10/2016, 09:30 PM   #15
Freds
Registered Member

Thanks Roger, that video was very helpful. It varies a bit from the Instructions for Use manual. For what its worth mine does not open like that when you pull it apart. Perhaps it wouldn't but it feels like a tab might break. I do see some stress marks on the left side of the housing near where the tabs are. I also had a tough time getting the left side to fit back in, it seems the housing is narrower than the shroud. Getting the tabs to interlock was a bit tricky. I'd be happy to send this one back to you for you to look at.

I field stripped it again and reassembled (carefully) as per your instructions in the video. I did hear water sucking in the front when I started it back up but the bubbles are leaking out still. Video below:

Unread 05/11/2016, 10:02 AM   #16
rvitko
RC Sponsor

While sending it in would probably be the best as it would be a sure fix, I also am happy to send you the front and back half. From the video did you notice if your intermediate plate is the newer version with the interlocking tabs or the older version which is just flat at the bottom and top plate?

Unread 05/11/2016, 10:19 AM   #17
Freds
Registered Member

It's the new version. It's only a few weeks old. Sending me a new back and front would be awesome. Again I'm happy to return this front and back if you guys would like to see it. I'll pm you my info.

Unread 05/19/2016, 09:27 PM   #18
Freds
Registered Member

Just wanted to update this. The new body is nothing like the old in terms of fit and ease of opening and closing. Your intuition was right that something was wrong with the shroud. I put the new one on and not a single bubble came out of the sides. There were some micro bubbles (very few and very tiny) coming from the bottom but those have all just about subsided after a few days of running.

This skimmer is fantastic and I absolutely love it. Thank you for the great service!

Unread 05/20/2016, 08:23 AM   #19
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you!

Unread 04/06/2018, 06:10 AM   #20
etheris
Registered Member

Hi Roger,

I´ve been trying to solve my problem with microbubbles but not success, they emerge from the skimmer bottom...any help?? Thanks

etheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2018, 07:48 AM   #21
rvitko
RC Sponsor

On a 9012 that will usually be because it is submerged too deep and the air is closed off too much. Between 1/4 and 1/2 of the front intake should be submerged and the air should be closed as little as possible. As you restrict the air you increase the water flow and the faster moving water carries out more bubbles. There are other possibilities like organic/surfactant additives and strong flow near the skimmer but this is where I would start. Unplug it, open the air all the way, reposition it and plug it back in. Then work with depth first and do not overly restrict the air, it should not be more than a few turns closed.

Unread 04/06/2018, 03:36 PM   #22
etheris
Registered Member

Hi!! Thanks Roger!! I will try and let you know the outcome...
Regards from Spain!!

etheris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9012 micro bubbles