Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2019, 01:31 PM   #1
bahamamike
Registered Member

Minimal Equipment Build

Hello. I believe this is the right place to ask these questions. I'm going to be living on the beach in Exuma. I want to have a tank with minimal equipment. Thinking I can do daily water changes with fresh ocean water. I know I need a chiller, circulation and lighting. Is this a pipe dream ? If so, could you please make suggestions of what else I might need to get by safely with minimal equipment. The tank will be 6'x2'x2'. Fish with live rock from the ocean, so anything that is alive on the rock as well. I have about 5 years reef experience with pretty good results, but with all the proper equipment. Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.

bahamamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 01:42 PM   #2
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

Internal filter for some carbon, think you can get away with fans instead of chiller.

Maybe a cheap light and I would still get a heater.

Definitely an ATO to make your life easier and a Refractometer and thermometer.

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 01:57 PM   #3
bahamamike
Registered Member

Thanks, so you're thinking a sump? Forgot about the heater. I want to keep it really clutter free. A chiller is a must, the temps really heat up in the summer. Even with ac running in house.

Unread 04/16/2019, 08:57 PM   #4
2000se
Registered Member

Are you certain that you will be able to do 'daily water changes from the ocean'?

I would answer yes for about 3 months, after that, I would get tired as heck doing that.

2000se is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 09:00 PM   #5
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000se View Post
Are you certain that you will be able to do 'daily water changes from the ocean'?

I would answer yes for about 3 months, after that, I would get tired as heck doing that.
My thoughts exactly.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 12:39 AM   #6
bshow24
Registered Member

Powerheads
Return Pump
Skimmer
Heater
Cooling Fan
Light (doesn't have to be crazy if it's fish only)
ATO (optional but obviously makes life easy)

I would throw a sump underneath to hide the equipment, also allows you to put in a large refugium area to grow chaeto and help with nutrient export. The reason I'd use a skimmer is because daily water changes can get a little hectic, even if you're literally next to the ocean. Plus, if you go out of town, you can keep up with everything.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 10:33 AM   #7
bahamamike
Registered Member

Thanks for more suggestions guys. I do or will literally live a few feet from the ocean. I was thinking of having a bulk head with a ball valve to drain out water and then just pump in fresh ocean water. I know it sounds simplistic, but I was hoping to be able to do it this way.
The most important thing to me is that which ever way I go that it supports a healthy tank. If it's a sump with equipment than so be it. I have been told about heat problems and mold, that is why I was thinking going the simple way.

Unread 04/19/2019, 07:09 AM   #8
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

If you really are a few feet from the sea, why not continuously pump in new water in? No filtration needed, so you could really simplify. Light, water movement and temp control-done!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2019, 07:47 AM   #9
bahamamike
Registered Member

That is exactly what my original plan was. I figured I would run it by the more experienced reefers here and didn't feel like anyone was jumping on the bandwagon. As long as daily water changes would be enough to keep a healthy tank I'm in. My original equipment list was: lights, water movement and a chiller. I forgot about the heater, for the winters when the temps get into the mid 60's. Thanks for your input.

Unread 04/19/2019, 07:53 AM   #10
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

With continuous input of new water, no water changes are needed-ever.

Unread 04/19/2019, 08:17 AM   #11
bahamamike
Registered Member

What do you think about 5% daily on a 180 gallon tank ? Over kill or am I in the ballpark ?

Unread 04/19/2019, 08:38 AM   #12
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

If you have continuous new water input, that IS your water change, so you NEVER have to manually do them. You have the rare opportunity to have an open system. Your overflow would drain to the sea, making IT essentially, your sump. Just set up your 'return' pump below the low tide mark and you're good. Make sure the pump can handle the head height - the vertical distance between the pump and the tank.

If you don't take advantage of this dream scenario, you can do all the manual water changes you want.

Unread 04/19/2019, 08:50 AM   #13
bahamamike
Registered Member

Oh wow, I didn't even think of that. That is a the way to go. Thank you for the brilliant idea.

Unread 04/19/2019, 09:38 AM   #14
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Glad I could help! Now I'm jealous!

Unread 04/19/2019, 02:00 PM   #15
bahamamike
Registered Member

I was thinking, could I use the incoming water for my water flow ? Make some kind of directional flow pipes or use bulk heads in different locations. Also, what kind of overflow device? Internal, external or maybe coast to coast. For a minimal equipment tank I hope I'm not getting to complicated. What do you think.

Unread 04/19/2019, 03:03 PM   #16
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You absolutely could use the incoming water for flow. You can't not. Overflow device is up to you. If your tank is glass and you don't want to drill it, then you're looking at a hang-on type. Those work fine but not as slick as a built-in version. Coast to coasts are great but you won't need it with an open system. External would be the least intrusive. Google Ghost Overflow. I've heard good things. Or build one yourself.

With an open system, you have the opportunity to go really simple. Since you say you want minimal equipment, I'd do just that. Whatever floats your boat!

Unread 04/19/2019, 03:43 PM   #17
bahamamike
Registered Member

Got it, thanks again.

Unread 04/19/2019, 04:03 PM   #18
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You're welcome. Enjoy your journey!

Unread 04/21/2019, 02:22 AM   #19
bigbpro916
Registered Member

I love the Exumas!!! Went there for my honeymoon. Definitely a gorgeous place to live.

bigbpro916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2019, 09:48 AM   #20
bahamamike
Registered Member

It's paradise. The water is incredible, the people are super friendly. Definitely a dream come true. As soon as the house I'm living in now sells, I'm out of the cold northeast. I might need help plumbing my tank, never pumped ocean water to a tank before. A little above my comfort level, keep an eye out for me looking for help.

Unread 04/22/2019, 10:13 AM   #21
2000se
Registered Member

Now you’re talking. Setup a small pump to input fresh ocean water. The constant source input will take care of water movement and control temperature. Build in the drain so it all runs back to the sea. Only needed is lights. I still don’t think you need a chiller. The sea is your heatsink. With continuous water coming and going from there.

2000se is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2019, 11:00 AM   #22
bahamamike
Registered Member

Now that you mention the constant flow of fresh ocean water, I agree that a chiller isn't needed. When a chiller was in the conversation It was without the constant flow of ocean water. I have to give credit to a fellow reefer a few replies back who suggested using the ocean water to solve my problems. Now I thank you for taking the chiller off the table.

Unread 04/22/2019, 11:12 AM   #23
bahamamike
Registered Member

By the way the average water temps around Exuma are 72-77 Jan.- May and then around 75-83 the last 7 months of the year. Does this seem like a reasonable spread for a wealthy system?

Unread 04/22/2019, 04:51 PM   #24
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

No problem with temps.
By the way - is this legal?

Unread 04/22/2019, 04:57 PM   #25
bahamamike
Registered Member

That is a great question. I'm going to have to look into it. I don't see why not, everything in the tank is coming from the same water.