Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2020, 04:14 PM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

How can I optimize flow in my tank?

I’ve been testing my water... neurotically to say the least now that I have text kits (2-4 times a week, what can I say I’m a chemistry major.. Salifert kits are too much fun) and finally decided I’m ready to bite the bullet with intermediate corals.

I purchased a handful of SPS from fish of hex, including some poscillipora, monti cap and digitada, Stylophora, and a galaxia. The one thing my tank is missing to be ready for these corals is proper flow. I currently have a Jebao SLW-20. I’m planning on buying another powerhead (or two to replace the Jebao if needed).

I was just wondering if any more experienced members could give some input as to the placement of the power heads. I know the goal is to have them crash into each other to create some chaotic flow, and I have random flow generators coming in the mail from the return pumps. Here are a couple pictures of the tank:

I was thinking of leaving the Jebao where it is and then adding another powerhead (maybe another one or whatever RC recommends) on the left wall, a little bit lower and offset to the back of the tank.
TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2020, 05:28 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

My preference is to have at least two, located on the back glass, one in each corner ~ 1/3 of the way down. Point them up and in towards the middle for the best results.

That being said - for my 120DT, I use a pair of Gyre 250's , one on either side of my center mounted overflow box, a pair of Koralis 1500gph mounted as described above, and a pair of koralis 850gph mounted on each side one a little higher than the other and blowing behind the rocks to eliminate dead spots.

hth!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2020, 07:26 PM   #3
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
My preference is to have at least two, located on the back glass, one in each corner ~ 1/3 of the way down. Point them up and in towards the middle for the best results.

That being said - for my 120DT, I use a pair of Gyre 250's , one on either side of my center mounted overflow box, a pair of Koralis 1500gph mounted as described above, and a pair of koralis 850gph mounted on each side one a little higher than the other and blowing behind the rocks to eliminate dead spots.

hth!

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense because the streams can connect to create the chaotic flow while not blasting most of the corals with laminar flow. I’m currently trying to plot where I’ll place the new additions and am struggling to figure out where - I guess I’ll have to experiment.

My current powerhead cannot be pointed up, meaning I’d need a new one. I was thinking of an MP-10 because that’s what the channel Eat Sleep Reef ran but that has the same issue.

Do you have any recommendations for powerheads?

Unread 09/18/2020, 07:22 AM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

For powerheads that can be aimed and that won't force me to take out another mortgage, I really like the Koralias. They will easily last several years (or more) with minimal care. They are easy to take apart and clean and affordable. The only real downside to them IMO is the cords that go in the tank, but since I paint the back glass black anyway, they are pretty much invisible. You can also use their controller to help randomize their flow.

The Maxspect Gyre style are HUGE movers of water, but in most smaller tanks are major overkill. Even in my 120 if I turn them up much past 60% I risk having waves crest the front of the tank.

jm.02

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
Unread 09/18/2020, 08:18 AM   #5
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
For powerheads that can be aimed and that won't force me to take out another mortgage, I really like the Koralias. They will easily last several years (or more) with minimal care. They are easy to take apart and clean and affordable. The only real downside to them IMO is the cords that go in the tank, but since I paint the back glass black anyway, they are pretty much invisible. You can also use their controller to help randomize their flow.

The Maxspect Gyre style are HUGE movers of water, but in most smaller tanks are major overkill. Even in my 120 if I turn them up much past 60% I risk having waves crest the front of the tank.

jm.02

Thank you!

Unread 09/23/2020, 10:51 AM   #6
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:

jm.02

Do you have any recommendation about which korallia to get? I purchased the Evo1500 and it seems like it might be a bit much.

Unread 09/23/2020, 11:31 AM   #7
djryan2000
Registered Member

Here’s a video of the tank https://youtu.be/aRwyN6HD3T0

Unread 09/24/2020, 11:51 AM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

What size is it and what do you plan on keeping in it?

For Softies, aim for 20-30x. For LPS, 30-40x, and for SPS, 40+x. In my SPS dominant 120, I have about 70x turnover from power heads. I don't include the return pump in the calculations.

Unread 09/24/2020, 11:59 AM   #9
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
What size is it and what do you plan on keeping in it?

For Softies, aim for 20-30x. For LPS, 30-40x, and for SPS, 40+x. In my SPS dominant 120, I have about 70x turnover from power heads. I don't include the return pump in the calculations.

I’m hoping to go SPS dominant. I originally freaked out from seeing the surge of water hitting my front glass (I had a silly “oh no, I don’t want to bust a tank seam” panic) and because my fish retreated from the flow at first. Now they’re swimming in it and more corals are still open. It looks like I may need to up the flow more for SPS. The Jebao can pump up 2500 gph when maxed while the Korallia I picked has 1300.