Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2020, 05:50 PM   #1
Reef This
Premium Member

Low PH promote algae growth?

Is there anything written on this?

Can a low pH or Calc/Alk/Mag cause a bloom of diatom or dinos?

My dosing unit failed while i was away for my 2 week hitch at work. Came home, and I haven't had an algae bloom in months.

All other parameters are fine, but tank wasn't being dosed for the better part of 10 days or so. pH 7.7. Calcium was around 330. I didn't test Alk or Mag yet. I'm sure they are down though. Nitrate less than 5. Phos .03 (Pretty steady numbers for months now.). Salinity 1.025.

Tank is all out of whack. =(

Unread 09/24/2020, 08:23 PM   #2
djryan2000
Registered Member

Low PH promote algae growth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef This View Post

My dosing unit failed while i was away for my 2 week hitch at work. Came home, and I haven't had an algae bloom in months.

All other parameters are fine, but tank wasn't being dosed for the better part of 10 days or so. pH 7.7. Calcium was around 330. I didn't test Alk or Mag yet. I'm sure they are down though. Nitrate less than 5. Phos .03 (Pretty steady numbers for months now.). Salinity 1.025.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef This View Post

High pH slows down algae growth - algae is generally better suited for a lower pH environment.

If you’re interested in further reading -
https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitst...pdf?sequence=1

“Algal abundance is affected by pH. In one study when the pH was lowered from 6.6 to 5.0, algal abundance increased (Leavitt 1999). Because an increase in algal abundance was observed when lowering the pH, it can be expected that algal abundance should decrease when the pH is raised. Reduced growth was observed in a group of pH-tolerant algae when the pH exceeded 9.5 (Pendersen 2003).”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2020, 06:13 PM   #3
Timfish
Registered Member

Could be but it's more complicated than that. To start with the paper above is for freshwater algae and I myself would be very hesitant to draw a direct correlation to marine species. (Considering how many different species there are, there may in fact not be direct correlations to other freshwater species.) This paper for example found coraline algae was more adversly affected by temperature than reduced pH.

Personally I would start by looking at alkalinity. Corals are competing with other algae for carbon, nitrogen and phosphate. Inorganic carbon in the form of alkalinity is essential for both calcification and for corals symbiotic algae. Drops in alkalinity hamper corals in two ways making it harder to build their skeleton and impacting photosynthesis negatively affecting the amount of photosynthates (sugars) available to the coral for consumption. Reduced competetion from corals makes it much easier nuisance algae to prosper.

I would suggest going to scholar.google.com and searching reef coral, pH and algae to dig up papers on the subject.

Unread 09/26/2020, 02:32 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Low PH (Acidity) might have to do with rock or sand releasing phosphate bound up in it, and the phosphate could fuel an algae bloom.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote