Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2016, 01:07 AM   #26
avoidtheboyd
Registered Member

Awesome tank man. Looking forward to seeing more progress

avoidtheboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 01:39 AM   #27
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Wow! Following

JaySchulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 04:26 AM   #28
EagleI
Registered Member

Quite the tank! I noticed there isn't all too much above the tank - what is your lighting plan for this deep tank?

EagleI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 06:20 AM   #29
sixpackgarage
reef mechanic

wow, sweet. Those swing out service platforms are fantastic. Also, the floor choice looks good with the tank.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523500

Current Tank Info: DSA NEO 65G reef powered by Kessil

Last edited by sixpackgarage; 02/03/2016 at 06:28 AM.
sixpackgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 08:08 AM   #30
nivram
Registered Member

Subscribed!

Have you decided on what your plans for equipment are for this behemoth?

nivram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 08:41 AM   #31
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Tagging along here! Definitely a dream build for any one of us lol

G_Sanab922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 09:26 AM   #32
Manfredo
Registered Member

Wow! tagging along for this one

Manfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 09:54 AM   #33
DannyDJD
Registered Member

Thanks so much everyone, the praise and words of encouragement are appreciated. I have a ton more pictures that I am going to try and post today, as the tank is already setup and cycled. As far as equipment, the basic list is as follows:

Return pump - Reeflo Hammerhead

Accessories pump - Reeflo Dart Gold (feeds manifold(s) running 2 x large Bashsea reactors for Carbon and GFO, chiller, frag tank, and eventually UV)

Closed loop system - 2 x Waveline DC 12000

Rock - combination 500lbs Marco dry rock (base and shelf) and Peter's private stash of dry rock (some amazing pieces)

Skimmer - Custom Bashsea twisted skimmer run with Waveline DC 12000

Nitrate/BioTower reactor - Custom Bashsea 12" x 48" run with Waveline DC 12000

Sump - Custom Bashsea (approximately 120 gallons)

Refugium - Myton Industries poly container (approximately 100 gallons) with Marco dry rock and cheato

Lighting - 2 x Ushio 400watt 14k in Lumenbright (large) reflectors and an 8 bulb 24" T5 fixture (just ordered ATI Coral Plus bulbs to mimic 14/15k) in between halides

Frag system - approximately 25 gallons plumbed to main system using (currently) 120 watt "China box" LED fixture. Planning on swapping for a 175 or 250 watt 14k halide or T5's

Water change station - 250 gallon vertical storage tank from Tank Depot, and we're in the process of installing an Iwaki pump (1170gph) to mix/circulate salt

Auto water change - I am ordering a Stenner 170 gpd dual head pump to setup an auto water change of about 5-7 gallons per day.

RODI - Bulk Reef supply Universal 6 stage water saver plus setup to 3 distinct locations with valvage: sump, QT tank, and water storage container.

Salt - Currently using SeaChem reef salt mix

Doser - Bubble Magus TM11 complete dosing system and planning to use ME Coral additives

Chiller - Universal Marine Industries titanium heat exchanger with split system 1.5hp Amana AC condenser located outdoors. Uses Ranco commercial Temp controller.

QT system - 65 gallon with MarineLand HOB 400 (rated for 90 gallons). Planning on quarantining everything that goes in 2-4 weeks and dosing Cupramine and anything else required. Weekly (or as needed) water changes planned.

Ventilation - 300cfm inline fan mounted to ceiling directly behind display tank, vented into main exhaust duct going out roof.

Test kits - All Salifert and a few Hanna Checkers

There's probably more I'm forgetting, but I'm sure the pictures will give more details. I'll try and post today!!!

DannyDJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 10:11 AM   #34
biecacka
Registered Member

Is the tank drilled for the closed loop?
Are you only putting 2 halides on the tank plus 8 bulbs of T5?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 10:14 AM   #35
I take Cars
Registered Member

awesome!!!

I take Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 10:17 AM   #36
CHSUB
"Certified Hobby Expert"

wow!!!! you had me with the lighting!!!! great choice, i also use 400w 14k MH and t5's. could you tell more about the denitrator, what kind of media?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110638
CHSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 10:21 AM   #37
nvy
Registered Member

wow! your wife must also be in the hobby! lol

nvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 10:58 AM   #38
cubetank
Registered Member

love the passion

cubetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 11:05 AM   #39
DannyDJD
Registered Member

The "Closed loop" pumps actually sit inside the large external overflow and are routed directly inside the canopy, hidden, to the farther two returns. I control the output of each pump with the Waveline controllers.

I've decided to go with Artificial salt water to avoid any impurities from NSW.

My wife enjoys the hobby for its aesthetics, but isn't a reefer...she's just VERY, VERY understanding.

