Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2018, 04:03 PM   #176
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Thanks. It sure can. I feel my tag line is very true some days.

I've been out of state for several days and Tuesday when I get back home I'm going to do a couple of projects to get my tank cleaned up into shape. I'm going to install a remote deep sand bed! I've located a 40 breeder and am going to almost fill it completely with sand. I keep having a problem with nitrates and want to get away from carbon dosing. Next up I'll be cleaning up the dead corals and sand out of both tanks. I am contemplating installing a new skimmer I picked up our installing a neck cleaner in the one I have. Time will tell on that one.
Nice! I’ve never had a rdsb let me down. Personally I think they work better than bio media like sipoeax or matrix- that’s my experience, anyways.. they take some time to get going but they work..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 08:37 PM   #177
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
I’ve always thought a remote deep sand bed would be cool. Especially if it was either replaceable or replenishable. Have you given any consideration to siporax as an option because it seems extremely good at lowering nitrates although the effect may take some months to kick in.

I'm basing mine after Anthony Caflo's design. It shouldn't expire as I'll be sending clean water to it. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...ep+sand+bucket

I already have 25 plus liters of matrix and 15ish liters of siporax. I have it in various containers and I don't think it has ever really worked. I've taken it out and put it in more passive flow ect. I don't know how I can't be nitrate limited with the amount of live rock and matrix/siporax in my system. It seems my system has never established the right denitrifying bacteria. I don't know how to get it to either. I'm sick and tired of carbon dosing too. I would just like to have a system that processes nitrate.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 08:38 PM   #178
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Nice! I’ve never had a rdsb let me down. Personally I think they work better than bio media like sipoeax or matrix- that’s my experience, anyways.. they take some time to get going but they work..
I haven't either so this seems like a good solution to me.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 01/23/2018, 06:19 PM   #179
Pife
Registered Member

Well I cleaned my glad and took some quick and dirty pictures. My RDSB (remote deep sand bed) will be up and running this weekend. I picked up a drilled 40 breeder with overflow that I plan on pretty much filling with sand.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Unread 01/23/2018, 06:29 PM   #180
reefmutt
Registered Member

That’s quite the awesome fish collection.
The tank will love the dsb.
Corals look happy enough..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 01/26/2018, 07:07 AM   #181
Pife
Registered Member

Thank you. I really do enjoy my fish.

A lot of corals have there polyps completely retracted. I hope with the up coming local frag swap to be able to add some nice new Coral and kinda be refreshed in the hobby.

Unread 01/26/2018, 09:07 PM   #182
Pife
Registered Member

I'm so ****ed at myself and Apex right now! I've finally figured out my issues. Does any one see anything while with the picture? It changed a lot of stuff when I updated it.

Unread 01/26/2018, 10:54 PM   #183
Pife
Registered Member

It changed my Auto feeders, skimmer, and heater's to be controlled differently. ATF's were changed to be controlled like heater's and were way over feeding. The heater's and skimmer were turned into lights. This explains my heat issues and why my skimmer was randomly overflowing. I hope to see so marked improvement in the next couple of days and weeks. My nitrates are at 10 and my po4 is .04. I think the temp swings have been the biggest killer of acros.

Unread 01/27/2018, 01:47 AM   #184
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

NO3 seems to be ~10 ppm. Do you test under artificial lights, Brandon? I carry out my tests during day time in a north facing room.

Moreover, I still use an old colour card because I found that the new colour cards are slightly darker giving rise to higher readings. By the way, I check my NO3 test kits with a reference solution. I have never needed to adjust readings of my Salifert test kits with the old colour card.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 12:37 PM   #185
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
NO3 seems to be ~10 ppm. Do you test under artificial lights, Brandon? I carry out my tests during day time in a north facing room.

Moreover, I still use an old colour card because I found that the new colour cards are slightly darker giving rise to higher readings. By the way, I check my NO3 test kits with a reference solution. I have never needed to adjust readings of my Salifert test kits with the old colour card.

Bulent I agree that it's around 10. I use an LED light that I used for many years to get a color that I can see well. I have two test kits that I check against each other. I like that my nitrates are around 10 it's the 300ml a day of vinegar I don't like putting into my tank. I would like to run a more hands off system that is a huge draw to the RDSB.

This morning several acros in my DT have much more PE! There are about half of them that still look like crap with very little to no PE and quite a bit of STN. I'm betting the temp swings were the ultimate demise of the majority of corals.

Unread 01/28/2018, 09:13 PM   #186
Pife
Registered Member

Things are just looking so much better. Temps are stable.

Unread 01/30/2018, 05:25 PM   #187
Pife
Registered Member

With the way my tank is looking I'm going to go get some new acros this week! I like new acros.

Unread 01/30/2018, 09:40 PM   #188
reefmutt
Registered Member

Mmmmmmmmmm new acros....

Unread 01/31/2018, 06:17 PM   #189
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Mmmmmmmmmm new acros....
Me too. Nothing cures anything like a couple new acros.

I can't remember the last time I was this excited to see corraline algae growing. It's back to getting on the glass after several days. Things are looking up indeed.

Unread 02/01/2018, 04:35 PM   #190
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

God damn that Regal is stunning!!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 07:10 PM   #191
Pife
Registered Member

He's a beauty. Almost everyone's favorite.

Today as I was messing in the sump I think I found my source of nitrates. I think it's all the matrix and siporax. I moved a basket and it was a cloud. Was it mulm from bacteria? Was it detritus? I wish I knew.

Unread 02/09/2018, 11:23 PM   #192
Pife
Registered Member

So today I think I found the source of my nitrates. I completely cleaned my entire sump out. I removed all of the Rock and water. I found my lyretail damsel it has beautiful streamers and a yellow Watchman goby in there. After removing all of that there was two to four in of detritus left. I vacuumed all that stinky crap out. I put all my Matrix and siporax and rock back into my sump but not before I rinse them off in old tank water. I stacked The Rock much tighter so that I would have a larger area to grow chaeto. On that front I also ordered a new 300 watt grow light that should be here Sunday. Hopefully with these wholesale changes my system will be balanced back out and back to growing and coloring up beautiful acros.

Unread 02/10/2018, 03:25 AM   #193
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Hi Brandon, what you perceive as detritus is more likely to be silt. I personally do not think it will have any impact on NO3 or PO4. Detritus that initially accumulates on sump floor is quickly consumed by copepods, bacteria and microbes. Its remains then settle as silt. Some people have the opposite view and do not allow any detritus to settle by using very fine filter socks. I hope in your case I am wrong.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 08:53 AM   #194
plyle02
Registered Member

Hi Brandon, Looking good, glad to see things coming along

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 10:08 AM   #195
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Hi Brandon, what you perceive as detritus is more likely to be silt. I personally do not think it will have any impact on NO3 or PO4. Detritus that initially accumulates on sump floor is quickly consumed by copepods, bacteria and microbes. Its remains then settle as silt. Some people have the opposite view and do not allow any detritus to settle by using very fine filter socks. I hope in your case I am wrong.
Well dang. I was hoping that was the issue. Any ideas where they could be coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Hi Brandon, Looking good, glad to see things coming along
Thanks man.

Unread 02/11/2018, 07:52 PM   #196
Pife
Registered Member

My new fuge light is here and installed. Holy crap is it bright! I hope this is why I could grow cheato. This is my plan to get away from carbon dosing. I also bought 5 killer acros. Let's how everything is in line as they are going straight into the display.

Unread 02/12/2018, 07:56 AM   #197
Ucantwin
Registered Member

I have that same light and it grows my chaeto very well.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 07:05 PM   #198
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
I have that same light and it grows my chaeto very well.
Any tips to offer?

I need to get and better pictures but the blue teniusish coral I bought yesterday is so blue. It rivals any Oregon tort I've seen in person. There is also a little taste of how I mount frags.

Unread 02/12/2018, 09:10 PM   #199
biecacka
Registered Member

Brandon, do you puttee epoxy right on the frag?

corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 10:12 PM   #200
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Brandon, do you puttee epoxy right on the frag?

corey

I do not. I dry the frag at where I'd like to mount it(typically the cut edge). I then apply super glue gel. I then add putty by touching it to the frag and twisting it back and forth until it creates a bond which is very tight. I then add super glue gel to the end of the putty and let a drip begin to form and then put it under water to my desired spot. I also twist and push the putty/glue into the rock work. I then smooth the edges or push sand into the putty for a more natural look.

If you look at the frag in the center, front of my tank that I just mounted I left it up on a stick of putty. This will allow the mille to sprout more branches faster in my experience.

It may have been more detail then needed but it could help others. A little tip that I do too is pour some super glue onto the plate so I can dip the putty into it instead of trying to use the bottle every time. I also pre mix and divide the putty before all of this. Oh yeah one more tip. I place the corals on to the plate in the appropriate locations in correlation to my tanks Aquascape.