Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2020, 09:39 PM   #1
Fiish
Registered Member

Naked QT tank questions

Hello everyone, I would like to ask for advice to install a naked quarantine tank, honestly I have done badly with these tanks, the last two fish I had in quarantine died, so I would love to clear my doubts, currently I only have a HOB filter, heater (in case it's necessary), and a lot of pvc, my doubts are the following:

-Filling the quarantine tank with water from my main tank will work? Or do you think this is the first mistake I'm making?
-What should I do if I have an increase in ammonia levels?
-Changing 25% of water weekly will work? Or should I change more water?
-My plan is to quarantine angels, and I want to use Paraguard only as a preventive and then only observe and make the fish strong through feeding for 2 months. I don't want to use copper if it's not necessary.

Unread 08/15/2020, 01:12 PM   #2
joseserrano
Registered Member

You should be fine with adding tank water. Why do you want to increase ammonia levels? Ammonia is very toxic for fish. With a QT i would base WC on if you need to solve something quickly. Typically the water is medicated and you would not want to take water out, because you would have to add more medication and stress the fish out. I would suggest you look into youtube for more guidance. You may be over thinking and causing more harm than good. Angels also need a decent sized tank, well depending on the angel.

joseserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseserrano View Post
You should be fine with adding tank water. Why do you want to increase ammonia levels? Ammonia is very toxic for fish. With a QT i would base WC on if you need to solve something quickly. Typically the water is medicated and you would not want to take water out, because you would have to add more medication and stress the fish out. I would suggest you look into youtube for more guidance. You may be over thinking and causing more harm than good. Angels also need a decent sized tank, well depending on the angel.
Hi, I'm not talking about adding ammonia, I'm asking what to do in case of ammonia spikes. I know these surges can show up in naked quarantine tanks. I only want to add paraguard to the tank for the first few days, and then I don't want to apply any medication unless it's necessary.

Unread 08/15/2020, 02:12 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Prime. You need a bottle of Prime. Available online. It detoxs ammonia and deals with chlorine and chloramine. And cleans your hands when you've been using Clorox.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Prime. You need a bottle of Prime. Available online. It detoxs ammonia and deals with chlorine and chloramine. And cleans your hands when you've been using Clorox.
Thank you, I just searched for product information. Are you suggesting that I add Prime with every water change? or only if an ammonia peak appears. When I install a naked quarantine tank, I add 60% of the water from the main tank and fill the rest with new water, is this a bad start?

Unread 08/15/2020, 06:05 PM   #6
joseserrano
Registered Member

What do you mean by naked tank? no live rock or biological filtration? Most QT tanks has some form of established bio filter.

joseserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2020, 06:47 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

Bare glass, a couple of pipe elbows for shelter for fish. You can run a qt tank with no established filter if you just keep it clean and keep it from cycling. I prefer it, because biofiltration in most small tanks is pretty puny. I'd peronally rather change out filter media, but it's a case of 'choice,' not 'the only way.'

Ammonia is the thing most to fear. And its presence indicates you don't have a cycled qt OR you don't have one and you're not changing the filter medium often enough. I find pillow-stuffing from, say, Jo Ann's, makes a nice cheap filter medium, tossable. As long as it's changed regularly and kept scrupulously clean, your water will be good. Relying on a 10 to 20 gallon tank's cycled strength is possible with care, but you do have to watch it---an ammonia test patch is a good idea. But if you're gone for most of the day and didn't check it that morning, that can be a problem.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 08/15/2020, 08:00 PM   #8
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseserrano View Post
What do you mean by naked tank? no live rock or biological filtration? Most QT tanks has some form of established bio filter.
I mean just a hob filter, thermostat and pvc to shelter the fish and nothing else.

Unread 08/15/2020, 08:04 PM   #9
Fiish
Registered Member

My other idea is to install two tanks of 30 or 40 gallons each, and connect them to a sump; take some rocks out of my main system and put them in the quarantine tanks with shelter for the fish supplying the pvc

Unread 08/15/2020, 09:16 PM   #10
Sk8r
RC Mod

Tanks that share a sump are the same tank. Also goes for your lfs tanks.

