Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2018, 11:17 AM   #1
steallife904
Registered Member

cyphastrea tips?

I have a cyphastrea meteor shower that has slowly faded. I think its on the brink of death and has bleached in some spots. I have had it down on the sand bed, on a low rock and now mid way but on left side. Doesn't seem to get better, in fact worse. My last thought is to put it in a spot where rocks above shade it. Any thought? ALK is 8 and calc around 420. Have Acans, Favia, torch and etc in there doing great, just not this guy. Target feed everything weekly but my nitrate and phosphate are undetectable (always have been). Cant recall what the mag is?

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 06:11 PM   #2
jmareef1022
Registered Member

Is it close to another coral that might be stinging it or anemone? If all others are doing good I suspect it being stung. Meteor shower are pretty hardy.

jmareef1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 09:39 AM   #3
steallife904
Registered Member

no not near anything. I have heard the same so its puzzling me what the deal is. Im guessing I had to much direct light on it??? I moved it last night to a shaded area, will see.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Mr. Wiggles
Registered Member

I noticed that mine would have a crackled look to the area between the polyps of my alkalinity was unstable. Maybe monitor your alk for swings.

Mr. Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2019, 12:39 PM   #5
marzvt
Registered Member

I have pretty successful cyphastrea that is growing like a weed. I run my salt at 1.025 or 34ppm my alk is much higher than yours. I keep it between 11 and 12. Calcium at 420 and ph between 8.11 and 8.25. light can definitely be a factor and too much light can make it die off. I mounted mine on a hump of a rock and the top facing the light died off but everything at a glancing angle to the light grew like crazy. It has grown around now but still won't grow on the part of the rock directly facing the light.

marzvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2019, 10:27 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Mine did the same until I attached it under a rock ledge. Took six months but now it's healthy, great colour and spreading to the entire underneath if the rock ledge.
I too keep my ALK high at 10.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote