Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/06/2018, 04:09 AM   #1
Jess_W
Registered Member

Post Caulastrea coral -HELP

Hi,

I am doing my dissertation at the moment- working on a coral health index. I used Caulastrea and Pocillopora.
I noticed that when I removed the Caulastrea from the water, it expelled water and became less plump. I am struggling now to find a reference to back this theory up and was wondering if anyone knew the mechanism by which Caulastrea polyps became plump. I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Jess

Jess_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2018, 07:04 AM   #2
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Welcome to Reef Central Jess!

It is very common for the fleshy part of stony coral polyps to inflate and deflate. This is particularly noticeable with LPS (Large Polyp Scleractinia), versus SPS (Small Polyp Scleractinia) to which Caulastrea and Pocillopora belong, simply because of the larger polyps.

As far as the mechanism by which this happens, I don't know. All the polyps have mouths, so it could be as simple as oral ingestion / expulsion. The polyp flesh could also be allowing fluid diffusion across its membranes using a concentration gradient to motivate it, although likely more of an active pumping mechanism would be necessary in the opposite direction. Perhaps physical contraction of the polyp motivates water expulsion.

Good luck with the dissertation!

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 07:29 AM   #3
Jess_W
Registered Member

Thank you

Jess_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2018, 07:52 PM   #4
houshmanzilli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess_W View Post
Thank you

Jess, some research done in the past has led to temperature of the water had influence in this mechanism

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

houshmanzilli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble coral, caulastrea, polyp extension