Unread 08/15/2020, 09:32 PM   #11
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Tanks that share a sump are the same tank. Also goes for your lfs tanks.
I know, but what worries me is the ammonia peak, if it appears to me, what should I do?
In your previous post, you mentioned that changing the filter material frequently would work. But how do I create a biological strain that allows me to deal with the levels?

Unread 08/15/2020, 09:37 PM   #12
Fiish
Registered Member

This happened the last time I tried a naked quarantine tank:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2702657

Unread 08/17/2020, 03:12 PM   #13
Hellsangelbx
Registered Member

Who has had the most success with QT Tanks. WOuld love to see what you came up with

Hellsangelbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2020, 05:06 PM   #14
Bruno3047
Registered Member

I run a sponge filter in my QT. The QT is always up and running. It’s a good idea to also have circulation in there with a powerhead and spray bar to keep the algae growth down. I’ve never had any luck with setting up my QT and then dismantling it when finished. Ammonia spikes always happened, in which case then, what’s the point? Also, I ALWAYS use DT water to fill the QT (100% water change and clean the sponge filter IN OLD TANK WATER ONLY) when I’m expecting to add a new specimen. And then of course replace the DT water with new water.

I tried to post a photo of my QT as I have a Flame Angel in there right now who I put in time-out for bad behavior. But I wasn’t able to do it. If I figure out what I’m doing wrong, I’ll post it to this thread.

Last edited by Bruno3047; 08/17/2020 at 06:02 PM.
Bruno3047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 10:18 AM   #15
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno3047 View Post
I run a sponge filter in my QT. The QT is always up and running. It’s a good idea to also have circulation in there with a powerhead and spray bar to keep the algae growth down. I’ve never had any luck with setting up my QT and then dismantling it when finished. Ammonia spikes always happened, in which case then, what’s the point? Also, I ALWAYS use DT water to fill the QT (100% water change and clean the sponge filter IN OLD TANK WATER ONLY) when I’m expecting to add a new specimen. And then of course replace the DT water with new water.

I tried to post a photo of my QT as I have a Flame Angel in there right now who I put in time-out for bad behavior. But I wasn’t able to do it. If I figure out what I’m doing wrong, I’ll post it to this thread.

If you can get the photo of your quarantine tank, it would be great. I had read about keeping a quarantine tank running all the time, I thought it's an excellent idea, I currently have a 30 gallon tank that has a 5 "DSB and a few pounds of rock taken from my main tank, and about 20 pounds of sand also from my main system, and that tank I am going to connect to a 120 Gallon system in a few months, but I started cycling a month ago, and I only have one Chromis scotti as an inhabitant. My point is that the last two quarantine tanks that I have had they have failed due to ammonia peaks (you can see the link I put in). These tanks have only had a hob filter, pvc and water, and although I have seen several successful quarantine tanks in this way, but I think putting some rocks or even some sand in my next QT tank would help minimize the danger of ammonia spikes.

Last edited by Fiish; 08/18/2020 at 10:25 AM.
Fiish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 01:26 PM   #16
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Absolutely put a rock or two and some sand (from your cycled display) in your QT. No ammonia issue. Problem solved. I also add a macro algae or two. Not only will sand, rocks and plants keep ammonia at bay, it will make your new fish a lot less traumatized from its trip around the world to your tank.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2020, 10:26 AM   #17
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Absolutely put a rock or two and some sand (from your cycled display) in your QT. No ammonia issue. Problem solved. I also add a macro algae or two. Not only will sand, rocks and plants keep ammonia at bay, it will make your new fish a lot less traumatized from its trip around the world to your tank.
Perfect, I think I'm going to use the rocks that I have in the 30 gallon tank, add a few more rocks from the main tank and some sand, and install it as soon as I get a chance.

