Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2017, 08:03 PM   #1
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Adding more blue to Biocube 32 LED lights

Has anyone ever thought of adding more blue lights to under the hood of the BC32? The thing I don't like about the light is that when I have it on both white and blue, it seems to be a LOT of white and not enough blue. My corals seem to be doing ok, but they just don't 'pop' unless I use just the blues and then they start to shrink because they think it's night time.

The other option I am thinking about is ripping the hood off and getting something like the AI Prime or equivalent so I can have more control.

I wish I would have known these things *before* I started, I probably would have gone with a rimless and done my own thing. Lessons learned.

Jenyphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 08:19 PM   #2
rockhead51
Registered Member

Jenny, there's a thread somewhere on here (or on clay-boa) specifically for the BC 32... There is at least one premade option for more controllable lights... Lemme see if I can find a link....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 08:28 PM   #3
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Cool, I think you might be talking about Steve's LED upgrade? I have seen it but didn't really look too much into it, I should take another look.

I am seriously considering going topless (lol) and getting the AI Prime HD so that it's programmable.

Unread 05/09/2017, 08:45 PM   #4
rockhead51
Registered Member

Jenny, yes. Steve's. Not cheap, but then, what is in this game?
I like the topless idea; just don't remove the Cube's top, too! LOL!

Unread 05/09/2017, 08:48 PM   #5
rockhead51
Registered Member

Just had a thought: never tried it, but what if you ran just the sunrise/sunset (or "enhanced" as Coralife calls it) program without daylights? After the ramp up, does it stay in enhanced mode, or does it assume that we all go to whites at that time?

Unread 05/09/2017, 09:09 PM   #6
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Hmmmm...interesting. If you run the demo mode..it wilk cycle through all the settings.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Unread 05/10/2017, 01:45 PM   #7
Therinx
Registered Member

There's also RapidLED.

Therinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 01:49 PM   #8
Therinx
Registered Member

And almost forgot - Nanobox retrofit.

Therinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 02:46 PM   #9
ReefWreak
Registered Member

You could always add supplemental LEDs as well. People used to use these Ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips to add supplemental blue to their tanks. When I bought my tank, it came with 3 Ecoxotic Pro modules that were heavily blue. I've since changed to the RapidLED kit, and can control the coloration a bit more, so I just dial blue to 100% and turn down the white/color LED string to get it just blue enough.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 05:07 AM   #10
SueandDavesReef
Registered Member

I have been running the stock lights since I started the tank almost 3 months now. Got some montis and some acros they seem happy and healthy. We will see how much growth these lights will produce. Jen did you add new lights??

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

SueandDavesReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 08:48 PM   #11
mcaswell
Registered Member

Found this post when googling for "how to add more blue to BioCube 32", and wanted to contribute a little info for the sake of anyone else who might be seeking an answer to the same question.

I too found the stock BC32 lighting to be just a little too warm in color temp. While a more powerful (and adjustable) LED retrofit kit is the most solid solution, given that I don't think I need more powerful lighting at the moment, I wanted to try some less expensive options.

It looks like the strip lights mentioned a few posts back are discontinued, but I found something similar on Amazon that works pretty well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X84LTBY

I purchased two of these (the 14.5") for $15 each. One is suction-cupped to the black area of the splash shield, and the other is zip-tied just behind the feed door (they are submersible). While the amount of light that these put out appears relatively insignificant, they do indeed provide the exact shift in color I was hoping for.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 472_2324.jpg (70.3 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 472_2329.jpg (58.5 KB, 141 views)
mcaswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 08:48 PM   #12
mickeyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaswell View Post
Found this post when googling for "how to add more blue to BioCube 32", and wanted to contribute a little info for the sake of anyone else who might be seeking an answer to the same question.

I too found the stock BC32 lighting to be just a little too warm in color temp. While a more powerful (and adjustable) LED retrofit kit is the most solid solution, given that I don't think I need more powerful lighting at the moment, I wanted to try some less expensive options.

It looks like the strip lights mentioned a few posts back are discontinued, but I found something similar on Amazon that works pretty well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X84LTBY

I purchased two of these (the 14.5") for $15 each. One is suction-cupped to the black area of the splash shield, and the other is zip-tied just behind the feed door (they are submersible). While the amount of light that these put out appears relatively insignificant, they do indeed provide the exact shift in color I was hoping for.