There are about 21 inches above the tank, maybe about 18" or so after canopy installation, which allows for the halides to be mounted within placing the bulbs about 11 inches above the water level. Its not too hard to reach in and out of the display, although I imagine I will need to get wet every once and a while.

here are some more pics:

Peter and his brother-in-law inside the tank detailing it for the bracing install.

the tank with surrounding floor complete

Peter wearing his sunglasses at 1am indoors...gotta love it!

The bracing

More progress with the FRP...love this stuff.

The night disaster struck. When I was cleaning out the original 230 gallon vertical water storage tan I purchased (used on CL), it burst apart! Good thing this took place outside and not in the fish room.

...The Thinker

Peter added PVC board trim below the tank within the stand and his detail work is stellar. It works great for storage, is easy to clean if need be, and just looks clean.

Canopy being built. It's 3/4 wood construction, and has a gap between the actual ceiling and the canopy, with trim, to both allow for crown molding to be installed, as well as to allow for the hiding of the return plumbing.

Unread 02/03/2016, 11:05 AM   #40
DannyDJD
Registered Member

Canopy installed and bracing curing.

Peter doing what he does best.

The returns are plumbed through the euro-bracing on the tank and when hidden by the canopy keep it looking neat and clean.

Unread 02/03/2016, 12:00 PM   #41
stevem650
Registered Member

Must follow!

Current Tank Info: RedSea Reefer 750
stevem650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 01:45 PM   #42
rovster
Registered Member

Dude, I don't know you, but I want to know you, LOL! You should have a grand opening when this thing is up and running so all of us locals can come and drool! Will definitely be following along!

rovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 01:52 PM   #43
SPotter
Registered Member

amazing!!!!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 02:02 PM   #44
DannyDJD
Registered Member

HAHAHA, thanks! I'd be happy to host my fellow reefers when this thing is starting to flourish. More pics on the way!

Unread 02/03/2016, 02:07 PM   #45
Psirex
Registered Member

Where is my invite to the tank warming party........

Unread 02/03/2016, 02:38 PM   #46
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

You will really have room for just about anything you want in there. I have a 48" deep tank as well and it is a challenge to try to place things in it without getting wet. You will have fun getting it all together and up and running. You have to have a great wife as well....keep her happy.

Bogue Chitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 02:55 PM   #47
nivram
Registered Member

My 1300 gallon addiction: A Miami reef build story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDJD View Post
HAHAHA, thanks! I'd be happy to host my fellow reefers when this thing is starting to flourish. More pics on the way!

Hope you don't mind. I posted a link to your thread on our local club forum

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=235

nivram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 03:14 PM   #48
Tradewinds
Registered Member

Your tank looks to be a masterpiece. Subscribed.

Tradewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 04:07 PM   #49
DannyDJD
Registered Member

Here are some more pics:

Fish room progress

Added shelf for dosing containers

Sump coming together

Refugium...although I am planning on replacing the temporary light with a Kessil horticulture/purple grow light for the algae.

Here's the Hammerhead and Dart. All valves on this project are Asahi, and I've been very impressed with them so far.

The massive 2" Dart inlet valve

Here's the overflow with dual Durso standpipes. You can see the Waveline DC 12000's as closed loops. So far, they've worked great and definitely push some serious water.

The LumenBright reflectors I chose to go with...and yes, that's a pink cat carrier in the background...I can't win them all guys!

Here's the light rack starting to come together. The T5's in the middle with the pair of Lumenbright 400 waters on the outside. The sit within a bar that allows them to be slid in line within the canopy making access and flexibility easier. the cords are run up into the canopy and to the fish room. Notice the dedicated AC vent inside the canopy to assist with cooling. Once I get the White shaker cabinetry and doors, it'll really make a big difference. Thankfully in the month the tank has been running, the highest temp without the chiller has been 82, with an ambient house temp of 80. The large water volume and movement seems to help quite a bit.

Here's the Titanium Heat Exchanger from Universal Marine Industries out of Canada...its a beast.

Unread 02/03/2016, 04:17 PM   #50
DannyDJD
Registered Member

The Amana 1.5hp condenser and compressor being installed outside.

Installing the heat exchanger

This chiller install looked insane and brought the entire project into perspective.

QT system

Heat Exchanger installed, with frag system and new Water container, this time 250 gallons.

Here's the BioTower reactor, which basically circulates K1 (or similar) media with air and water and builds a large bacteria colony to help with nitrates. It's 48" tall and let me tell you, its quite the sight when you first see it. It's fed with a waveline DC12000 tuned to about 50%.

Peter spent a couple dozen hours buffing out the small scratches from the glass, which made the tank truly pop.