Unread 01/12/2021, 12:46 PM   #18
Fiish
Registered Member

Hello again, I will most likely install a 50 gallon quarantine tank, I'm thinking of adding butterflies to my main tank and I definitely need a quarantine if I am to successfully keep these fish. I'm going to add biological material from the established tanks, I have a 30 gallon nano that I install for an multifasciatus or aurantia angelfish. And I'll also put up an ammonia alert clip and hiding places for the fish.
I only have doubts about the routine in the qt, I know that several use cupramine and prazi, sometimes up to two or three rounds, but I'm worried that cupramine is very aggressive, is it possible to replace it with paraguard? Besides prazi is there any other recommended medicine to combat internal parasites?

Unread 01/13/2021, 09:19 AM   #19
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsangelbx View Post
Who has had the most success with QT Tanks. WOuld love to see what you came up with
Im mainly a coral guy but sometimes do have some smallish fish to QT. Here is my set up...

6 Gallon Cube Tank
AC 30 HOB filter
100 watt heater
Kessil A80 Tuna Blue Light

Been using this set up for a couple of years and find it to be the cats meow. I do completely drain and kill off this tank and allow it to dry several days befor I put it into action again for the next new coral or fish.

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2021, 11:56 AM   #20
Fiish
Registered Member

I'm sure it is better to always run the QT tanks and not uninstall them.

Unread 01/13/2021, 01:11 PM   #21
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

"I'm sure it is better to always run the QT tanks and not uninstall them."

Not if you want to be absolutely sure your QT is free of pathogens. If you don't start out with a 'clean slate' you'll never be sure that your QT is not the source of the problem.

For example: Uronema. This parasite needs no fish host to survive. So if you've had it, you still do. Unless you sterilize. Uronema is more and more prevalent in the hobby, and it kills very fast.

Honestly, I felt the same way you do, until I watched fish after fish succumb and die. Having a stable QT with well established bacterial filtration sounds ideal, but that is not the priority for QT. You can add sand, rocks, PVC and macro algae to help lower stress and ammonia, but once treatment is over, toss all but the PVC, which you can sterilize. Bleach sterilize everything wet.

Unread 01/13/2021, 06:08 PM   #22
Fiish
Registered Member

Excellent answer, so it suggests that I dispose of all the biological material that I added to the qt and put in new when another fish enters a new treatment, does not it?
What do you think about using paraguard instead of cupramine?

Unread 01/13/2021, 06:35 PM   #23
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

"Excellent answer, so it suggests that I dispose of all the biological material that I added to the qt and put in new when another fish enters a new treatment, does not it?"

Yes it does.

"What do you think about using paraguard instead of cupramine?"

I'm not familiar with those products, but I think they are copper, right? In my opinion, copper is too dangerous and I use hypo salinity. Tank transfer method is maybe better. I haven't tried it.

Unread 01/13/2021, 07:15 PM   #24
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

I kill off my QT tank everytime I am finished using it for a coral or fish for all of the reasons Michael Hoaster mentioned previously.

By kill off I drain the tank and allow everything to dry out after a good thorough rinsing and cleaning before using again. When I need to set it up again, I do a water change on my established tanks and power up things again for the next victim to do their time in the "SHU". At this point my main over riding goal is to not introduce pest to my main display tanks. Everything else is secondary and there are ways to deal with any other issues.

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2021, 11:03 PM   #25
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
"Excellent answer, so it suggests that I dispose of all the biological material that I added to the qt and put in new when another fish enters a new treatment, does not it?"

Yes it does.

"What do you think about using paraguard instead of cupramine?"

I'm not familiar with those products, but I think they are copper, right? In my opinion, copper is too dangerous and I use hypo salinity. Tank transfer method is maybe better. I haven't tried it.
Well, doing a quick search I find that Paraguard is aldehyde based, and supposedly not as aggressive as copper (Cupramine) so I'm opting to use Paraguard. What do you use to treat internal parasites with your fish in qt?