How has your coral growth been? I am about to order the same two strips for my BC32. Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 10:08 PM   #13
PacoPetty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfish View Post
How has your coral growth been? I am about to order the same two strips for my BC32. Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

Did you order two and are you running them? I am afraid two will be too much for my 32 gallon.

PacoPetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 05:00 PM   #14
mickeyfish
Registered Member

I actually went with 3 ReefBars (link below). Two in Actnic and one 50/50. Great so far.

http://www.21ledusa.com/category_s/1830.htm

Unread 04/07/2018, 06:30 PM   #15
CindyK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyphur View Post
Has anyone ever thought of adding more blue lights to under the hood of the BC32? The thing I don't like about the light is that when I have it on both white and blue, it seems to be a LOT of white and not enough blue. My corals seem to be doing ok, but they just don't 'pop' unless I use just the blues and then they start to shrink because they think it's night time.

The other option I am thinking about is ripping the hood off and getting something like the AI Prime or equivalent so I can have more control.

I wish I would have known these things *before* I started, I probably would have gone with a rimless and done my own thing. Lessons learned.
Hi Jenny, I have that EXACT issue. The tank is primarily softies (1 hammer) so the corals are fine but I don't like the look. I don't need more PAR, just different spectrum.

I got a deal on a used Kessil 160WE. Now the problem is creating a top without springing for something like Artfully Acrylic. Have you gotten that far in your thinking, or were you just going to leave it open?

Cindy

Current Tank Info: 75 gal mixed reef under construction, 32 gal Biocube softies
CindyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 07:36 PM   #16
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyK View Post
Hi Jenny, I have that EXACT issue. The tank is primarily softies (1 hammer) so the corals are fine but I don't like the look. I don't need more PAR, just different spectrum.

I got a deal on a used Kessil 160WE. Now the problem is creating a top without springing for something like Artfully Acrylic. Have you gotten that far in your thinking, or were you just going to leave it open?

Cindy

You could always convert it to rimless and use a gooseneck with your kessil.

Djbeasley05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 08:32 PM   #17
CindyK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbeasley05 View Post
You could always convert it to rimless and use a gooseneck with your kessil.

Thanks for the input! I have the gooseneck and I think I can make it work with or without the rim.

Looking for suggestions to DIY a screen top. The slight curve in the front is most of the challenge....the rim is a pain too. I don't trust the tank without the rim. I know others have done it but I don't think it was designed to be strong enough.

Unread 04/08/2018, 10:26 AM   #18
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyK View Post
Thanks for the input! I have the gooseneck and I think I can make it work with or without the rim.

Looking for suggestions to DIY a screen top. The slight curve in the front is most of the challenge....the rim is a pain too. I don't trust the tank without the rim. I know others have done it but I don't think it was designed to be strong enough.

6 months with no rim. I know it’s a gamble. I’m constantly checking the seams. Lol

Djbeasley05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 05:44 PM   #19
CindyK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbeasley05 View Post

6 months with no rim. I know it’s a gamble. I’m constantly checking the seams. Lol

I'm way to chicken.

Unread 04/30/2018, 08:43 AM   #20
Remmers
Registered Member

Quote:
I actually went with 3 ReefBars (link below). Two in Actnic and one 50/50. Great so far.

http://www.21ledusa.com/category_s/1830.htm
Not to hijack the thread but do you have any pictures with these added on?

Thanks

Remmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2018, 08:46 AM   #21
mickeyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmers View Post
Not to hijack the thread but do you have any pictures with these added on?

Thanks

Here is the tank with supplemental lighting. I’ll get a picture of how the bars are installed later.

Unread 05/07/2018, 09:40 AM   #22
rockhead51
Registered Member

Not sure where to put this-- please repost as you see the need:
I just bought the Steve's LEDs. Before I install though, I wanted to clean up the stock splash guard, which had a lot of encrusted salt and some pitting/corrosion.
Stroke of genius: I used the 3M headlight restoration kit. Worked like a champ. Immediately noticed the "shimmer" coming back. Can't wait to install the new LEDs.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Unread 12/20/2018, 03:39 AM   #23
NotSoAmish
Registered Member

Reefbar (21LEDUSA)

Quote:
Here is the tank with supplemental lighting. I’ll get a picture of how the bars are installed later.

Hi Mickeyfish. I bought the same Same Reefbars from 21LEDUSA. Can you post a pick of how you mounted them or describe it here?

NotSoAmish is offline   Reply With Quote