Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2018, 10:27 AM   #126
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I think with the volume of your wall, you'll need every trick in the book. It sounds like you've got it covered though. I hope I haven't bee too annoying about it!
I hope so too. You aren't annoying at all. If anything, you've inspired me to plan ahead to make it work!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2018, 11:17 AM   #127
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I remember getting annoyed with all the suggestions I got when working on my fake root. Many of them suggested I abandon my plan and start over. Annoying! But I'm sure they were just trying to help. I think with all the gluing and wedging, you'll be good.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2018, 12:34 PM   #128
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks man, I sure hope so.

Yeah, and the truth is that your root endured the test of time. I think that sometimes, people post what they assume might happen based on reading other peoples opinions, and somehow that becomes common thought over time. Then they spout those opinions in a way to warn you of dangers that they heard about. I think that people mean well, and are trying to help. That is why we experiment, to find ways to make things work. Then, when our experimentation works, the results speak for themselves. Others learn from that.

...That said...

I have to admit, I'm a bit worried about it. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the structure in place...we will see! All I know is that I will have to stock up on some silicone!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 08/08/2018, 03:20 PM   #129
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well, it endured for about four years. And to be fair my method was out there - tin foil and duct tape! I agree, sometimes people use the forum to spout knowledge and put down others' ideas.

I just did that myself, to lapin. Sorry lapin! Ignore me and give your idea a go! New ideas advance the hobby.

I understand your worries. Buoyancy is powerful!

Unread 08/09/2018, 07:48 AM   #130
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Yeah, that is true, but I think most people are trying to be helpful.

Regarding the foam buoyancy, I think that my build will be OK. After fitting the entire thing into my tank, I realized that there is no way that this thing will float up. It fits so tightly that I can't get it out unless I force two sections to part at the junction. I could barely fit it all in (see my thread for more). Anyway, just to be safe, I'm going to use a lot of silicone, so this might be a good time to buy stock in the silicone manufacturer!

I can't wait to see what you do with your wall, especially incorporating a side wall as well. I hope that you're getting excited as you go. I've found that after I am satisfied with the progress, my urge to move forward increases to the point that it's all that I think about. Life getting in the way frustrates me unless it's my fun activities. But, even doing those makes me feel guilty about not working on my tank.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 08/09/2018, 11:15 AM   #131
BonesCJ
Registered Member

Quote:
Who puts dirt in their aquarium!? Talk to me…
Going through your thread after being off the boards for awhile, great stuff!

A bunch of years ago in a freshwater planted tank of mine I got organic garden soil from Home depot, did this thing where you soak it, drain off the water, resoak and repeat several times. Then I mixed it half and half with play sand and set that as a two to three inch substrate on the bottom of my tank. Added another inch of regular play sand on top of that.

My heavy root feeders such as Amazon swords and Crypts absolutely loved it! They grew like monsters and the only time I had issues was when I had to pull and thin the plants. Even then if you pulled slow most of the soil mix stayed below the surface.

*** EDIT ***

So I remembered its called mineralized Top Soil, here is the link to an article on it.

https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...on-talbot.html

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon Green Garden O Macros

Last edited by BonesCJ; 08/09/2018 at 11:29 AM.
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2018, 11:55 AM   #132
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm crossing my fingers for you, Kevin! I think you've got it.

I'm getting excited about the wall upgrade too. It's funny how you gain momentum, working on this stuff. The closer I get to completing it, the more excited I get! I think the new left end fake wall will take the tank to another level. Can't wait!

Unread 08/09/2018, 12:17 PM   #133
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Unread 08/10/2018, 11:27 PM   #134
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Welcome back Chris! Great link, thanks!

Diana Walstad's book "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" was my intro to using dirt in aquariums. It makes so much sense. Just as in Nature, the soil is the foundation of the ecosystem.

Unread 08/14/2018, 09:45 PM   #135
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I got the fake root clear coated and silicone sealed, over the weekend. So the root project is done. Woo!

Next is getting the wave box placed and situated. Once that's done, I can build the fake wall to hide it, and the rest of the left end, flow-through wall. I guess it's time to buy some egg crate and pond foam. It should be a fairly straightforward project. Hiding the 'vents' in the wall could be challenging to get right. Plus I want it to blend into the back fake wall. If I get it right, it should look very cool and natural!

There will be very little rock on the bottom. Almost all sand. And seagrass. A few live rocks under the roots will host a small number of macros. In v1, the macros eventually took over. This time I want the grasses to dominate. I'm really liking the vision. Will I ever get there?

Unread 08/15/2018, 04:46 PM   #136
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

After comparing photos, I've come to the conclusion that what I thought was a flowering manatee grass in my tank (v1), was in fact a widgeon grass instead. The key to figuring it out was the 'sheaths' at the joints.

So, all that bragging I did, I'll have to take back. I have no experience with seagrass flowering in my aquarium. It's still a goal though, lofty as it is!

Unread 08/15/2018, 06:08 PM   #137
SaltySully
Registered Member

I think with the right combo of light, high flow and proprt nutrients it should happen easier than you think. They are just grass

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

SaltySully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 09:18 AM   #138
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
I got the fake root clear coated and silicone sealed, over the weekend. So the root project is done. Woo!

