Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2017, 09:15 PM   #1
maymond
Registered Member

Mp 40 qd wet side randomly falling off

Like the heading says . Sometimes my mp 40 qd wet side just falls off the magnet . I have the right size spacer for the glass . I've triple checked . I'm scared to even put it in feed mode because when I start the schedule back up it's guaranteed to fall off . When it does it makes a loud clicking noise and falls off . Glass is clean also . Is this a common problem ? It seems like it has a lot of play in the wet side . Should I try the smaller spacer? The unit is maybe 6 to 8 months old .

maymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Jppfonseca
Registered Member

That is a common problem, apparently when you use low speed it happen... I have two that do the some :-(. No answers from EcoTech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jppfonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 08:39 AM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

This is one of the things I tried to tell ecotech myself, the wet sides I got that were defective would pop off on start up, like there was too much resistance or something, and I noticed the screens barely secure, so if you try to fine tune them by twisting or turning the screen can just pop right off barely even touching it.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 09:03 AM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jppfonseca View Post
That is a common problem, apparently when you use low speed it happen... I have two that do the some :-(. No answers from EcoTech

Low speed should not be an issue, they told me we should be running these at low speed for the first two weeks to break them in.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 04/20/2017, 09:55 AM   #5
Jppfonseca
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Low speed should not be an issue, they told me we should be running these at low speed for the first two weeks to break them in.

Not with mine! I ended buying two MP10QD.....

Jppfonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 10:06 PM   #6
luisagos
Registered Member

I have 2 MP40W Quiet Drive on 3/4 glass, no spacer.
Also have that thin black round sticky rubber attach to the dry side. Make sure that part (rubber) is on the glass and the sticky side on the dry side.

Run them at 1% all night, never had them fall off.

I had the normal MP40Wes, these are so quiet, I never understood how quiet my tank can be, I can hear the overflows now, never could before.
One more thing, the flow are so much more than the old style.
Was thinking buying four of them. With the new style only need two.

luisagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2017, 09:56 PM   #7
Sekunda
Registered Member

Are you guys using the sticky tabs and zip ties they suggest to use to keep them from falling?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 29 Gal Reef tank
Sekunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 02:28 PM   #8
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekunda View Post
Are you guys using the sticky tabs and zip ties they suggest to use to keep them from falling?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not like they are just sliding off, like due to dirty glass or wrong spacer, it's like they are not in sinc, like the magnetic pull is reversed or something, so you turn them on, and like OP described, you hear a pop and they repel from each other in a semi violent manner that could actually damage your glass or dry side as it falls.
My dry side put a ding in my cabinet from this.
I was kinda glad to see this post because they made it seem like I was the only person that had this problem, and they especially made me feel like it was me being stupid because I actually got 2 in a row that did this.

And yes, I understand many people are not having these issues, like I mentioned one brand new one has been perfectly fine, the other brand new one gave me issues.

I've had about a dozen vorts over the years, it's a great design, they are still my favorite pump, but there's some bad wet sides floating around, perhaps a faulty batch, these things happen, but I wish they would step up on customer service for those having issues, and people should speak up so they are aware this is not an isolated case or user error as they are really pushing the blame on.

Unread 05/16/2017, 05:00 PM   #9
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
It's not like they are just sliding off, like due to dirty glass or wrong spacer, it's like they are not in sinc, like the magnetic pull is reversed or something, so you turn them on, and like OP described, you hear a pop and they repel from each other in a semi violent manner that could actually damage your glass or dry side as it falls.
My dry side put a ding in my cabinet from this.
I was kinda glad to see this post because they made it seem like I was the only person that had this problem, and they especially made me feel like it was me being stupid because .

This is exactly what I'm going through now.
I was having a issue with my L1 on my closed loop and I have a new MP40QD as a backup, so I pulled the L1 and put the MP40QD in place and plugged it in and same thing. The wet side and the dry side acted like they were in opposite polarity and the dry side popped off pretty hard.
Tried it with the thin spacer first, then the medium spacer.
Same thing.
Been using these powerheads for years. This is a first for me.

On top of this my L1 is having issues too.

Unread 05/16/2017, 06:50 PM   #10
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
This is exactly what I'm going through now.
I was having a issue with my L1 on my closed loop and I have a new MP40QD as a backup, so I pulled the L1 and put the MP40QD in place and plugged it in and same thing. The wet side and the dry side acted like they were in opposite polarity and the dry side popped off pretty hard.
Tried it with the thin spacer first, then the medium spacer.
Same thing.
Been using these powerheads for years. This is a first for me.

On top of this my L1 is having issues too.

I think I may have figured out my issue.
I pulled the wetside apart and the prop would barely turn.
So it's frozen/locked up.

Unread 05/19/2017, 09:01 AM   #11
Yellow Eyes
Registered Member

This happened to me too with mp10qd's...A clean with vinegar solved it, and it spun perfectly freely. I put it into the tank and two days later it pops right off. This has happened a dozen times between the two (less than 1 year old) powerheads. It has completly turned me off of ecotech stuff.

I should add that my powerheads never spun more than 40%...not even half the power that they're rated for and they fail within a year...garbage.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon with Herbie overflow, 29 gallon sump with Cheato, Ecotech MP10wQD, Kessil A360WE, AquaC EV120, BRS 2 Part Dosing
Yellow Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote