Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2017, 01:31 PM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

How to get live pods from turf scrubber to DT

Do they migrate or do I have to physically catch and release them to DT? I had my scrubber running for over five years and recently added a mandarin dragnet (second attempt) who is now getting thinner. I thought having a algae scrubber would maintain their foods? What am I doing wrong here?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 01:42 PM   #2
sde1500
Registered Member

I'm sure they'd move around on their own. Might not hurt to maybe swish the algae around in the DT after you harvest it, rinse the pods out, if you can do it without releasing too much of the algae.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 03:40 PM   #3
Mishri
Registered Member

you wont get a lot of pods from your algae in the sump to your DT.. not enough to keep it fed IMO.. You would know you have enough pods in your DT to keep a mandarin fed if you see them crawling all over the place when you feed. That's how my 40 gallon tank is.. it's a pod factory.. i can stick my hand in the algae and my hand comes out covered in pods. which i can then transfer to the display... and you'd need to do this a few times a day to keep a mandarin fed.

Better to have pods growing in your display tank, an area where fish can't get to they'll eat all sorts of stuff, including flake food.. mine go nuts when I feed flake food. kind of funny seeing these tiny pods chasing flakes around the tank (no fish in it).

Unread 05/10/2017, 03:43 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyetman View Post
I thought having a algae scrubber would maintain their foods? What am I doing wrong here?
You believed that an algae scrubber would maintain the food level...
While it can certainly help (depending on the specifics of the ATS) its not an easy button..

Unread 05/10/2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishri View Post
you wont get a lot of pods from your algae in the sump to your DT.. not enough to keep it fed IMO.. You would know you have enough pods in your DT to keep a mandarin fed if you see them crawling all over the place when you feed. That's how my 40 gallon tank is.. it's a pod factory.. i can stick my hand in the algae and my hand comes out covered in pods. which i can then transfer to the display... and you'd need to do this a few times a day to keep a mandarin fed.

Better to have pods growing in your display tank, an area where fish can't get to they'll eat all sorts of stuff, including flake food.. mine go nuts when I feed flake food. kind of funny seeing these tiny pods chasing flakes around the tank (no fish in it).
So how do I populate the pods in my scrubber don't seem to have many? Do i put flake food on the screen?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae scrubber, live pods, mandarin dragonet