Next is getting the wave box placed and situated. Once that's done, I can build the fake wall to hide it, and the rest of the left end, flow-through wall. I guess it's time to buy some egg crate and pond foam. It should be a fairly straightforward project. Hiding the 'vents' in the wall could be challenging to get right. Plus I want it to blend into the back fake wall. If I get it right, it should look very cool and natural!

There will be very little rock on the bottom. Almost all sand. And seagrass. A few live rocks under the roots will host a small number of macros. In v1, the macros eventually took over. This time I want the grasses to dominate. I'm really liking the vision. Will I ever get there?
Awesome! I can't wait to see the progress. At some point, you'll post pics, right? Gotta document I'm sure you'll get there. Progress made...one step at a time.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 08/16/2018, 01:53 PM   #139
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks SaltySully! Easier than I thought would be lovely!

This being my second time around with seagrass, makes me pretty confident. In v1, I started very cautiously, which I think led to the grasses taking a long time to get established.

There are three things I will do better from the beginning. I will start with a much more fertile substrate. I will populate the bottom of the food chain. I will have a clean up crew that I truly believe in.

The best thing about a redo is that I can apply what I learned before. Bottom line, I think I'll be able to speed up the grasses' establishment time and get the tank looking nice quicker.

Unread 08/16/2018, 01:57 PM   #140
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin! Well, I did post a pic of the fake root, after I painted it. Getting it sealed didn't really change its appearance, so I don't plan to post another pic of it. I of course will post pics of the new fake wall project. I'm looking forward to it!

Unread 08/17/2018, 06:43 AM   #141
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
I of course will post pics of the new fake wall project. I'm looking forward to it!
Yes, that is what I was referring to, the future/progress, like you did with your other thread during the construction. People will be interested in how you do things, especially if they wish to set up a tank like yours, or have similar goals. I don't mean to imply that you won't do that, rather that we are looking forward to it.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 08/17/2018, 04:41 PM   #142
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin! Since the new fake wall will be much more involved, I'll be sure to post pics and explanations for what I'm doing. Man, I'm looking forward to showing off some progress too!

Sam.basye turned me onto his foam technique that I think will be an improvement over what I did originally. I tended to do long lines of foam, which didn't look natural. I ended up sanding it down, so it didn't really matter, but still, I'd like it to look more natural. Sam did random dollops. It looks good! I'll probably end up sanding down this one too, so it goes with the other one. Still, I think starting with more natural looking foam can't hurt.

As with the original, I'll want to keep this wall as thin as practical. Less foam, less buoyancy. I actually think sanding was good to trim it down, as well as to open up some of the cells to help take on water.

Unread 08/17/2018, 11:32 PM   #143
sam.basye
Registered Member

Weeds

:burning ears: lol

I’m with Chasmodes.. gotta give the people what they want: more pictures!

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 10:16 PM   #144
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

He's alive!

OK, so I snapped some pics for ya! These are from my QT. Besides quarantining, I'm also doing some Damsel Testing. I've been looking into damsels lately, and I was curious to see how these two got along. They both have a reputation as being more mellow then the usual damsels. And I love how sturdy they are. Talbot's Damsel and Springer's Damsel.

System progress: today I cut out larger openings over the flow-through partitioned end of the tank. I need them as large as possible for better access. I need to figure out where everything's going to go. I'm also trying to visualize the new fake wall. I bought foam and egg crate.

Unread 08/20/2018, 07:39 AM   #145
McPuff
Registered Member

Great choices on the damsels. You shouldn't have problems with either one. I've got a Talbott's now and think it's great. Very pretty, fun personality, and clever.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 11:41 AM   #146
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks McPuff. Yes, the Talbot's been great, so far. The Springer is a little less mellow, but still a lot less aggro than a typical damsel. Plus they eat flatworms.

Unread 08/20/2018, 02:46 PM   #147
Chasmodes
Registered Member

The damsels look great! They should keep the center of the water column busy. Thanks for the pics too

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 08/20/2018, 03:18 PM   #148
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin. I'm continuing my bullet proof fish theme, so I had to look at damsels. I loved the first damsels I had, in my first marine tank. I had always thought it would be cool to revisit them down the road. So now I'm looking at these mild mannered versions.

I'm also continuing my theme of multiple fish of each species. Since my tank isn't huge, it makes sense to use smaller fish. I'm hoping to keep multiple schools of sturdy, community fish, in a fairly peaceful community. I also plan to keep another harem of Royal Grammas. That experience was pretty awesome. This time I want to have three or four different schools swimming about. With all the colorful, small fish, it should be dazzling!

Unread 08/21/2018, 06:00 AM   #149
Chasmodes
Registered Member

That sounds exciting. It's not only gardening with plants and macros, but also fish. Art!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 08/21/2018, 07:39 AM   #150
McPuff
Registered Member

The Talbott's would be a nice choice for a small group. You could also consider some yellow tail damsels. They are also quite docile and have terrific color/contrast. The grammas are a must-have! I need to get another for sure. Had considered a trio but not sure I will actually do it.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass