Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Saleen87203
Registered Member

30 gallon cube as sump for new 60 gallon cube

Hi everyone,
I have permission from SWMBO to purchase a new 60 gallon cube. I was going to use my 30 gallon cube as the sump. Since I will be building the stand it should be no problem fitting it in.

My question has to do with sump chamber size. I was going to break the cube into four sections: Skimmer, refugium, return and top off. Is there any advantage to making some of the chambers larger than the others? For example, does it make sense to have the return section be smaller than the refugium? Is there optimal proportioning or do most people just wing it?

Thanks

Saleen87203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 12:21 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes, yes, no most people with the capacity/knowledge to do some math should not just wing it...

Size for the most part is dictated by what you intend to put into each section.. Size them at least to fit what you need..
Then yes things like a skimmer only need a chamber big enough for them to fit in.. A macro algae section you likely want as big as possible to allow sufficient space needed for the growth..
A return section obviously needs to fit the pump and its best to have it not run dry during startup..

Then there needs to be enough "overflow capacity" left in a sump to take the amount of water that WILL drain back into it when the power is off and the back siphon starts to occur..

Unread 04/18/2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Saleen87203
Registered Member

Sounds like a cardboard mock up is a good place to start.

Saleen87203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 12:52 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen87203 View Post
Sounds like a cardboard mock up is a good place to start.
Yep.. sounds like a plan..

Unread 04/18/2018, 02:50 PM   #5
reenact12321
Registered Member

Pro-tip: Work out what you need for equipment, and then make your return as big as possible, that way your margin for error is much larger from an top-off perspective. I made my return chamber very small and it will drop within about a day if ATO is not readily available.

reenact12321 is offline   Reply With Quote