Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2019, 12:01 PM   #1
Johnic
Registered Member

Is it worth buy a good light meter ?

Just installed new XR15coming off a T5/LED and want to bench mark and test the light as I tweak.
Is buy a Apogee Underwater Full Spectrum Quantum Meter MQ-510 worth the coin. Once the lights are setup and working well, is there a need for it anymore ?

Thoughts

75 Lee Mar Peninsula Tank, Reef Octo Elite 150, Custom Advanced Acrylic Sump, (2) MP40, Vectra M2 Main Pump, (2) XR15 Pro, Clear Water ATS CW-50, Alkatronic,GHL Doser 2.1, Apex Neptune El with Trident
Johnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 12:09 PM   #2
tdhnry
Registered Member

BRS has a rental option on the Apogee MQ-510 for $50 for two weeks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 125gal reef tank
tdhnry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 03:06 PM   #3
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnic View Post
Just installed new XR15coming off a T5/LED and want to bench mark and test the light as I tweak.

Is buy a Apogee Underwater Full Spectrum Quantum Meter MQ-510 worth the coin. Once the lights are setup and working well, is there a need for it anymore ?

Thoughts

I recently purchased the 210 during holiday sales. Based on BRS video I think it’s basically close enough in understanding my lighting. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 06:35 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

No IMO unless you are frequently changing light settings or intend to rent it out yourself.

Unread 01/20/2019, 06:36 PM   #5
Johnic
Registered Member

All good options...I’d still like to own my own...
How do you like the MQ-210 ?

75 Lee Mar Peninsula Tank, Reef Octo Elite 150, Custom Advanced Acrylic Sump, (2) MP40, Vectra M2 Main Pump, (2) XR15 Pro, Clear Water ATS CW-50, Alkatronic,GHL Doser 2.1, Apex Neptune El with Trident
Unread 01/20/2019, 06:43 PM   #6
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Quote:
All good options...I’d still like to own my own...
How do you like the MQ-210 ?

It was eye opening and educational how much PAR can be loss in 2”. I was only running 2 radions xr15 g4 on a 120. Purchased the meter and within a week purchased 2 more radions. Haven’t installed them yet. Will be interesting to see values with 4 radions. Also helps with EcoSmart live and intensity levels.

Unread 01/20/2019, 07:40 PM   #7
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlueSea View Post
It was eye opening and educational how much PAR can be loss in 2”. I was only running 2 radions xr15 g4 on a 120. Purchased the meter and within a week purchased 2 more radions. Haven’t installed them yet. Will be interesting to see values with 4 radions. Also helps with EcoSmart live and intensity levels.

Interesting. Looks like I might get the 210.
I have a 75 that’s 36x24x20 deep with 2 XR15 set to 40% intensity. It’s in acclimation mode now at 50% start.

Unread 01/20/2019, 10:32 PM   #8
ChronicReefH2o
Registered Member

The 210 is a great par meter, I currently own the older model and have to do the conversion which kind of sucks and takes up a lot of time. GL with the meter, I'm sure you will find it very useful.

ChronicReefH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 10:36 PM   #9
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicReefH2o View Post
The 210 is a great par meter, I currently own the older model and have to do the conversion which kind of sucks and takes up a lot of time. GL with the meter, I'm sure you will find it very useful.

So with the 210 no conversion is required ?

Unread 01/21/2019, 05:14 AM   #10
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Quote:
So with the 210 no conversion is required ?

Today’s model 210 are calibrated for conversion.

Unread 01/21/2019, 08:30 AM   #11
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Quote:
Interesting. Looks like I might get the 210.

I have a 75 that’s 36x24x20 deep with 2 XR15 set to 40% intensity. It’s in acclimation mode now at 50% start.

So without knowing what your PAR, what does knowing what EcoSmart live means for your corals?

Sure I watched YouTube videos and forum messages on EcoSmart settings but until I actually received the meter it really meant nothing. Had a number of LPS that we’re doing quite well. One acro, directly under one light was doing well, while the other side acro browned out. Once I had the meter I found out that the browned out acro had only about 180 but the acro that was doing relatively well was running 250. I have room to boost intensity on the dual radions but if I stayed with only 2. I’d have hot spots 7/8” deep.

That’s why I say it was educational

Unread 01/21/2019, 08:57 AM   #12
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I just bought a used Seneye Reef edition for $100 ($90 after ebay bucks), which has a PAR meter that was tested against the MQ-510 and found to be equivalent from a very thorough scientific reefer.

I've wanted a PAR meter forever, but couldn't justify the ~$300+. Now I didn't have to. I will have to figure out how to USB this to something, since I don't have my own laptop anymore, but I can use a work laptop, wife's laptop, or maybe they have something for android (though I think only via web interface that you need a laptop or their wifi bridget to use).

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 09:06 AM   #13
mattgumaer
Registered Member

IMO, running LEDs without a par meter is just guessing. Your eyes (or at least mine) are not a great judge of intensity. So much depends on the type of LED, the number of LEDs, the height of the LEDs, aquascaping, etc., that getting nice, even, appropriate par levels across a tank is difficult to do without a par meter. I think this is particularly true with 'point source' or 'puck' style LEDs where lighting levels can be very, very different in different parts of the tank.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 09:31 AM   #14
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgumaer View Post
IMO, running LEDs without a par meter is just guessing.
Even with them there is quite a bit of guessing still happening..

Its a tool.. It has "some" benefit.. Does it have a few hundred dollars worth of benefit.. Thats for each to decide..

Johnic seems to have made his mind up before even posting here

Unread 01/21/2019, 09:35 AM   #15
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Even with them there is quite a bit of guessing still happening..

Its a tool.. It has "some" benefit.. Does it have a few hundred dollars worth of benefit.. Thats for each to decide..

Johnic seems to have made his mind up before even posting here

Renting is still an option. $400 is a bit of coin for something used only a few times.

Unread 01/21/2019, 10:55 AM   #16
ReeferSutherlnd
Registered Member

225 shipped. Works great

ReeferSutherlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 11:39 AM   #17
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferSutherlnd View Post
225 shipped. Works great

Which model is that ?