Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/20/2017, 01:57 PM   #1
LX20000
Registered Member

Tunze Nano Osmolator does not time out

I have a nano Osmolator.... the other day I had it out of the sump on my IM40 to clean. While out, I decided to test it

1. Let float go down, starts pumping
2. Push up float, pumping stops

Great... working...

Now...

1. Let float down, starts pumping
2. Leave float down, see how time-out works

Pump never stops pumping.... I pushed float up at 6 minute mark, and it stopped.

Tried again, for 7 minutes. Just ran and ran and ran. Tried both jumper positions.

Why would the controller be able to turn the pump on and off via the float signal, but no longer have a timeout ??????

LX20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 02:31 PM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Can you get me the date off the silver sticker on the controller? It is 6 digits, year and month so 201512 for example. There have been a few versions of circuit board, the oldest ones from 2012-2015 were component based where later ones were system on a chip. The component based ones this can be an indication of a bad pump, basically it is stopping and in a fraction of a second the pump creates a discharge when stopped and resets the entire controller, I have seen this before on older units, I have never seen it on the system on a chip type which works by monitoring power consumption of the pump. If you try it again watch the pump very closely, if it is older and the pump stops for the briefest blip, the safety is working and a bad pump is resetting it, the safety on these was much more primitive as the components have a + or - margin instead of an absolute that a pump using more than 900mA is shut down. It is also possible for water damage to cause this, but I have only seen this a few times and it was on older units where damage at the relay created a direct short to power so only the float interrupting the power to the relay could stop the float, this would be fairly obvious with it open.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2017, 03:26 PM   #3
LX20000
Registered Member

Only had it a few months.

Tried another test.... 9 minutes... pump never wavered... never stopped and started, sputtered... pumped like a madman for 9 straight minutes. As soon as I tipped the sensor to the filled position, it shut off instantly.

Unread 12/22/2017, 03:52 PM   #4
LX20000
Registered Member

Ah Ha !

Well, after my last message it dawned on me I was being dense. I had everything I needed to do a test, since I had just bought another Osmolator mini for my Innovative Marine 30L

So I did a test...

1. With the NEW pump hooked up to my OLD controller, the pump DOES NOT shut off.

2. With the NEW controller hooked up to my NEW pump, it shuts off

3. With the NEW controller hooked to the OLD pump, it shuts off

Bingo. It's the controller. It will not shut off either the existing or new pump. The new controller (up to this point never used), WILL SUCCESSFULLY shut off both the old pump and the new pump.

Unread 12/26/2017, 09:54 AM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

That is very strange, can you email me a photo of the silver sticker and the circuit board and we can get it exchanged? Tunze at sbcglobal dot net

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 12/30/2017, 05:29 PM   #6
mandrieu
Registered Member

Hey Roger, I have a (relatively) similar problem. I moved the jumper to the 3 minutes position (effectively removing the jumper) and the pump runs non-stop, forever, ignoring the sensor, no matter what the sensor level is. If I put the jumper back to the "2 minutes" position, everything works fine: pump starts/stops based on sensor level, and cuts off at the 1 minute 48 seconds mark otherwise. The 6 digit code in my sticker says 201608

Common sense is a very uncommon sense...
My Tank: 125 G Mixed Reef. Kessil 360. Reef Octopus BH2000.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gallon Reef, Kessil 360
mandrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 10:14 AM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

That one is definitely a software problem, they work fine in 1 min 48 second and fail in 3 minute setting and that was only in the 201608/09 date code time and almost all were intercepted and fixed. I believe you emailed as well and if you reply to my email with the info I need we can get it exchanged.

Unread 01/07/2018, 10:07 AM   #8
mandrieu
Registered Member

Thanks for your kind help Roger

Common sense is a very uncommon sense...
My Tank: 125 G Mixed Reef. Kessil 360. Reef Octopus BH2000.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gallon Reef, Kessil 360
mandrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 02:56 PM   #9
LX20000
Registered Member

Mine was my fault... water damage.....