Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2020, 07:22 AM   #1
thommyboy12183
Registered Member

Question on preserving live rock

Hi All,

This is sad to say but my tank crashed a few weeks ago and I don’t have the time or money for that matter to put everything back together... with that I was curious what I would need to do to dry and save my live rock for the future if I want to start up a tank again.

The tank and stand are an easy clean and put in attic but the rock I just have no clue how to go about saving in if it’s even possible.

Thank you,
Tom

thommyboy12183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2020, 08:15 AM   #2
trembz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommyboy12183 View Post
Hi All,

This is sad to say but my tank crashed a few weeks ago and I don’t have the time or money for that matter to put everything back together... with that I was curious what I would need to do to dry and save my live rock for the future if I want to start up a tank again.

The tank and stand are an easy clean and put in attic but the rock I just have no clue how to go about saving in if it’s even possible.

Thank you,

Tom
You can either rinse it all off and lay it all out to dry (ideally in the sun) then keep it in either a styrofoam container or just a rubbermaid container

Or

You can keep it alive by simple keeping a rubbermaid with some salt water (enough to submerge the rock) with a pump and a heater

Again you'll only wanna do the second option depending on what caused your crash.
Hope this helps and sorry about your loss.
I just lost 75% of my fish to a velvet outbreak last month so I know how much it blows.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

trembz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2020, 12:03 PM   #3
thommyboy12183
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trembz View Post
You can either rinse it all off and lay it all out to dry (ideally in the sun) then keep it in either a styrofoam container or just a rubbermaid container

Or

You can keep it alive by simple keeping a rubbermaid with some salt water (enough to submerge the rock) with a pump and a heater

Again you'll only wanna do the second option depending on what caused your crash.
Hope this helps and sorry about your loss.
I just lost 75% of my fish to a velvet outbreak last month so I know how much it blows.

Thanks for your help and sorry for your lose. I had my tank going for 5 years and about a month ago I added a fish. I don’t have a quarantine tank and when I got him I knew something was up but because the tank was so good I didn’t go with my gut and about 1.5 weeks later the fish came down with icy and took out my whole tank minus my wrasse and inverts.

I am not planning on adding anything and watching the wrasse and see how things go for a few weeks but if the wrasse dies I think I’ll be taking the tank down donating the urchin, snails, crabs etc. drying the rock and storing the tank and rock in my attic u til the rug hits again.

thommyboy12183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2020, 12:33 PM   #4
trembz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommyboy12183 View Post
Thanks for your help and sorry for your lose. I had my tank going for 5 years and about a month ago I added a fish. I don’t have a quarantine tank and when I got him I knew something was up but because the tank was so good I didn’t go with my gut and about 1.5 weeks later the fish came down with icy and took out my whole tank minus my wrasse and inverts.

I am not planning on adding anything and watching the wrasse and see how things go for a few weeks but if the wrasse dies I think I’ll be taking the tank down donating the urchin, snails, crabs etc. drying the rock and storing the tank and rock in my attic u til the rug hits again.
Same here... 5 years almost to the day, I moved, added a fish a few days after without qt (foolish me) then a month later all hell broke loose .. believe it or not the only survivors are all my original tangs

trembz is offline   Reply With Quote