Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2019, 02:18 AM   #1
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

Canister vs sump

I currently have a 10 gallon sump but i am considering doing something different. From what i am seeing the canister filters are basically the same as having a sump only its all contained in the canister. Is that correct? I watch a video on youtube where a guy took a 5 gallon bucket and turned it into a large canister filter. So im thinking of doing that and was curious if anyone else has done that as well.

Bremenguppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2019, 09:03 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

Can you do it? Sure. I ran a 60g cube for 22 years using a canister and a HOB filter.

The question you have to ask is this - Where will you put your heater(s), skimmer, ATO, Dosing lines, etc. If you don't mind looking at them in the DT, then go for it!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2019, 09:25 AM   #3
Diana A
Registered Member

I have been running a canister for about 6 years on a 40B. I siliconed an overflow box to place my heater, intake of the skimmer and of the canister. Never had a problem with PO4 and NO2 being high as others would have you believe. I actually need to get my number up since they are at 0 or slightly above. I use Hanna nitrite ULR and Phosphorus ULR often because my results keep drifting to 0

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cpr-r...rflow-box.html

Unread 01/13/2019, 10:18 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremenguppie View Post
From what i am seeing the canister filters are basically the same as having a sump only its all contained in the canister. Is that correct?
No not really...
A sump is used to increase water volume as well as provide additional area for extra rock to increase surface area to harbor more bacteria which is what a canister provides I suppose but potentially more importantly it can provide a place to hide equipment like skimmers,reactors, heaters, sensors/probes, dosing tubes, macro fuges, turf scrubber which serve purposes than a canister does not.

A canister is more about a place for mechanical filtration and sometimes chemical media,etc...
Mechanical filtration unless maintained almost daily just collects crap where it will quickly breakdown and get released right back into the water almost rendering the mechaincal filtration useless..

Unread 01/13/2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

Theres a guy on youtube that built a canistar out of a five gallon bucket using a gamma seal lid and some plumbing parts. He put lava rock in it and poly fil on the top. I was thinking of putting poyl fil on top then a layer of lava rock then as a final layer of those cleaning kitchen sponge things i see alot guys use for their bacteria growth. I have a heck of a time with the salt residue ruining the inside of my cabinet and walls etc. With the sump

Unread 01/13/2019, 03:29 PM   #6
OldReefGuy
Registered Member

Re: Your bucket....yes. You can do that and it works.....but cheaper to buy canister on Craigslist.....

OldReefGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2019, 04:39 PM   #7
Daddi0
Registered Member

I would stray away from lava rock and kitchen sponges.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 01/13/2019, 05:01 PM   #8
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

What would you suggest daddio

Unread 01/13/2019, 06:07 PM   #9
Daddi0
Registered Member

We ran a canister and used rubble (old live rock chunks) and you could pick up some filter floss type material from Home Depot/Lowes.. (think furnace filter)
The problem we had was it had to be cleaned often or our nitrates would shoot up to 80-100
Cheers! Mark

Unread 01/13/2019, 06:52 PM   #10
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

Hmmm okay. Thanks for the info. Ill do a little mode research

Unread 01/13/2019, 08:28 PM   #11
Cliving1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremenguppie View Post
Theres a guy on youtube that built a canistar out of a five gallon bucket using a gamma seal lid and some plumbing parts. He put lava rock in it and poly fil on the top. I was thinking of putting poyl fil on top then a layer of lava rock then as a final layer of those cleaning kitchen sponge things i see alot guys use for their bacteria growth. I have a heck of a time with the salt residue ruining the inside of my cabinet and walls etc. With the sump
Never heard of that. Also sounds like setting up a makeshift sump. He added volume in the bucket. Wrong rock choice. I would choose a sump. Never had that much salt residue unless there is unnecessary splashing in the sump.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2019, 09:32 PM   #12
marzvt
Registered Member

I tried a canister on a nano at first and it wasn’t effective and hard to maintain. I ended up going to a little sump and it is much better.

marzvt is offline   Reply With Quote